Does the format "[date]" or "[year]" only a part of the book as seen by the readers, or is it an important part of the s

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Does the format "[date]" or "[year]" only a part of the book as seen by the readers, or is it an important part of the s

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

I noticed while reading that certain dates and years are marked as [date] and [year], respectively, instead of just putting the dates or years such as March 3, 2020, or 2021. My question is, do you think this is something that John sees whenever he looks at dates (the same way that he cannot see or comprehend the building he designed), or is it something that the author intended only for the readers, not John and the other characters of the book?
Naila Saleem 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naila-saleem-2.html
Latest Review: Strange Stories II by Roger Mannon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Naila Saleem 2 »

I think the author left it like this deliberately. John obviously could read it. This is how he figured out that 3.5 years have gone by since the car crash.
Rodel Barnachea
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Naila Saleem 2 wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 16:53 I think the author left it like this deliberately. John obviously could read it. This is how he figured out that 3.5 years have gone by since the car crash.
Oh yeah, I haven't thought of that while I was reading the early chapters. I believe now that the "[date]" and "[year]" is only meant for the readers. But do you have any idea why the author does not want to give specific dates or years of the story?
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that it is for the reader. If the date is not specific then the story could be set anytime, not just when Mr. Kendall says it is.
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

aaurba wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 21:31
Naila Saleem 2 wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 16:53 I think the author left it like this deliberately. John obviously could read it. This is how he figured out that 3.5 years have gone by since the car crash.
Oh yeah, I haven't thought of that while I was reading the early chapters. I believe now that the "[date]" and "[year]" is only meant for the readers. But do you have any idea why the author does not want to give specific dates or years of the story?
I think showing the year would deprive the book of immediacy; by blocking the year out, we readers are just led to believe it was 3 years ago from the year we're in, as opposed to 3 years ago from last year or the year before that.
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

Since John knew that he woke up three (three and a half?) years after the crash, I would say the blanked out dates were for the reader. I personally disliked them, I felt that it distracted from the story for me and made it less immersive.
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

Honestly, I think the author just created that for the reader and not John because, John could easily calculate or see when he woke up in hospital that it was three years in the future. So, he wouldn't have been able to calculate that if he wasn't able to read the dates.
Gloria Jane
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gloria-edmund.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Gloria Jane »

I agree that the dates are most likely meant for the readers, perhaps as a way to add to the mystery. It could also be a way to make it feel like the story is happening in the present, instead of at a certain date in the past.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

John was able to read the dates when he woke up and knew the time had passed. I definitely think it was done intentionally for the reader. Presenting it this way was a little distracting but I think it also added to the readers curiosity
Ethan Howe
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-howe.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ethan Howe »

I did not like it that the author wrote the time like that because it is confusing and I think it was intended for both John and the reader to comprehend time that had elapsed.
Timothy Rucinski
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I believe that it's simply a device specifically designed for anyone reading the book. In that way, it takes the story out of a specific time and allows it to become more "timeless" so that anyone reading the book today or five years from now will feel that it takes place during the time period in which the book is read. I don't personally like the use of such as device, but it's the author's choice.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

I presume, it's for the readers. The author must have did it to let the readers imagine the whole setting.
Ahñ Mèiã
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ah-m-i.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Ahñ Mèiã »

Amy Luman wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 22:05 I think that it is for the reader. If the date is not specific then the story could be set anytime, not just when Mr. Kendall says it is.
I agree. So the reader can have the right to choose any date and year he wants and that way the book remains alive. You don't feel like it's an old story that happened decades ago
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

I think the author blanked out the dates so the readers could probably imagine the story in any time and year they felt like. They weren’t restricted to any particular time setting. Since, John knew how many years had passed when he woke up in the hospital. This means he could read and understand time. It was solely for the readers, in my opinion.
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

I think that is only meant for the readers. I guess the author want to let the reader assume the year so that it seems like the story happens in the present, not in the past.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”