What makes The Maestro Monologue by Rob White different from other self-help books?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2022 Book of the month, "The Maestro Monologue: Discover your Genius, Defeat your intruder, Design your destiny" by Rob White.
Ternia C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ternia-c.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Re: What makes The Maestro Monologue by Rob White different from other self-help books?

Post by Ternia C »

The author always emphasize on two sides of you, the intruder and the maestro.

We're the maestro but we grow and feed the intruder through miss-takes that wear down on our confidence over time.

I love how the author reminds us, we're not the intruder (failures, procrastinators and etc) we thought we are. The way he writes about the intruder as another character and giving it an identity, it helps us see the intruder as separate from ourselves.

It creates distance and perspective on how we actually are hurting ourselves. Like how we never notice how hurtful our inner thoughts are until we are ask to say the same things to another friend or family member.

I rarely see an author that express it the way Rob White does and that's what makes this book different from the rest.
Rob White
In It Together VIP
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Maestro Monologue

Post by Rob White »

Wow, I love that you felt I was talking to you when I wrote the book, Mariam. I was! Even though I don't know you personally, I do know you. It seems that being a human being has all of us fundamentally the same, with the same issues to get through. Those issues, like overcoming our fear of failure or wanting to look good for fear of rejection, or being haunted by doubts - well now, when we get the insanity of those issues, that's when we get that our biggest pursuit is not seeking to get something but seeking to get rid of that which stops us from getting what we're seeking :)

Yes, I was talking to you, Mariam and Vinny and Lucy... Rob
Carly Sprout
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-rose.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly Sprout »

In the past, self-help books focused more on behavioural changes aimed at fitting into civil society. Today, it is common for self-help books to emphasise the psychology of the human mind, as well as the concept of self-mastery. Therefore, I am not quite sure what makes it unique from other books of the same genre. Perhaps Rob White's use of many different examples and anecdotes? There seem to be more than in the average self-help book.
Ndicka99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndicka99.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson

Post by Ndicka99 »

This book shares similarities with most self-help books. However, one area where it does excel is in the exercises and personal tips given by the author at the end of some chapters to activate the maestro in all of us.
Ceeco2002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ceeco2002.html
Latest Review: Rebuilt Recovery - Complete Series by Heather L Phipps

Post by Ceeco2002 »

As someone that has read lots of self-help books, I have to say that this book is one of the few that has been truly effective and I think this is because of the thought provoking and challenging questions at the end of the book.
Arianne Joy Melendres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arianne-joy-melendres.html
Latest Review: The graveyard and other poems by Mae Bea Sayes

Post by Arianne Joy Melendres »

My favorite thing about The Maestro Monologue was that it asked the readers questions that mattered as opposed to simply giving out "answers" ! Sometimes, all you really need is to reflect and this book was a great starter.
Ola_Elise
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-elise.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ola_Elise »

The Maestro Monologue differs from other self-help books in that Rob White encourages you to have a conversation with yourself, as you are the most crucial factor in your life's success.
Books are a unique form of accessible magic. Reading is required for those who wish to rise above the mundane. If you dislike reading, it's most likely because you haven't found the right book.
Fanny Lebura Ueh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fanny-lebura-ueh.html
Latest Review: Jason's Magic Journeys by Sylvia Hebden

Post by Fanny Lebura Ueh »

The fact that this book is interactive and contains questions and spaces to fill in stood in for me. More importantly, I have applied these steps, and they worked.
Muna123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna123.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Muna123 »

I don't see much difference between this book and other self help books. But Rob's way of writing made this book unique.
Nwankwo GC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-gc.html
Latest Review: The Chosen by Brandy Marks

Post by Nwankwo GC »

The fact that most of the principles in the book are founded on the Bible differentiates it from other self-help books, in my opinion. As a Christian, I loved that about the book.
Kuchi Mercy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kuchi-mercy.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by Kuchi Mercy »

This book creates a high level of self awareness. It points out the most important factor which is "You", thereby engaging the reader all the way.
Rob White
In It Together VIP
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Maestro Monologue

Post by Rob White »

One reason I like this question about my book is because in order to distinguish what makes my book different, you have to consider what makes you different. That's what makes a difference!

When I was a kid, my dad brought home a canary. We named her "Sue." We couldn't wait for Sue to sing. She never made a peep, all winter long. Come spring, mom opened a window to give Sue some fresh air, and as soon as Sue heard the birds singing outside the window, she went into glorious song. I hope my book helped a few of you have that experience :) Rob
Avalanche32
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avalanche32.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Avalanche32 »

It's different because it's a self-help book that offers a help through one's soul and emotions.
Rob White
In It Together VIP

Post by Rob White »

Indeed, nwadinso, a prime principle I hoped got across, while writing my book, was that "it would feel like you're having a conversation with yourself." I truly appreciate that you pointed out that you got that.

All of us sense the power of self-honesty. How can we make it work for us? Simple! Have a genuine, honest conversation with yourself about yourself. And do it often.

:) Thank you Rob
Yamini mathur
Currently Reading: Hill of Souls
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yamini-mathur.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Yamini mathur »

Maestro monologue is a well-written self-help book. It allows you to stop your constant thoughts and contemplate where you stand and move on only when you have answered these questions, be it in a written format or saying it aloud to yourself. The chapters in Part 1 have options where you stop and note down your feelings, and your thoughts. The questions have been laid down very well by the author.

Return to “Discuss "The Maestro Monologue" by Rob White”