Do you agree with Mr. Wilkinson that his refusal to fire his son is righteous?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Do you agree with Mr. Wilkinson that his refusal to fire his son is righteous?

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Whom do you side with between the Imam and Mr. Wilkinson?

Do you side with the Imam and believe that Zenith should remove Wilkinson, Jr. from employment and stop their business dealings with the Israelis?

Or do you side with Mr. Wilkinson and believe that the destruction of their building is a punishment against Wilkinson Jr.'s remarks and that the notion of stopping their business dealings with the Israelis is unreasonable?
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I am siding with Mr. Wilkinson. But I believe he should remove and fire his son after his mistake. But I think Mr. Wilkinson has some sort of thought about that so he decided not to fire his son.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think that I can take sides. I do agree that firing Junior and stopping business with the Israelis will not stop the terrorism, but anything to do with children is difficult for a variety of reasons. I guess I can take sides and I did. There is really nothing positive to say on behalf of the Imam. Everyone makes mistakes.
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

Conducting business with family is difficult, especially when that family makes a mistake. I do think that Mr. Wilkinson should have fired Junior as a show of good faith and a way to make reparations.
Iva Stoyanova
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iva-stoyanova.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by Iva Stoyanova »

Business and family are a bit difficult to handle together and should be separate things. Of course, everyone makes mistakes but still, Mr. Wilkinson should've fired Junior.
"You can be more aware and more present simply by resting in the present moment, open to all that is, without trying to control it or grasp it with the mind. Truly, a marvelous way of being!"

Richard L. Haight
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

I have to admit, I agree with Mr. Wilkinson on this one. He definitely wasn't obligated to fire his son. His son made a mistake at a younger age, owned up to it and apologized. I don't see any reason to fire him.
George Anorue
Currently Reading: The Sylvan Horn
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by George Anorue »

It's difficult to handle business and family at the same time, and they should be addressed separately. Mr. Wilkinson is fair, and I agree with him. After all, family is what it is.
Harsh Soni 3
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harsh-soni-3.html
Latest Review: Money Habits Grandma Taught Me by Luke Pentagon

Post by Harsh Soni 3 »

I am on the side of Mr. Wilkinson because everyone makes a mistake, but stopping business with the Israelis or fire the junior will not solve anything.
Inge van Tonder
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inge-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Inge van Tonder »

I feel that firing his son would be too hard a punishment and therefor side with Mr. Wilkinson. His son did make a public apology for what he said. It would not solve the problem by firing his son, and would look very bad to give into random demands.
Jolaade Idowu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah363.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Jolaade Idowu »

I am siding with Mr Wilkinson. His son made a mistake, owned up to it and apologised. He commented out of ignorance. I am sure he wouldn't have made that comment if he knew the problems it would have caused.
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

I think that someone should be fired even if they were the son of the person, they shouldnt be given special treatment. But with that being said i do think he was a little extreme for firing him.
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Captive
Bookshelf Size: 608
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 28%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

Junior, obviously, is an idiot. His remarks, even though not as incendiary as they could be, were enough to set off a political firestorm. Wilkinson Senior has every right to keep him on the payroll, even though the image may not have been the best for the company or the country since it bankrolled Zenith. However, there were other options Senior could have taken other than removing his son. He could have demoted him but kept him on the payroll. He could have set up a structure in which Junior would not have any opportunity to succeed his father as CEO. He could have set up his son in a different company, which would guarantee an income but not on Zenith's payroll. Nevertheless, the author chose to keep things as they were to better drive the narrative and keep the political unrest bubbling from start to finish.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

Mr. Wilkinson's reason to fire his son will not eventually lead to the cease of terrorism. He may have a reason to do so, but firing Junior? I don't think so.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

I think the decision not to fire his son is less righteous and more emotion-based. Yes, his son screwed up and should be fired. But what father wants to be put in that position where he has to fire his son? However, at some point in time, you have to let them swim on their own. Eventually, Mr. Wilkinson will realize that his son must learn to survive without his protection.
Alexandur Gicov
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandur-gicov.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Alexandur Gicov »

Business is not easy, and people do make mistakes, but family is family. I can't take sides and say which side is right, but sometimes punishment is the right way. Within normal limits, of course.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”