Overall rating and opinion of "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall

Use this forum to discuss the November 2021 Book of the month, "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall
Maha Ata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maha-ata.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall

Post by Maha Ata »

This book is a well written psychological thriller with many unexpected twists throughout the plot to keep the reader engaged. However, I didn't like the terrorist to be shown related to Islam so it felt to me the author being biased towards a religion. Terrorism has no religion and should be condemned on it's own without looking into religious background. The book is full of mystery and is suitable for thriller and mystery lovers.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

The story started well and had me pretty intrigued, but sadly it didn't really pan out. The initial conflict remained essentially internal. There were some twists and turns in events but they didn't shine much light on the conflict. Then in a moment of epiphany, the theme was understood, but sadly only explored superficially. I also didn't feel the end contributed much and left me feeling disappointed with the story.
Junior Gesuka 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Junior Gesuka 1 »

The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall is a wonderfully written and richly descriptive novel with brilliantly drawn characters. The author weaves a well-crafted psychological thriller with intriguing twists and turns that will captivate the reader from the first page to the last.

The contrast between tone and content is a characteristic talent of only a few authors. Kendall pays as much attention to his sentences as he does to his plots, shifting or consolidating meaning with the use of a single word. His writing is impeccably honed, full of juxtapositions and qualifications that help to create an emotional atmosphere that will have you spellbound.

The book description gives a sneak preview: ‘When small-time architect John Gowan awakes in hospital with amnesia, he learns he is the designer of a world-famous building, replacing one destroyed by terrorists. But his world becomes a nightmare when a spiraling darkness stops him from seeing or remembering anything about the building, threatening his very existence if his secrets are exposed. Expected to fulfil his responsibilities with the media, his client, his own company and personal relationships, he desperately seeks the truth before it’s too late.’

I enjoyed the story, character development, and dialogue. There were plenty of plot twists that I didn’t see coming and that added to the book’s mystique.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

I liked this book. It is well written as a psychological thriller. The main character is interesting, nuanced and complex just like the plot. A web of anticipation drew me in from the first few sections of the book. The initial exposition was crafted expertly. There were places where the pacing larger but it wasn't too bad. The cliffhanger end was both frustrating and enjoyable. I moderately enjoyed this book.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

The psychological thriller had me reading tirelessly and it made me want to check out other books by the author. The pacing seemed to slow down unexpectedly here and there but the twists and turns in the narrative made up for it, in my opinion. Full rating.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Maria Ferreira Silva
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-ferreira-silva.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Maria Ferreira Silva »

A psychological thriller that puts the reader full of tension and suspense.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

I'm so happy I read this book since the psychological suspense kept me turning the pages nonstop and inspired me to look into the author's other works. Occasionally, the speed seemed to slow down unexpectedly, but the story's turns and turns made up for it. I'm going to give this book a perfect rating.
Faruqinspired
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faruqinspired.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Faruqinspired »

There is nothing in this likeable psychological novel that I did not like. Amazing character and narrative development. The tone of the text is good. I would suggest this lovely book to readers who enjoy suspense and intriguing tales.
Blessing Otuokere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-otuokere.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Blessing Otuokere »

This book intrigues me with its mystery. I'd give it a perfect score of five stars. I enjoy John's personality and the way the book portrays him. After finishing it, I heartily suggest it to readers who adore thrillers and suspense stories, like myself.
Faruqinspired
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faruqinspired.html
Latest Review: Final Act by Van Fleisher

Post by Faruqinspired »

It is a skillfully written psychological suspense novel about the peculiar events that occurred in the life of the lead character, John Gowan. The plot of the novel is interesting and full of unanticipated turns. I give it a four-star rating because I had a great time reading it. I adored how the narrative finished on a cliffhanger. The plot does, however, slow down frequently, especially in the beginning. Martin's writing style is ideal for a psychological suspense novel.

Return to “Discuss "The Freedom Building" by Martin Kendall”