Overall rating and opinion of Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon

Use this forum to discuss the February 2022 Book of the month Totem: (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the February 2022 Book of the month, Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? What did you think of the writing style? What genres woven into the text? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

I rate Totem 4 out of 4 stars because I genuinely enjoyed reading it as well as the previous two books in the series. The novel highlights northern mythology and traditions combining fantasy with mystery. It presents a captivating adventure into the wilderness and remarkable revelations about the past.

I liked the writing style of Charlie Sheldon and the narrative pace. I empathized with the characters and felt their tension in the suspenseful moments of their attempt to find answers in Bear Valley. There is nothing I disliked about this novel. I loved how 14- year-old Sarah Cooley was portrayed. The author illustrated her adolescent struggles in her family life and her determination to preserve long-forgotten truths and traditions.

I would recommend this book to people who want to discover a different culture, especially to fans of mystery and adventure.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I have started reading the book and by far, I am hooked. I read breezily through the first 50 pages, and the plot has thickened already. I love the mixture of mystery and adventure, and that the author has paid key attention to the portrayal of the characters. I think teen characters, which are commonplace, need a great treatment because they become a relatable thing for young readers, and so far, I find Sheldon has done a great job.
Julius Nwohiri
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-nwohiri.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by Julius Nwohiri »

I am some depth into book one and enjoying every bit of it. The grammar and editing is excellent so far. The theme; complete breathtaking creativity. Every scenario or character is tangibly existent in your imagination, if only you try. I cannot wait to see how the story plays out with that teenage enigma called Sarah. One issue though, is that the author is always in the habit of introducing too many characters at every given opportunity.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Sarah is a very engaging character, but she is the only thing that I really liked. The setting was good. I didn’t enjoy the interaction of the others and though the desire to save the land from mining was commendable I felt it was poorly executed.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I have just started the book today. I'm done by about its third and it thrilled me to the most. I liked the inclusion of maps at the beginning of the book for the reader to understand the whereabouts of the exciting events. I also got really saddened by the unexpected death of Tom-Tom although it happened early in the book. Sheldon succeeded in depicting him as a lovely character and I really sympathised with Sarah, his granddaughter. I haven't read the first 2 books in the series, but I'm planning to do so soon.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
STabassum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stabassum.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by STabassum »

I came across it today under the tab of book of the day and brisked through it’s pages. The book looked interesting through the pages and it’s review seemed really interesting. I liked the sense of impending darkness portrayed by its cover. The story sounded interesting too since I love reading mystery novels. The adventure and emotional content of the story looks appealing and I plan to read it completely soon.
AndreeaG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andreeag.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by AndreeaG »

I appreciate the way Sheldon portrayed the characters, especially Sarah. The mystery and the adventures keep you engaged in reading the book. I just couldn't stop reading it. The author did a great job with this book, so I rate it a 4 out of 4. This is the kind of book that I am looking for when reading. Highly recommend.
Vivian Stones
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Maestro Monologue
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-stones.html
Latest Review: The Silicon Divide by Danielle Nowell

Post by Vivian Stones »

I like the book, it has an amazing storyline that can keep one glued to it.The character development also is another interesting part of this books, good job from the author. I like Sara a character in the book that is interesting.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I just started this book today, and so far I like how briskly this novel runs. It hooks you and takes you along for the ride. I feel like the maps are a great touch and help orient you to where you need to be. I am having some difficulties keeping up with the large cast of characters, however. I'm still on the fence on whether I'm going to go back and read the first two books.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

The book fits well in historical fiction. The use of flashback by Myra to explain to Sarah how her people's culture made her realize her importance is amazing. In addition the use of mythology to recounter her people's background gives suspense to the reader to keep reading.
The fantasy of how the female whale killer and the bear fell in love to give birth to children who bear both traits of the parents is very creative.
The author also gives titles to the chapters focusing on what or whom we encounter. Use of songs to relay memories and experiences by children in the myth brings out the role of songs in different cultures.
I also like the use of dialogue to give the work the conversational tone that makes setting real.
However, as you begin to fit in each chapter's events the ending ends their and the next chapter takes you to a different scenario with some questions not answered in the previous chapter. This makes some characters not to develop fully. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
Connor Farrell
Currently Reading: The Art of Public Speaking
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-connor-farrell.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by Connor Farrell »

I am just starting to read it, but it is really good so far! I am enjoying the great detail and I like the plot. Hopefully, the rest of the book stays just as good! (So far 4/4!)
Alexandrian O
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandrian-o.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Alexandrian O »

I just started this book and I can't get enough, Sheldon did a good job with the way he depicted Sarah's character, I've been reading nonstop and I can't wait to read the first two books, truly a masterpiece so far
Aarushi Pareek
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: Hallowed Ground
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarushi-pareek.html
Latest Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Post by Aarushi Pareek »

As I read this book, I feel it is going to be very exciting. Charlie Sheldon has done a great job. I like Sarah's character a lot. I also appreciate the maps at the beginning that help you understand the locations where the exciting events are located.
Precious Amarachi Nzeakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-amarachi-nzeakor.html
Latest Review: Words of Wisdom: INSPIRING QUOTES for Everyone by Sharef Flounoy

Post by Precious Amarachi Nzeakor »

I like that this book incorporates a lot of history in it. That way, the book serves multiple purposes, including educating the reader and exposing him to the culture of different places. I love the author's genre; suspense and thriller are always welcomed, especially when done right. The author's descriptive skill is a plus also, as she brings each character to life and causes the reader to become part and parcel of the book. In all, I think it's an excellent read.

Return to “Discuss Totem (Strong Heart #3) by Charlie Sheldon”