Victoria being an environmentalist as well as a business person realistic?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2022 Book of the month Totem: (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon
Christabel18+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel18.html
Latest Review: The Bridge by Andrew Palmer

Re: Victoria being an environmentalist as well as a business person realistic?

Post by Christabel18+ »

In my opinion there is no way one could suggest that one is environmental friendly and engaging in mining activities. It just doesn't tally.
cutemami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutemami.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by cutemami »

I believe it is not possible to be an environmentalist and be involved in mining at the same time. Most people who are environmentalists at heart refuse to take part in anything that can harm the environment even remotely. Mining is a large scale activity that has detrimental effects of the environment so one cannot be a true environmentalist if they are not bothered by mining activities.
Inks and Quills
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inks-and-quills.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Inks and Quills »

This is a great question. As I have a background in environmental science, I’m of the opinion that industrial mining cannot be sustainable due to disruption of habitat, chemical pollution, and weakening of the ground floor. If Victoria’s operation is a small one that uses community involvement and minimally invasive practices it could be less disruptive. However for her to be interested in an industry that is traditionally, diametrically opposed to environmental sustainability seems odd.
Chinaka94
Currently Reading: Making Her His
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaka94.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chinaka94 »

I know that mining harms the environment. And when it's done to make profit, protecting the environment at the same time becomes tricky. There would have to be a tradeoff.
Mildred Echesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-echesa.html
Latest Review: Catch A Raven by Kirro Burrows

Post by Mildred Echesa »

Mining causes harm to the environment, and I guess she counters this act of destruction by being involved in eco zone activities. It's realistic because she counters her acts
Poetic Justice
Amelia-Lily
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelia-lily.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Amelia-Lily »

I don't see why it would not. I mean, both does not obstruct each other. I am also a believer of the fact that one can be whatever they want to be. Also being the one does not stop her from being the other.
Eli Palermo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-navarsee.html
Latest Review: Totem by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Eli Palermo »

I feel that her drive as an environmentalist is what makes her a decent character. If she did not have that desire to be as eco conscious as she appears, then the story would be completely different because she wouldn't care that Buckhorn was destroying ancestral spaces and the forest that holds them.
Menace Crypto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonny2208.html
Latest Review: Pandemic (The U.S. Pandemic in India) by Dieter Gartelmann

Post by Menace Crypto »

In as much as many might try to justify both, I don't think they can go hand in hand. A core environmentalist would never mine because there's no way you can mine especially to make profits and a successful business without hurting the environment even a little bit.
Sharon Christanto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-christanto.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD
Reading Device: B09N3YBXCN

Post by Sharon Christanto »

I agree with Victoria. She can be an environmentalist while at the same time doing her mining business. Applying eco-friendly mining is an option
Ayomikun Babalola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomikun-babalola.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ayomikun Babalola »

I find it very hard to believe because mining in reality does harm the environment. There's really no way to mine without disturbing an ecosystem. Worse yet since her goal would be to generate profit.
Ruth Frances A
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

Yes, and no. From general information, and given her character, and knowledge of the Environment, she can follow the rules and act accordingly. She knows the important role the Environment plays, especially on climate change, and will stick to the law. On the No, there will be temptation to think that she knows what she is doing. This is not palatable, the authorities may trust her, and people could be hesitant to believe anything negative. Therefore, more on the yes, but it could affect her actions. Ultimately, her judgment will determine her actions.
abbyvanana1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbyvanana1997.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by abbyvanana1997 »

It has been apparent what persona Victoria is, and linking the abovementioned activities are implausible. Mining imposes a lot of impact on the environment, and doing so for business ventures would not equate to being eco-friendly.
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

I wouldn't say she can't be both. But, it will be difficult and success wouldn't be hundred percent. This is because even though some mining activities can be environmentally friendly, some cannot be. So, her success is dependent on how careful she and her workers can be.
Unique Ego
Favorite Book: The Tales of Little Lady M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-ego.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Unique Ego »

Mahwish Asgher wrote: 18 Feb 2022, 19:17 Do you agree with Victoria being an environmentalist as well as successful buisness person that you can mine without disturbing the environment?
I like Victoria's character; she's ambitious and daring. As for her ideas about mining, I can't say I know enough about the practice of mining to say whether it can be done in an eco-friendly manner or not. But in my limited knowledge, environmentally friendly mining seems kind of improbable, especially since the process itself literally involves disturbing the earth.
Nwankwo GC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-gc.html
Latest Review: The Chosen by Brandy Marks

Post by Nwankwo GC »

The mining process is always a disturbing one to the environment where it's being done. I really don't believe there's any such thing as environmentally friendly mining practices. Victoria isn't being honest.

Return to “Discuss Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon”