The Book Cover Design

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Miracle Chidera 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-chidera-1.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Re: The Book Cover Design

Post by Miracle Chidera 1 »

Brett Linette wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 06:20
Katarina Radovcic wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 05:25 What grabbed my attention the most is that, obviously we have a silhouette of our protagonist with his emotions that we read about in the book, as well as the headache, but the title of the book is really interesting. The design of the title is supposed to represent the building. We have its name - "The Freedom Building", but just like in the book where we don't have a clear image of building, we don't see any shape of the title other than it's very dominant and it stands out.There is no shape, no nothing to indicate what the building looks like. There is no picture of the building to reffer to. Just like John, we see and know of the building, it obviously exists, but all we really have is a name.
The dominant and unrevealing title stands for the mystery of the building, the unclear vision of it. The more I look at the cover, the more this idea fascinates me.
I noticed that the angle of the font resembled that of a building when you look up at it from the ground, but it never occurred to me that the name of the building is in place of its face because he can't put a face to it? I will never look at the cover the same way again; it's always going to give me chills from here on out.

Thank you for the revelation.
I remember looking at the title and how it gives the appearance of a high rise building but I never thought about it this way. It's genius to relate the way we see the title to how John feels about it. Wow😱
Sara Garside
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sara Garside »

I love the color scheme, the red stands out and grabs my attention. I am not a fan of the positioning of the title it takes away from the silhouette but overall I think it is a good cover.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Killers’ Therapist by Jonathan David

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

The silhouette seems to give some room to speculate on the identity of the real designer.

I like how it plays with the layout of the title, so it will look like a tower. The colors are sharp but with enough contrast so the title stands out against the background.
Hana_Fabro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hana-fabro.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Hana_Fabro »

The title is amazingly crafted. The letters formed a building-like just like its title, it's like a slightly tilted building. The author is so great for mixing everything good in this book.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

A book's cover is what captures the eye of the reader. And same goes here. I like the red background and the black silhouette of a man and a building. It shows there's something mysterious and powerful about the two. I really like it.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

Sometimes, less is more, and in this instance, it most definitely is. I like that it leaves something for the imagination to play around with.
Zahieda Claasen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zahieda Claasen »

I like how the book cover design includes a silhouette of the protagonist rather than a fleshed-out image of him; it gives enough of a picture of the face while leaving room for imagination. :D
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

For this novel' book cover, I believe the use of colours says a whole lot. So I'd simply say that it's well-constructed, with several layers of significance.
Joyful17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k17.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Talking (war) Dog by Daniel Tierney

Post by Joyful17 »

I believe that book covers should share vital information about a book's content. Therefore, this book's cover was not satisfactory since I couldn't decipher much from the silhouette on the cover.
beauri21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beauri21.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by beauri21 »

The cover certainly did justice to the theme of the book. Covers should at least give a glimpse of what is ahead, and this was very well done. The silhouette design employed screams perfect as you begin to grasp the story in the book.
Tim Toby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tim-toby.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Tim Toby »

I also think the book cover was quite interesting. Although the meaning can be ambiguous. I think it just puts the readers in a position to think "what next?" And that is the beauty of it.
ej_author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ej-author.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by ej_author »

I think it's a great book cover; it sets the tone for the book before you even open to the first page!
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader." --Robert Frost
Akshara Singh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshara-singh.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Akshara Singh »

The colors on the cover caught my eye and screamed that the book have something intense to tell.
oukelonu64
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukelonu64.html
Latest Review: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook by Fred Sievert

Post by oukelonu64 »

Will agree to the book cover design. the silhouette conveys the message.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I like that the title is shaped like a skyscraper. And that there's no actual picture of the building on it which adds to the mystery element of what it actually looks like.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”