Did you guess right regarding the cause of the Zenith Star explosion?

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Did you guess right regarding the cause of the Zenith Star explosion?

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

We first read in the first chapter the news that a huge explosion has caused the Zenith Star building to collapse. The article Gowan is reading stated that the police are yet to investigate, but they are not ruling out the possibility of the event being terrorist-related. Later on, we learned that the explosion is indeed done by terrorists. My question is, were you right about your guess of the root of the Zenith Star collapse?

For me, I honestly didn't even guess because I do not think we have enough information to generate ideas of what could have caused the tragedy.

How about you?
Salah bourouba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salah-bourouba.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Salah bourouba »

you have to think about it in details to figure out the chain of events that lead to it, for someone who read or seen many books or movies of this genre might be able to figure it out.
Recite in the name of your Lord who created [*] Created man from a clinging substance [*] Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous [*] Who taught by the pen [*] Taught man that which he knew not.
The Quran. Surah Al Alaq
Ivvie Ivanova
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading: Beyond Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivvie-ivanova.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (Spanish Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ivvie Ivanova »

I honestly didn't really think about what could have caused it. I was just reading since I knew I'd find out. Logically, it could have either been done by someone with malicious intent or because of a technical issue. The technical issues wouldn't serve the story as well so the former option is the only fitting one. It wasn't a surprise when I found out the cause.
Daniel-Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-davis.html
Latest Review: Grant's Wish by T.S. Pollard

Post by Daniel-Davis »

I haven't finished reading yet. So far, it matches world events and unravels an allegory for the United States and the World. It will not be a surprise if the events are really a terrorist attack or something matching a conspiracy theory of the NY Twin Towers being destroyed.
vitalisvicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitalisvicky.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by vitalisvicky »

This is one of the occurrences in the story that kept me at the edge of my seat. I really wanted to know the cause of the explosion that brought Zenith Star building down. Genuinely, I had no idea of the cause of the destruction, and I even didn't relate it to terrorist activities.
Katherine Powell-Polkey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-powell-polkey.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter
Reading Device: 1400501466

Post by Katherine Powell-Polkey »

I didn't even guess. I figured it would come out during the story.
Wesley Friday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesley-friday.html
Latest Review: Bar Maid by Daniel Roberts

Post by Wesley Friday »

Guessing what caused the explosion might not have been on top of a reader's priority list at the beginning of the novel. However, considering the themes discussed in the novel, like freedom of speech and other political aspects, it only makes sense for the reader to eventually discover that the cause of the incident was a terrorist attack.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

Honestly, I don't guess or use my brain to solve tragedies or even find out the culprit. So, I neither guessed it right nor I tried to use my brain; I waited and read the whole book to find out.😁😁
Oye Timothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oye-timothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Oye Timothy »

Definitely I knew terrorists were behind the blast. Who would have thought blew up a building as huge as the Zenith star building if not terrorists?
Blucabana
Currently Reading: The girl that loved carravalagio
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blucabana.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Blucabana »

At the beginning of the story, my mind was all over the place on what/whom could have caused the destruction of the Zenith building. I thought it could have been a political conspiracy, a billionaire with malicious intent, the CIA, North Korea or Islamic jihadists. I was glad to find out the answer as I read the book.
ellaiela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellaiela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by ellaiela »

Indeed, there are many possibilities of why buildings can collapse anytime, so I honestly did not associate my first suspicion with a terrorist attack since the author did not provide much information about it. I thought it might have something to do with how the Zenith building has undergone the planning, designing, and construction process phase since, well, the main character is an architect.
"It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting."
-The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Orji Gift 1
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orji-gift-1.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Orji Gift 1 »

I would say it was a terrorist attack considering how everything happened
Rodel Barnachea

Ivvie Ivanova wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 10:52 I honestly didn't really think about what could have caused it. I was just reading since I knew I'd find out. Logically, it could have either been done by someone with malicious intent or because of a technical issue. The technical issues wouldn't serve the story as well so the former option is the only fitting one. It wasn't a surprise when I found out the cause.
Same, I also didn't think much about the explosion and its possible cause because I believe I do not have enough information during the early chapters. I am also not surprised when I learned that terrorists have done it because it's very plausible given U.S.A.'s history of meddling with other country's politics.
Rodel Barnachea

Daniel Lindell wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 22:59 I haven't finished reading yet. So far, it matches world events and unravels an allegory for the United States and the World. It will not be a surprise if the events are really a terrorist attack or something matching a conspiracy theory of the NY Twin Towers being destroyed.
Oh yeah, I think the fact that the story is based on the September 11 attacks set up how the psychological thriller will deal with themes of terrorism. Because of this, it really wouldn't be surprising to read that the Zenith Star explosion is caused by terrorists.
Rodel Barnachea

vitalisvicky wrote: 02 Nov 2021, 07:53 This is one of the occurrences in the story that kept me at the edge of my seat. I really wanted to know the cause of the explosion that brought Zenith Star building down. Genuinely, I had no idea of the cause of the destruction, and I even didn't relate it to terrorist activities.
Well, the revelation of who caused the Zenith Star explosion was immediately revealed in the next chapter, so we really didn't have to wait for long. But, I think it's interesting that you did not think of terrorist activities when it comes to what could have caused the building collapse.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”