What was your opinion on the relationship between Lily and James? Is it romantic? Or is it inappropriate and forced?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2022 Book of the month, "The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden" by Londyn Skye.
Badmusjamiu44
Favorite Book: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Currently Reading: Preppers Medical Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 14

Re: What was your opinion on the relationship between Lily and James? Is it romantic? Or is it inappropriate and forced?

Post by Badmusjamiu44 »

I wouldn't assume it was forced because they had fallen in love with each other since they were young , but James sincerity to truly love lily is what i felt uncertain.
OTrain Disene
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flight Quack
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otrain-disene.html
Latest Review: Mysteries by Graham Wilson

Post by OTrain Disene »

The relationship between Lily and James was the foundation this novel was built on, and I liked how the author executed it was realism and gentleness. As with the relationship of James and Lily, as much as I believe that love conquers all and it doesn't know any boundaries, theirs gave me cringes because the power dynamics were crooked from the get go.
Josie Wert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josie-wert.html
Latest Review: The Last Lumenian by S.G. Blaise

Post by Josie Wert »

AfraBrb wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 15:37 Well it seems that everyone is convinced that James can betray lily but what don't we see all sides of the story. James could be sincere but society is the one that forces him to betray her. We have to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best
I agree, it’s not fair to assume James’s motives until we see his point of view. Yes, we can’t forget about how last time he betrayed her when they were young teenagers, but we also can’t forget that he had a REALLY good reason for it. With the way Jesse wormed his way into the ending of the story, we don’t know what kind of pressure or even blackmail that James was under when he betrayed Lily for the second time.
Alexis Warthen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexis-warthen.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen

Post by Alexis Warthen »

Something about the relationship feels empty. Since they cared for each other since childhood, it doesn't seem forced, but I agree with others that the romantic aspect was not fully recognized.
Sophia Kieferle
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-kieferle.html
Latest Review: Working At The Warehouse by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Sophia Kieferle »

Personally, although I do believe in the realism the way they are attracted to each other naturally and innocently as children, I do find my white self cringing and feeling uncomfortable with the thought of that much of a power difference. I do, however, allow the suspension of belief for this book, and I think if we accept this as strictly fantasy (and a steamy one)and not a historical fiction (implying that this might have been a common relationship) then the book can be a little more enjoyable.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

James' feelings for Lily might be sincere but how strong is his love that he can go against his father and society? I have only read the first book so I don't know what will happen next.
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

Josie Wert wrote: 12 Jan 2022, 11:40
AfraBrb wrote: 01 Jan 2022, 15:37 Well it seems that everyone is convinced that James can betray lily but what don't we see all sides of the story. James could be sincere but society is the one that forces him to betray her. We have to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best
I agree, it’s not fair to assume James’s motives until we see his point of view. Yes, we can’t forget about how last time he betrayed her when they were young teenagers, but we also can’t forget that he had a REALLY good reason for it. With the way Jesse wormed his way into the ending of the story, we don’t know what kind of pressure or even blackmail that James was under when he betrayed Lily for the second time.
Exactly. It appears that we have the same point of view ☺️
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
amakaokoye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amakaokoye.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by amakaokoye »

James and Lily's relationship was forced. I think this was because the obvious imbalance of power.
lightsammy
Currently Reading: And Throw Away The Skins
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lightsammy.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by lightsammy »

I have my doubts about Jame's sincerity towards Lilly although they've shared a long-lasting relationship. Things might not end well here really, but I do not think the relationship was forced though.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I don't think the relationship between James and Lily was forced. They became friends when they were little and were ignorant of what is happening around them.
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

I don't think their love was forced, but something doesn't seem right. But I feel James might betray lily if things get rough
Esther Nekesa
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-nekesa.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Esther Nekesa »

I think their relationship was genuine. But James intentions have severally been questionable. The relationship is strained due to societal norms and not ingenuity of their feelings. We are left wondering whether their love is enough to conquer it all.
Janelydia Mwangi
Currently Reading: Bugs, Weeds, and Water
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelydia-mwangi.html
Latest Review: Surviving Life As An Actor by Jerry a. Greenberg
Reading Device: Android

Post by Janelydia Mwangi »

James and lily's relationship at childhood is more of fantasy because they live in the world of make believe and their judgement of their surrounding cannot be given a mature verdict. A reason they grow and have divergent views as they face the real world and the reality...
Tung Le 1
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tung-le-1.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Tung Le 1 »

I think the relationship between James and Lily is romantic and wonderful. However, the author's description is not clear. Sometimes I felt James's attitude was difficult to understand.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I don't like their relationship because I think that it is romanticized and forced, it gets overwhelming at some points in the story for me. The two isn't a good match for me.

Return to “Discuss "The Prodigy Slave" by Londyn Skye”