Are you satisfied about the accuracy of the content?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
The_knight
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-knight.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Re: Are you satisfied about the accuracy of the content?

Post by The_knight »

The book contain medical vocabulary which isn't limited by medical knowledge, meaning if someone knows nothing about medical scenarios, it won't limit his or her ability to apprehend the message intended by the author.
That alone is a huge thumps up for me, I mean I knew some little things about medical aspect but not as much as covered in this book.
Amenrodion
Currently Reading: Fates Sweet Passion
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Amenrodion »

I am a linguist so, I cannot judge the accuracy of this book. I really hope that there are no huge inaccuracies as some of us may find ourselves in positions where we might use something learned from this book. I hope we don't end up endangering lives when we think we are saving them.
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cwilde13 »

I think that the content should have been up-to-date and as accurate as possible. It does not matter that the handbook is meant for non-professionals. The information should match exactly what the professionals would do in such a situation.
Jimmy Irvin
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimmy-irvin.html
Latest Review: Nemesis Horizon Project by Eric Stephen Booth-Driver-Robinson

Post by Jimmy Irvin »

As a retired Registered Nurse, I found most of the information accurate. I do however agree that some of the CPR steps/information are outdate. The most important aspect of CPR is establishing an airway. I have read other comments about not securing the cervical spine prior to CPR. That is true but sometimes that is not possible. If the person is not breathing and has no heartbeat, you must get oxygen to the brain. You kind of have to weigh your options. If you are not breathing and have no heartbeat, then you are dead. You have to ask yourself which is more important. The person may end up paralyzed but they will be alive.
Niklaus Mikaelson 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Niklaus Mikaelson 1 »

The information in the book might not be in accordance to medical laws but then it would help non-medical individuals to help in a health situation.
Jodeci 007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodeci-007.html
Latest Review: Inspiring Moments by Crystal Holdipp

Post by Jodeci 007 »

The information is accurate for the most part, and I found the parts on CPR very helpful, even though I found myself having to verify information from other doctors to understand them fully. Some medical terms are not correctly used in the book, though, but I understand that this is for nonmedical readers.
Jodeci 007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodeci-007.html
Latest Review: Inspiring Moments by Crystal Holdipp

Post by Jodeci 007 »

The information is accurate for the most part, and I found the parts on CPR very helpful, even though I found myself having to verify information from other doctors to understand them fully. Some medical terms are not correctly used in the book, though, but I understand that this is for nonmedical readers.
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

I agree with lumenchristi. I am not a medical professional, so I can't answer your concerns about some of the accuracy of the book. It does seem to me, a non-professional, that the author covers the basics very well and hopefully if there are any slight inaccuracies, it will not result in harm to the patients.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Bello Qudus Ola
Currently Reading: Pick the Plot
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Bello Qudus Ola »

lumenchristi wrote: 02 Oct 2021, 11:16 I am not a medical professional, but i found the information present as accurate as possible. Since the target audience is not primarily medical professional, I think we should applaud the effort of the author.
The author has done a nice job by being able to educate and communicate the cogent information to a beginner or medical aspirant, based on the content of the book, it is almost impossible for the author to get a perfect score when it comes down to addition of medical terminologies. :tiphat:
Jessica045
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica045.html
Latest Review: George by James H Russell

Post by Jessica045 »

I wouldn't say much, as I'm not in the medical line. But from the little i know and encountered in this book, I'll say yes, i was comfortable with its accuracy.
Rashi Agrawal
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashi-agrawal.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rashi Agrawal »

Yes, I am satisfied with the contents of the book. I am not a professional in the field of medicines but I could find some familiarities with what I have read and known from other articles. Since the target audience of the author is not primarily medical professionals but for everyone in general, the content is quite appreciable and apt.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

One of the reasons why I read many books is to be able to compare the information. I am not in the medical field but found this book to be informative and it seems accurate. This book equipped me with basic techniques that I can use in an emergency situation. The technicalities are crucial and it is important for them to be accurate but I doubt I'll remember exactly where to position my hands on the chest when performing CPR but what is important is that I'll know what must be done and I'll do my level best. Also, the jargon used in medical books overwhelms me most of the times, so I stay away from them.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Luchris_klaus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-klaus.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Luchris_klaus »

The book is mostly accurate. It contains pure details that can help save lives. Although, there some medical administration that cannot be offered without the aid of an expert.
Shivansh_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Shivansh_Reviews »

I'm happy that this book portrays everything as it is. There's nothing hidden from normal people, and this will be a great source for students who are in medical field.
Gabriella H
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: A Man Who Would Be King
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella-h.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Gabriella H »

Whoops! I'm not a medical professional, and as such, I didn't notice these things you have pointed out. While reading, I felt like the author did a thorough job. I would have to look into these issues you've raised to know whether the author was inaccurate.

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”