Should John have been honest about his amnesia?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
George Anorue
Currently Reading: The Sylvan Horn
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Should John have been honest about his amnesia?

Post by George Anorue »

Of course, he should have been honest. It would have spared him a lot of trouble. Amnesia is a serious mental illness that should not be hidden. Perhaps it's because he had solid reasons to keep things hidden. On the other, the book would be drastically different if he had been honest. In that way, I'm glad he wasn't honest! Because it's a thrilling and delightful read!
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

I understand his hesitation in discussing his amnesia condition but we must realise that the omission of his condition was a key part of the story development. In real life, however, I feel like a person would conceal such a serious condition if they felt unsafe around the people who are with them. Then again, I imagine that if you were to wake up with amnesia, you would have an automatic sense of distrust because you cannot remember anything.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

Generally, with minor exceptions, this is a matter that should never be kept secret. It's easy for us to get here and comment after we know all the events that happened, but still...

What is known for sure is that if he were sincere, the book would completely change and become much less attractive.
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

Ivvie Ivanova wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 10:48 I think communication would have prevented many hardships and a lot of inner turmoil. I've noticed patients with amnesia usually keep to themselves in novels and movies. I don't know about real life. John should have been more open but I also understand how hard it can be to open up. It made his character more real, in my eyes.
Well, as much as I agree with you on the issue that he should have been more open, I think the author purposely made his character to hide his amnesia. Why? Because I believe it also contributes to the story development. If John had been more open on his amnesia, then I don't think the story would have turned out the way it did.
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cwilde13 »

In a real life scenario, you should be honest with your doctors and family if you are suffering from something as serious as amnesia. This would not only affect you, but the people around you as well. However, for the sake of the story, John had to keep his amnesia a secret or the plot would not have unfolded the way that it did.
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

In my opinion, I think John should have opened up about his amnesia initially. It would have helped him avoid some of struggles. However, his decision to keep hidden is also valid. As certain people might take available of his memory loss. The plot twist made the book exciting to read else it would have been a boring read.
Inge van Tonder
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inge-van-tonder.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Inge van Tonder »

I feel he definitely should have been honest! I can see that being scared might have been what caused him to lie in the first place, but he would have avoided it all if he just faced it and told the truth. But seeing as this caused the story to be more interesting, and having me think "You idiot!" the whole time, kept me on the edge of my seat to finish the book to know how it ended. :lol2:
victoriasimons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriasimons.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by victoriasimons »

From a practical point of view, I think he certainly should have been honest. However, from a character perspective, it is interesting that he isn't. It allows plot development, albeit a lot of frustration for the reader!
Jolaade Idowu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborah363.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Jolaade Idowu »

Of course, he should have been honest. His truthfulness would have saved him all the troubles he went through in the novel
usef nahg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usef-nahg.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by usef nahg »

i think by lying you create more problems for yourself, and thats what John does. He puts himself in situations he couldve easily avoided if he was honest. this is why honesty is important.
Bridgette C 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bridgette-c-2.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Bridgette C 2 »

Of course, he should have. How will he know himself? He needs people who can help him remember himself. If he won't, it's gonna be a dreadful feeling. It's gonna be frustrating.
Jimmy Irvin
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-irvin.html
Latest Review: Nemesis Horizon Project by Eric Stephen Booth-Driver-Robinson

Post by Jimmy Irvin »

I have to agree with everyone that he should have been honest about his amnesia. However, if he had told the truth, it would have taken that element out of the book. That element not being there would have drastically changed the storyline.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

In a normal world, he should have shared that he could not remember anything. However, secrecy was needed in this book to push the plot forward. I also think he would have suffered less had he been more honest.
Niklaus Mikaelson 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Niklaus Mikaelson 1 »

It would have been better if John was honest about his health condition. Honesty helps to create empathy link between two partners.
Bello Qudus Ola
Currently Reading: Pick the Plot
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Bello Qudus Ola »

i think john should have opened up about his mental illness, but on the other hand the novel would not be retriggering as it was

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”