Do words actually carry a big impact?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Re: Do words actually carry a big impact?

Post by Buk Nerd »

Words certainly carry a big impact, especially to a sick or wounded patient in an anxious state of mind. Saying the wrong thing is sure to impact the patient negatively. I believe the best course of action is to keep the patient as calm as possible and hold off on giving them further bad news till they are in a better position to handle it.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

It depends a lot on the situation. In cases where the patient may opt for different types of treatment or where a problem allows multiple choices, telling the truth seems the best way. This should be the approach regardless of the gravity of the situation. In extreme cases where there is little hope, the doctor has to have common sense and caution. I have had contact with a multitude of doctors who behaved horribly.
Tehreem_Khan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tehreem-khan.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Tehreem_Khan »

I'm in my final year of medical college. To some extent, what the author says resonates with what we are taught. There are times when the condition of the patient is revealed to him, e.g. when the patient is educated and reasonable enough to grasp the reality.
Although, the time, words and attention given in conveying this can totally alter the patients experience.
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

Be it as it may irrespective of the fact that you would love to disclose the truth about the patient's health, I think your words should be chosen wisely when it comes to the life of a patient, as it may either affect them mentally or physically. Rather, I suggest you choose a simple means of letting them know their challenges.
Virginia Mati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-virginia-mati.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Virginia Mati »

I agree. The words when you are managing a patient can have a negative and positive impact on that patient. Also, I do not think that it is even ethical to keep the patient not knowing important and necessary information on their health. They need to know, they need to be told - all this should be done professionally.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
ROSEY-ANN
Favorite Book: Winning the War on Cancer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roseyann.html
Latest Review: Building A Coaching Culture by Andreas Von Der Heydt

Post by ROSEY-ANN »

Nonny2208 wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 22:35 Words have a very big impact on a patient. You can't just walk up to a patient and tell him/her that he/she is going to die no matter what happens. Even at a 90% probability for death, people still survive and it largely depends on the determination of the patient. You have to keep that determination and drive alive if not the battle is lost even before it begins.

I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. There exist a probability that the professional opinion may be true in most cases but not in all. So even when a situation may seem dire. It may in fact not be so. It is important to have a positive and reassuring attitude.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Words have a powerful impact, especially on those suffering from serious illnesses. Their mentality and mind were very pessimistic, and they were gradually losing hope. However, I believe that telling the truth is a great option. Telling the truth will help them accept the reality of the situation. It may be excruciating, but medical personnel must take care of them and explain certain events to them with caution and an optimistic demeanor.
Nonso Ok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-ok.html
Latest Review: A Murder in Brownsville by Donald Steven Collins

Post by Nonso Ok »

I think what the author meant is that we should be more compassionate when dealing with patients. Yes, they would be told the truth at one point, however, it is important we study the patient and understand what each person's level is before we decide on how to go about it. It is best to reassure them so that they would not panic even when breaking news to them.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

This thread is too generic and is receiving a large amount of off-topic posts, so I am locking the it. :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”