Are you satisfied about the accuracy of the content?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
marta baglioni
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marta-baglioni.html
Latest Review: Shatter Girl by Shay Miranda

Re: Are you satisfied about the accuracy of the content?

Post by marta baglioni »

I am quite satisfied, actually. It is expressly stated that this book does not substitute a medical course. For a first smattering of information, I'd say it is more than adequate.
Kira Bonita Reece
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy, Box Set
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kira-bonita-reece.html
Latest Review: Starboard Eight by Brian Casey

Post by Kira Bonita Reece »

I am a trained medical professional and I haven't been taught CPR so the information looks pretty accurate to me. I think going through an actual CPR training course would be more beneficial though
Amaka Ike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amaka-ike.html
Latest Review: The Frights of Fiji by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Amaka Ike »

I am not medically inclined so I cannot vouch for the book, but I believe that the writer cannot give us information that is damaging, because he would gain nothing if people die. So I'm satisfied with the medical accuracy of the book, giving us information that can be easily applied, and knowledge that will sustain us.
Hyacinth Bella
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hyacinth-bella.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Hyacinth Bella »

I am not a professional, but I think that the contents of this book are mostly medically accurate (only mostly because I am not sure) and the basics are really helpful in terms of first-aid. I hope that this book would make people be more educated when it comes to basic first-aid and paramedics.
Saint Bruno
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

The truth is that I am not a medical practitioner but I looked up a few of what the author presents and found them to be recommended way to tackle those issues. Therefore, I am satisfied with information the book presents and believe it is accurate.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

While the information presented is accurate in regards to what's discussed, it wasn't meant to be the only reference item in your first aid arsenal. There's a lot of scenarios presented in the text that would tie in well with a companion book that focuses on the topic being discussed. Case and point, the sections on snakebites and alternative medicines.

As noted in the snakebites section, the treatments are for US-based individuals. While the author highlights some notable venom carrying snakes, it's by no means a definitive guide and would warrant a companion book on all venomous snake species. Not just the species, but the type of toxins their venom contains.

Reason being, there are a lot of invasive species that fall into the venomous category. Many of which don't have an antivenom available stateside. Which brings me to the next point, alternative medicines.

There's little to no mention of medicinal herb treatments in regards to snakebites. Not just snakebites, but ailments in general. There's a small section dedicated to the topic, but like snakebites you will need a companion book on the topic.

While not perfect, it's a nice starting point for learning the basics so that you have a better understanding of what needs to be done in emergency situations.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I'm no professional, so I can't say much about the accuracy of the contents of this book. But from what I've read the knowledge seems very helpful for emergencies. If there is no professional in the vicinity, then the book provides enough knowledge that we may save a life. I applaud the author for his efforts.
AzmainReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azmainreviews.html
Latest Review: The New Eugenics by Conrad B. Quintyn

Post by AzmainReviews »

Simplifying the medical terms and concepts for the general public is the main focus of the book. The author did an excellent job on that. I am quite satisfied with that.
Macha Marumo Mphela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macha-marumo-mphela.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Macha Marumo Mphela »

I didn't question the contents of the book much since I'm not all that clued-up with medical procedures, however, I think you raised an interesting point which I think is worth some research effort. Thank you.
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Post by Amanda Dobson »

I am not a trained professional but from personal experiences I did find a few inconsistencies like the one mention in regards to CPR. Now having said that this book is a good resource for people when a medical professional is not available. Like with all medical books like this you need to take the information and determine if it is right for you.
Macha Marumo Mphela
Currently Reading:

aaurba wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 00:30
Orion in the Rye wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 20:04 The content did not seem inaccurate to me, although I am not an expert on the subject. Concerning Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation, as the author mentions: "The only way to learn this technique is to take a CPR course — It cannot be properly self-taught". So, knowing that it is a book that seeks to give basic information about the subject, it is not a problem for me.
I like what you mentioned. As someone who has been taught CPR, I committed a lot of mistakes (as pointed out by the volunteer trainer). So it is important to note that some practical applications discussed by the book will have the reader need outside expert guidance. It is also safe to say that some information that can be easily applied or practiced do not need instruction from other people.
I like what you say about seeking outside expert guidance because the reading of info and the application thereof can be completely different things that require physical practice.
Macha Marumo Mphela
Currently Reading:

Anthonio042 wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 23:06 Some terms and concepts may not correspond to how medical practitioners perceive them. The author, on the other hand, attempts to assert efficient and effective practices that can be beneficial to its specific target. I read some context that differed from my point of view as well, but after meticulous investigation and research, I determined them to be alternately credible. I am not a medical practitioner, but this book has a lot of potentials.
And this is why we read, right? To discover things that are new to us and may help us in ways that could even be life-saving. I also discovered new things that made my eyes pop when I read the book and they gave me information I never knew I needed.
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

I may not be a medical practitioner nor an expert with medical procedures, but the book according to my knowledge is as accurate with its content as it can get. The author really did a good job of explaining the procedures in full details so for me, I am really satisfied with its acuracy. :D
Dr Chocha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dr-chocha.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Dr Chocha »

With the medical knowledge embedded in me, I find this book accurate and useful to the public. I could have condemned some procedures of course and the CPR is one of them but after realizing the targeted audience I found it fit.
ej_author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ej-author.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by ej_author »

From what little medical knowledge I have, I was satisfied with the accuracy of the content. While I'm not in the medical field myself, I have many close family members and friends who are, and the content seems to hold up as far as I know. However, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few inconsistencies, as the author is trying to relate medical knowledge to an average person rather than a trained professional.
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader." --Robert Frost

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”