Religious Background

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
Tahiru Jegga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tahiru-jegga.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Re: Religious Background

Post by Tahiru Jegga »

The Bible is more than a religious text. It's a compendiums of truths that can be applied by anyone, anywhere no matter the religious inclination.
Christine Tamuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-tamuno.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Christine Tamuno »

I personally don't feel the religious quotes ans references used in the book will be that much of a problem for a non-christian reader. Most of the things said in the book dosen't any audience to convert to Christianity before they can apply it.
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

As a non-Christian, I have found many valuable passages from the Bible that make sense and ring true to me. But I don't necessarily look at these as spiritual or religious. I don't see why a person of another faith--or no religion--would object to examples taken from the Bible. I have always found that there are many more similarities among religious beliefs and practices than there are differences. All religions have guidance on living life and how to navigate through difficulties or challenges; Christianity is just one of them.
Nedim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedim.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Nedim »

I don't think the few quotes used here can prevent anybody really interested in discovering their purpose. If you find out that what I'm sharing is beneficial to you, then understand that my use of scriptures will also be beneficial. Hence, it doesn't change a thing.
WriteOn
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writeon.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by WriteOn »

I appreciate that the skilled use of quotes from any faith can be appropriate and helpful. It can also disadvantage readers who don't have the religious knowledge required to appreciate the story behind the quote and its full significance.
There is a risk that a reader may feel a sense of the author trying to impose their beliefs on others if a book is bias towards a specific religion. That is my concern, it is not a criticism of Rob White or any religion. I don't doubt that he has everyone's' best interest at heart when he shares his knowledge and that he wants his books to be inclusive. I recall reading that he acknowledges the value of all religions and that his next book will reflect this.
Krista Kirby-Dempsey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2483
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-kirby-dempsey.html
Latest Review: The House of Spark by Luminita Laflash

Post by Krista Kirby-Dempsey »

I feel it depends more on what type of reader you are. Some people can get something out of anything regardless of their belief system, others it doesn't matter.
Yulisa Sanchez
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yulisa-sanchez.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Yulisa Sanchez »

In my opinion, using religous texts in self help books such as this one is an added bonus to the reader because all religious texts, regardless of religion, contain wisdom and truths that have been passed down through generations. Such knowledge should not be forgotten or easily dismissed as it has affected humans to this day. Most religions if boiled down share very similar guidelines and values.
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html

Post by Kavita Shah »

To a certain extent, self-help book based on religious scripture can limit the audience. To readers who want to learn the interesting principles it might not hinder in the slightest.
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html

Post by Ruthwriter »

I think anybody can get motivated by this book. irrespective of one's beliefs. The application to one's life is therefore very simple, take away the religious part and apply it to your life .
Jessica Harvey 1
Currently Reading: Pretty Lies
Bookshelf Size: 252

Post by Jessica Harvey 1 »

While use of bible verses may limit some readers from reading self-help books, I truly believe, even for Non-Christians, that bible verses are relatable to everyone. They are tools to help us in our journey for self-help. They have lessons and wisdom and can be used as affirmations and confidence building.
5_tourmaline
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-5-tourmaline.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 5_tourmaline »

The information portrayed in the book covers a general audience. Though the references might put off some people an open minded person might appreciate it.
jemimapaul
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by jemimapaul »

As a Christian, I loved this book since it has powerful Bible verses that support the messages the author is try to convey. I don’t think it would put off non-Christians because anyone will be uplifted and encouraged by this fantastic book!
Jane Ogwang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jane-ogwang.html
Latest Review: Dr. Marsha and the Case of the Missing Marshmallows and Hotdogs by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jane Ogwang »

I get your point, but a Muslim shouldn't mind picking something from the Bible that improves their life, the same applies to Christians. The aim is to get better and the source of information shouldn't be a distraction.
Similoluwa Odumuyiwa
Favorite Book: Wild World
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-similoluwa-odumuyiwa.html
Latest Review: Midnight On Mars by Marie Montine

Post by Similoluwa Odumuyiwa »

I don't think the book is specific for any religion.
Uwe Neufeld
Favorite Author: Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Favorite Book: Treasure Island
Currently Reading: Reconfigurement
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uwe-neufeld.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
fav_author_id: 3039

Post by Uwe Neufeld »

I'm from Christian background and woldn't mind to read books where Koran texts are cited, I guess Hindus and Buddhists are the same.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”