Too Predictable? Or perfect foreshadowing? (Contains spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the April 2022 Book of the month, "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson.
Abby Smith 5
Currently Reading: Run Rose Run
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abby-smith-5.html
Latest Review: Loving Preston by Maria Pryor Herndon

Re: Too Predictable? Or perfect foreshadowing? (Contains spoilers)

Post by Abby Smith 5 »

I did not think it was too obvious. As I was reading I could sense that the identity of his family would be someone that the author had in some way introduced us to. However, even though I had occasional guesses I had not been able to confidently and easily predict their identities. In my opinion it was a result of perfect foreshadowing.
Luv Emmanuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luv-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Ava Flips by Ava Nebel

Post by Luv Emmanuel »

I am yet to see a book that does not have an atom of predictably to it. This book was no different. However, the predictable parts were very few.

I loved the foreshadowing because they did not give any spoilers. They just helped me anticipate the end of everything. I think I will just go ahead and call it a perfect foreshadowing
Latest Review: Ava Flips by Ava Nebel
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

For me, yes. I think it was very predictable. Then again, I’ve read a lot of books so I tend to pick up on these things easily. It was still a good book regardless.
Judyread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judyread.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Judyread »

It had a touch of both. I easily predicted some scenes. I also didn't see some things happen they way they did. Kudos to the author
Kayla Archer
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayla-archer.html
Latest Review: One Jesus, One Way by The Proving Jesus Group

Post by Kayla Archer »

Sometimes I feel like the author could be more subtle. For instance, always bluntly sharing the thoughts of the characters so there’s no inferring from the audience. Maybe that’s what it is - just blunt.
Essy Nma
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essy-nma.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Essy Nma »

For me, it was not predictable because I was just flowing with the tempo of the book. But the details of the eyes left enough clue but I didn't really notice that till it came as a shock.
Le Tan Xuong
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-le-tan-xuong.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Le Tan Xuong »

Anne Lucas wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 00:11
Everydayadventure15 wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 12:30 As I read the book, I started to pick up on many of the clues that indicated that Captain Joshua was the father of Devonte. For me, the biggest tip-off was the color of their eyes and when the fish merchant wondered where he had seen the kindness of the gray eyes before. At first, I thought that the author had made this connection too obvious. Then I started to wonder if this was simply a well-developed lead-up to the big reveal. What do you think? Was the father-daughter relationship too predictable? Or was the reveal a result of perfect foreshadowing?
Nothing actually was too predictable for me in this book. But, I have to admit I kept brainstorming the clues throughout. And the only thing I will say about the father-daughter relationship is that I loved the way this turned out to be.
The comments were really interesting to me and gave me insight on how to spot these things in the book. I read a few things and didn't notice some of these things until now. Keep sharing!
Le Tan Xuong
Favorite Book: The Maestro Monologue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-le-tan-xuong.html

Post by Le Tan Xuong »

Patty Allread wrote: 17 Apr 2022, 14:10 I noticed the clues that could have meant Captain Joshua was Davonte's real father. The clues were not just in their physical descriptions, but also parts of the storyline. For example, Davonte's parents returned to the Maroon in Argentina to help them build and that is where Captain Joshua had gone in search of his wife and daughter. I found the clues were well-placed and not clumsily used. They didn't interrupt my enjoyment of the story.
Including some well thought out examples really helped proved your point! I'm more convinced with two reinforced examples. I thought it was interesting how your end conclusion was different from others.
NdegwaSalome
Currently Reading: Four Pebbles on a Bench
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndegwasalome.html
Latest Review: The Arrow That Flies By Day by John Servant

Post by NdegwaSalome »

Nothing was obvious in the book, and that's my the revelations came as a surprise.
Dustin Stopher
Currently Reading: Perk's of being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustin-stopher.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dustin Stopher »

To me, the twist wasn’t too obvious. I was actually caught off-guard as I hadn’t picked up on the foreshadowing. Looking back on it, the pieces were there to make the connection, but making that connection feels more like a reward for astute readers than a giveaway for most audiences. So I think the author did a good job there.
Favour Ojonugwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-ojonugwa.html

Post by Favour Ojonugwa »

For me the book was not too predictable, some of the themes surprised me. I didn't see the relation obvious, and I like how it went.
Shelby Ayres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-ayres.html
Latest Review: The Wrong Side of the Room by Norman Mathews

Post by Shelby Ayres »

While it was slightly predictable, it was also, in my opinion, perfectly foreshadowed. I really enjoy the predictable foreshadowing, but some of the twists were neither obvious nor predictable. I liked the balance it had between the predictable and non-predictable connections.
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »

I did not notice the hints at all. I think it was a perfect foreshadowing. The big reveal completely took me by surprise.
Ndagire Hassifah1
Favorite Book: Hemingway’s daughter
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndagire-hassifah1.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ndagire Hassifah1 »

For me, I don't think the book was too predictable. Even though there were hints, but still the reveal came to me as a suprise.
Perfect Ojonugwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-perfect-ojonugwa.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Perfect Ojonugwa »

I didn't see anything predictable; I merely enjoyed the novel and noticed a couple of unexpected incidents.

Return to “Discuss "Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess" by Dan E. Hendrickson”