Pete or John? Which one was the designer?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Mody C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Re: Pete or John? Which one was the designer?

Post by Mody C »

Kibabcock wrote: 04 Nov 2021, 20:29 I think John is the true designer. Near the end of the book when John is talking to his soon to be ex-wife she comments that the new Zenith building reminds her of the drawings John did in college. She even has him pull out his old drawings to prove her point.
True. Though I sometimes have doubt in John, but the ending of the story makes me sure that he is the designer.
William Kariuki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-william-kariuki.html
Latest Review: Jesus, Prosperity Gospel and Poverty in Africa by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by William Kariuki »

John is a master mind as portrayed by the book. He had drawings aal along from college days and Pete had only imitated the drawings. I feel that from the book even if Pete was involved it was in a very minute way. Yes!! John is the designer.
Tori_J
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tori-j.html
Latest Review: Aprende ABC con los animales de Puerto Rico by Yeseira Caro

Post by Tori_J »

I have to also agree with the multitude on this one, it was definitely John's work in my opinion. The story gives indications to support that. I'd place my wager on it having been John over Pete. However, I won't be too shocked if there is another plot twist.
Arunima Halder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arunima-halder.html
Latest Review: Fast Starting a Career of Consequence: Workbook by Fred Sievert

Post by Arunima Halder »

Although the readers go through a lot of confusion, it is John who is the designer. There are several incidents to prove that, the most important being that of his old drawings. Pete too had a contribution in it, but John is the real designer here.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

John is the true architect of the Zenith skyscraper, having developed it during his undergraduate years. Pete put up the effort, but credit must go to John because the design was originally his. Because of his mental troubles, John was unable to complete the project.
Chiwelite O
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-o.html
Latest Review: The Water Bear by Groucho Jones

Post by Chiwelite O »

I have reasons to believe John was the true designer, the author states he was. If it were Peter, we would have full knowledge of it. I know the circumstances of the accident may cause some doubts but I strongly believe he is the designer. Recall the conversation with his ex wife too.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

At first, I thought John, but after thinking about the ending, I wonder if John was simply emotionally disturbed, and Pete was the true designer.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Stephen Ikimi wrote: 03 Nov 2021, 23:32 John is the true designer of the building as the end of the book portrays.
If it were Peter's,the book could have ended by proving that he was responsible. But yes! John is the designer.
I totally agree with you! If Pete really did design the entire plan in the first place, he would have said it to the public way before the Zenith construction began. And his reason that John is his superior and he just didn't say anything in the first place about the real designer of the building is kind of weak because John is his friend, and that act is against the law.
Naila Saleem 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naila-saleem-2.html
Latest Review: Strange Stories II by Roger Mannon

Post by Naila Saleem 2 »

John was the designer. He designed a masterpiece like in a trance. And when he was done, he snapped out of it not remembering how he did it. But he DID it, nevertheless. Pete was an opportunist and Wilkinson was a businessman, and they both distorted the very purpose Freedom Building was designed for.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

It is clearly told that it is John who designed the building, but then the author saws some doubt about this theory when you consider the circumstances of Pete's accident and what the author was trying to insinuate by including this piece.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

Since the book portrayed John as the designer, then I'll stick to that. Asides from this, he was vast with the intricacies governing that the whole stuff. So yeah, John, it is.
Katarina Radovcic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katarina-radovcic.html
Latest Review: Scorn of Secrets by B. Truly

Post by Katarina Radovcic »

Although at times I questioned it, I do believe it was John's work. Architecture is not just a job and the technicalities, it is also art. John wasn't just attracted or attached to the building because it was a blur in his memory that he needed to figure out, but also because he was drawn to it as an artist and a visionary. It was this familiarity and the meaning behind it (the building) that John had in his mind that I didn't at all see in Pete. Pete was too easy to adjust to every outcome and would change the story and the meaning, which I don't believe a true artist would (or should) do with his work.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by asteel18 »

Bertha Jackson wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 18:45 Who do you think the true designer of the new Zenith Building was? Pete or John? Although Pete was very familiar with the design because of his work with the construction, I think John was the true designer because of the way the book ended. I am not going to give away any spoilers but the end of the book provides information that John could have only known if he had designed the building.
I didn't even think about that. John knew things that he wouldn't have known if he hadn't designed it. I went back and forth trying to think who could be the real designer, but you're right about what happened at the end. John knew where to put "things."
-Amy
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

I believe you're right - John was the designer based off of the ending. Until the ending though, I was leaning towards Pete as the designer, which I thought would help explain the voids and pain centered around the building and its plans for John.
Raquel Sojo
Currently Reading: Egomaniac
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raquel-sojo.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Raquel Sojo »

I certainly believe John. It seems to me that the author is leaving us little clues about John that clearly can justify that this design has been created by him.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”