Do you wish that you knew and had read this medical handbook before? (You may share your story, if you feel comfortable)

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Do you wish that you knew and had read this medical handbook before? (You may share your story, if you feel comfortable)

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Is there a situation that you have gone through wherein you wished that you knew the book's content? It could be either about you, a loved one, a stranger, or any person. I'll start.

Back when I was around ten years old, my grandfather in my father's side suffered from a heart attack. We didn't have an effective (and available) emergency service hotline during that year so we had to rely on public transportation means to go to the hospital, and my grandfather ended up in a coma upon arrival in the hospital. I believe that even if only one of my relative knew what to do and had read the contents of the section "Heart Attack (Myocardial Infarction)" from pages 22 to 24, my grandfather would have been in a better condition and would not end up in a coma.
Elendu Ekechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

I wish I had read this book earlier before now. This book is an eye opener to me, I now eat healthy food, take exercise. This book helped me understand the implications of not taking ones health serious.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

The contents of this book are impressive to say the least. Although I can’t think of a situation off the top of my head that I’d need this, I know for sure that it will be my new “go to” resource. The information is useful for professional as well as non professionals .
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

Last year a neighbor while carrying a box suffered a heart attack. It happened in front of my house. I always wondered if I could have done something. In the section "Heart Attack" (Myocardial Infarction) the author explains: "providing CPR to a
heart attack victim who cannot be defibrillated within 4 minutes is a lost cause". I live very far from the hospital, perhaps it would have been useless to apply CPR, but I would have read the book before and tried to do something.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

Elendu Ekechukwu wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 03:23 I wish I had read this book earlier before now. This book is an eye opener to me, I now eat healthy food, take exercise. This book helped me understand the implications of not taking ones health serious.
Fascinating, taking care of your health is Meaningful. This book helps us to consider the health of others. Make us see that in emergencies we can be very useful, even without professional medical training. Both, your own health and the health of others, are important.
brooke oakes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brooke-oakes.html
Latest Review: The Intelligence Factor by Erik Fisher

Post by brooke oakes »

I definitely wish I had read this sooner. I had some health problems back in 2017 and went to a functional medicine doctor to try other alternatives. My diet and lifestyle are much different now, and it has greatly helped my health. I think this book would have helped me figure things out sooner!
regentisbetter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regentisbetter.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by regentisbetter »

I had an incident where a friend of mine was choking and I didn’t know what to do or how to perform the very simple Heinrich maneuver and as such hue could have died if my teacher did not immediately leap to the rescue and saved his life. This is an impact i felt would have been greatly appreciated before.
Susan Kihleng
Currently Reading: Just Give Me a Soft Place to Land
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-kihleng.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Susan Kihleng »

Yes, absolutely wish I had this book on hand before! I moved to a remote tropical island a little over 20 years ago and we have faced medical emergencies countless times over the years. Our biggest issue was when our infant daughter stopped breathing. Thankfully we were able to get her medical attention in time but I always wondered what I could have done differently to prevent some of the lasting damage that took place. But there have been so many other instances as well - an elderly man having a heart attack and I was the only person available to help him, a man chopping his foot nearly off with a machete while cleaning coconut trees in my yard, my husband having a severe head injury when falling off the roof, a close friend falling from a coconut tree and shattering his legs, just to name a few. Fortunately in each of these instances, no deaths occurred. But it's always a good idea to be prepared. I've had to learn that the hard way.
Christine Joy G 1
Favorite Book: How To Be Successful
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-joy-g-1.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Christine Joy G 1 »

Yes, of course! This book is very informative and will be helpful in so many ways, like when I injured myself before and I didn't know what to do, If I've red it I wouldn't panick much because I have the basic knowledge on how to help myself.
Rodel Barnachea

Elendu Ekechukwu wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 03:23 I wish I had read this book earlier before now. This book is an eye opener to me, I now eat healthy food, take exercise. This book helped me understand the implications of not taking ones health serious.
I believe that some health complications discussed in the book, like diabetes, could be prevented by maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I'm glad that you are improving now :>
Rodel Barnachea

Suzer6440 xyz wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 09:22 The contents of this book are impressive to say the least. Although I can’t think of a situation off the top of my head that I’d need this, I know for sure that it will be my new “go to” resource. The information is useful for professional as well as non professionals .
Well, lucky for you that you can't think of any unfortunate events in the past that didn't need the content of the medical handbook. I agree with what you said about making the book your " 'go to' resource." I'm sure that I'd reap the benefits of reading the book in the future when a relevant event comes up.
Rodel Barnachea

Orion in the Rye wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 11:59 Last year a neighbor while carrying a box suffered a heart attack. It happened in front of my house. I always wondered if I could have done something. In the section "Heart Attack" (Myocardial Infarction) the author explains: "providing CPR to a
heart attack victim who cannot be defibrillated within 4 minutes is a lost cause". I live very far from the hospital, perhaps it would have been useless to apply CPR, but I would have read the book before and tried to do something.
I feel sad reading your story. I hope that we'll be able to apply our learnings from the medical handbook in case a similar event happens.
Rodel Barnachea

brooke oakes wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 14:40 I definitely wish I had read this sooner. I had some health problems back in 2017 and went to a functional medicine doctor to try other alternatives. My diet and lifestyle are much different now, and it has greatly helped my health. I think this book would have helped me figure things out sooner!
I'm happy to know that you've changed your diet and lifestyle and that you've improved your health now. I do hope that others who are experience health problems quickly resolve their issues, especially after they've read this book.
Rodel Barnachea

regentisbetter wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 18:34 I had an incident where a friend of mine was choking and I didn’t know what to do or how to perform the very simple Heinrich maneuver and as such hue could have died if my teacher did not immediately leap to the rescue and saved his life. This is an impact i felt would have been greatly appreciated before.
Hey, I'm glad to know that your friend turned out okay. I hope that you now know how to perform a Heimlich maneuver. I also suggest, if you haven't, to check out YouTube videos about the maneuver as a supplementary resource.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I really wish I had read this book earlier. I'm currently suffering from health problems related to eating too much junk food. If had read this book earlier I would have taken better care of my health. I would have eaten healthy diets like I do now and exercised more.

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”