the effect of society on james and lily's relatioship

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Samuel Ade 1
Currently Reading: The Lightning Thief
Bookshelf Size: 13

Re: the effect of society on james and lily's relatioship

Post by Samuel Ade 1 »

The skcyety they lived in affected their relationship. It frowns on it. But I feel like both parties knew the consequences of their actions, yet they made the conscious decision to indulge themselves.
Siphesihle Prince
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siphesihle-prince.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Siphesihle Prince »

It's a difficult debate to argue that they weren't affected. Obviously, it was a completely different era back in those days. It's not a stretch to say that interracial relationships were the ultimate taboo in the timeline of the story, which is why, around strangers, James reluctantly had to treat Lily in a different manner all together.

He would have been ostracized by the rest of society if he didn't.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

Yes the slave code and society affected their relationship. The society couldn’t see the sense in it and James had to hold back his feelings as a result.
sayoniwrites
Currently Reading: The Scarlet Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sayoniwrites.html
Latest Review: Red Endures the Test of Time by Thomas Fullmer

Post by sayoniwrites »

Society had a constant role in James and Lily's relationship. It was almost like a third wheel in their relationship. If not for the society and slave code James and Lily wouldn't have met or connected. They tried to cross these rules and restrictions for sure because they were star-crossed lovers and they couldn't help it; they were bound no matter what. But I am not sure that they went against everyone for love; if anything they fought hard against their own feelings.
Aarushi Pareek
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: Hallowed Ground
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarushi-pareek.html
Latest Review: Hallowed Ground by Cindy Ziperman

Post by Aarushi Pareek »

The slave code made James and Lily's relationship a bit challenging. James' upbringing made it difficult for him to express his feelings freely. Their relationship was affected by society.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Well, aren’t we all affected by the societal rules that surround us? Why would it be any different with Lily and James? I loved the descriptions of their friendship as children, because it was not yet ruined by the surrounding society. I feel that even as an adult, James could see there was something wrong with the surrounding world and the slave code, but at the same time he was a victim of his upbringing and couldn’t completely step out of the masters role. And Lily was strong but she was just as much as James a victim of her upbringing. So yes, I would say the slave code had some effects on their relationship.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
BrainyNg
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brainyng.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by BrainyNg »

Yes, I believe society affected their relationship. The slave code hindered their relationship. The duo can't freely express their feeling. So I would say it affected them.
Ratii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ratii.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Ratii »

James and Lily's relationship was definitely affected by the slave code and the society. It was not easy for them to make their relationship open, when they where even forbidden to be friends. Since James' upbringing was different and their status was very different.
Nan_Syl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nan-syl.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Nan_Syl »

Of course, the slave code affected their relationship, coupled with the fact that society didn't make it any easier for them. I mean, given that situation, it would be difficult for any two love birds to be free - as was the case of Lily and James.
Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uchechukwu-fortune-njoku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Uchechukwu Fortune Njoku »

Yes of course, it affected their relationship. If not, James would have been more open to Lily about his feelings for her.
Walter R
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-walter-r.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Walter R »

As human beings the culture we grow up in and the opinions of others have a great bearing on the way we act and I think James and Lily's relationship was affected by the slave code and society around them. It prevented them from fully expressing themselves.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

The slave code and society certainly affected their relationship. Besides the fact that James could not be as open as possible about his feelings for Lily, their vastly different upbringing often acted as a barrier to their fully understanding each other.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

I think the slave code and society had a huge impact on their relationship. James had to treat Lilly like a slave and be mean and harsh to her, though he didn't really want to in his heart. Lilly also could not be as free to express her feelings because of her constant fear as James was deemed her master and their relationship would be considered taboo.
Alexandrian O
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandrian-o.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Alexandrian O »

James and Lily's relationship was affected by their societal circumstances. The way James was brought up and taught to treat slaves affected their relationship while he was in love with Lilly, his upbringing did put some strain on their relationship.
Alexandrian O
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandrian-o.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by Alexandrian O »

James and Lily's relationship was affected by their societal circumstances. The way James had to pretend and hide his relationship during interaction with Lily in public is messed up. It affected his version of love for Lily. Because of societal norms, Lily and James were unable to embrace their unconventional relationship in public.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”