To what extent do you find the book realistic?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Larissa Sawers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larissa-sawers.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Re: To what extent do you find the book realistic?

Post by Larissa Sawers »

It would be unlikely for this to happen. While there are certainly slave owners in history that fell 'in love’ with their slaves, the dynamic that existed between Lily and James seems unlikely to me. It also felt forced and out of character in the book.
AvishaJain_13
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishajain-13.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by AvishaJain_13 »

It is a little disturbing to believe that punishments could've been that harsh in the slave era and learning something new by simply listening to it is definitely near enough impossible which is why I'd say it isn't entirely realistic.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

I totally agree that it's unrealistic for Lily to know how to play piano without any kind of training. Besides, being a slave will make any attempt to approach the piano as a completely unsafe and unnecessary adventure.
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I agree with you to some extent. I don’t think the slaves back then had the audacity to play their master’s piano without permission. However, the author has tried to make it as realistic as possible by showing Lily’s story as a slave.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I was a child in the Apartheid era in South Africa. I found the book believable. Lily could easily have learnt to play the piano by watching if she had a photographic memory. Relationships like that between James and Lily happened often. It was just kept secret.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Unsullied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unsullied.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Unsullied »

I've heard crazier stories about not just the slavery period but also other devastating historical times that I cannot dismiss the book or parts of it. I think the author did a splendid job trying to make the story realistic.
Comfort279
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-comfort279.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Comfort279 »

I found the atory quite realistic, James feelings towards Lily was an example. Lily's ability to learn what she loves to do most on her own also added realism to the story.
Blessing O 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-o-2.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Blessing O 2 »

You sure do have a point. Lily's ability to play the piano without lessons is not unrealistic but due to the harsh treatment slaves suffer during that era, it was a bit unrealistic that Lily would dare to play the piano.
Ify-babe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-babe.html
Latest Review: The Spiritual Game of Golf . . . and of life by Gerald Collier Davis

Post by Ify-babe »

From the stories we have heard about the slave trade era, some of the scenes in the book seems to be unrealistic. But considering the relationship between James and Lily, we could say it afforded Lily certain privileges which she used maximally.
Tinski23
Currently Reading: TBD
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinski23.html
Latest Review: Marco Martinez by R M Allan

Post by Tinski23 »

Given the historically proven cruel nature of slavery, I also found Lily sneaking to use her master's piano somewhat unrealistic.
Nwadinso Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-michael.html
Latest Review: Mon Cheri by Spare Time Novels

Post by Nwadinso Michael »

I agree with you on this, the author did a good job of writing a realistic book but there were things that I think were not quite realistic judging from the perspective of occurrences that usually happen during the slave era.
Samuel Ade 1
Currently Reading: The Lightning Thief
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Samuel Ade 1 »

It may seem impossible, but playing an instrument from memory alone is possible. I know a person who was blessed with that gift.

On the subject of playing her master's piano with no punishment whatsoever, and other achievements made, it seemed a bit unrealistic. Maybe it is so because we just can't fathom that happening. But just like every other thing on earth, that too could have been possible
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

The book only touched on a few of the unpleasant realities that slaves experienced during the period. I had my doubts about James and Lily's attraction to one another, but since they were childhood best friends, I ignored them. On the other hand, Lily's ability to play the piano without any instruction seemed a little improbable to me.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

I agree with you, Lily wouldn’t have thought of going to play for fear that she will be killed. For the knowledge about piano, some people are naturally talented so I don’t see that as unrealistic.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

I believe the punishments and the treatment of slaves were believable; I have no issues with it. Like you said, her talent part and playing piano while her master was away was unbelievable. How come nobody heard it before? But for her to come out and play in public and begrudgingly accepted, she had to away a talent that was beyond the reach of human limits. The critics should be able to criticize only her color and not her talent. For this to happen, her talent had to be divine right?

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”