Do you wish that you knew and had read this medical handbook before? (You may share your story, if you feel comfortable)

Use this forum to discuss the October 2021 Book of the month, " Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey
Amanda Dobson
Currently Reading: The King's Trial
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-dobson.html
Latest Review: The Quest For The Phoenix Crown by Xander T. Petersen
Reading Device: Apple

Re: Do you wish that you knew and had read this medical handbook before? (You may share your story, if you feel comforta

Post by Amanda Dobson »

This book is definitely very informative to the reader. And I have had many experiences in which I find myself looking back saying if I only knew this then. Now knowing about this book and because of my experiences I feel I have grown personally in that I ask the questions instead of living with the what if’s.
I think that this book of nothing else gives the reader the knowledge that may be needed to get them to ask more questions or just make personal changes.
And for that reason I am glad that I have found it now in my life because I also feel that if I had discovered it sooner I may not have appreciated it for what it was a informative book to the reader.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

I am so sorry about your Grandfather. I only had one instance where this knowledge would have come in handy. My little sister almost drowned in a pool, but luckily there were adults around and they saved her. That was a long time ago.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Tamara Abdellatif
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-abdellatif.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Thomas Alfie
Reading Device: B093JJWXSY

Post by Tamara Abdellatif »

It really does help!
Wish I had it on hand when my mom was ill.
We were told (14 yo teenagers) to just call someone if anything happens to our mom.
The adults that came to help made it worse!
They tried their best and followed what they thought was the best coarse of action, but it was misinformation they had..

Heres the thing, unfortunately not everyone understands instructions the same.
When you have a group of people be told something. And later have them relay what you said to them, each person will say something different.

Reading on the other hand can be more efficient at relaying information.
The amount of misunderstanding is significantly lower!
It doesn't mean people would understand 100% or act like a medical professional, but at least they'll have some correct background information to keep them and others alive long enough, or at the least do the minimum to lessen the injury.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

While this book is useful, it does go beyond first aid. Forgey says outright that some training is required. So, I do not think it would be suitable, on its own, for such a helpless situation as you describe in your experience, which seems close to what Forgey terms as ‘off-grid’ even though it happened where there should be emergency help. The content that I do wish I had because of my own experience with allergies is the section on ‘Allergic Dermatitis’. I’ve been poked and prodded over the years in the name of unnecessary skin tests for allergies.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

aaurba wrote: 03 Oct 2021, 00:08 Is there a situation that you have gone through wherein you wished that you knew the book's content? It could be either about you, a loved one, a stranger, or any person. I'll start.

Back when I was around ten years old, my grandfather in my father's side suffered from a heart attack. We didn't have an effective (and available) emergency service hotline during that year so we had to rely on public transportation means to go to the hospital, and my grandfather ended up in a coma upon arrival in the hospital. I believe that even if only one of my relative knew what to do and had read the contents of the section "Heart Attack (Myocardial Infarction)" from pages 22 to 24, my grandfather would have been in a better condition and would not end up in a coma.
I agree with you. Knowing the content of the book, or any other useful information for the matter can go a long way. I know of a colleague who fell from a temporary-walled shaft in a construction site while on training. He was still alive, but because of the traffic jam, he didn't make it before they arrived at the hospital. I think in situations like these you can't help but wonder if someone who knew these information was there what could have happened. So I guess there's no harm, but always a probable advantage, of knowing the content of this book and others like it.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
ej_author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ej-author.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by ej_author »

Luckily, I've never been in a situation where I needed to have this kind of medical knowledge, but wow, am I glad that I have it now! I feel a lot more prepared for any medical emergencies I may face.

However, I do wish I would have read this book earlier, as I've only just recently gotten serious about my diet and exercise. If I would have had this book a few years ago, I think I would have realized sooner how important it is to live a healthy lifestyle.
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader." --Robert Frost
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Several years ago I felt as if I was having a heart attack. My husband called an ambulance to come get me and transport me to the hospital. As it turns out I had a low potassium level. If I’d had this book I could have saved him a lot of worry.
Anil G
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anil-g.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Anil G »

Anyone who had read this book or any similar book gains knowledge that is so helpful to everyone around that person. I haven't had any emergency accidents in my life but now I'm helping the one who needs it by giving advice and guidance.
A great author communicates to readers through books. - Anil Gupta
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

I wish I had known about this book earlier. I do know some first aid but not knowing causes panic. Panic can kill. Just knowing what constitutes an emergency is helpful. What to expect from health care professionals is also helpful. People should read the book before emergencies happen. Get familiar with the book, the information, and your abilities. (Side note: my phone reset during the 911 call I made when my husband collapsed- thankfully, I know CPR)
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

Life is frustratingly unpredictable. Arming yourself with knowledge is usually a smart idea. Medical knowledge for emergency situations should be taught in schools since, as your message and the answers above illustrate, these events can arise at any time.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I found the book to be very instructive and an excellent resource. This type of knowledge helps to calm fears when health situations arise. There are many steps to be taken before recurring to a doctor/hospital visit. I appreciate the work the author put in to producing this resource to educate us and give us confidence in resolving health issues. The idea of "prepping" teaches us to have adequate supplies on hand and be prepared to help ourselves and others in treating health matters.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

Well, yes, I think reading this book sooner would have been helpful. It has a lot of useful information, and we never know when the day comes somebody has a medical emergency right in front of us. I was once the first to arrive to a car accident scene (also the first who managed to avoid the crash!) and that time I had the teachings of First Aid course fresh in my mind, which naturally helped. Anyway, this book provides much more useful information than the First Aid course alone, so I feel the ones who read this book are better equipped for situations like this.
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
ellaiela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellaiela.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by ellaiela »

Yes, I wish I had read this book a month before so I know what to do other than panicking when my brother suddenly suffers shortness of breath and collapses on the floor and the ambulance took an hour before it arrived in our house.
"It's the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting."
-The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
Elendu Ekechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elendu-ekechukwu.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elendu Ekechukwu »

Seeing the effects of alcohol and junk foods in my life. I wish I had read this book earlier, I would have clearly understood the negative effect of all this in my life
Oluoma C
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-c.html
Latest Review: Dread Tribunal of Last Resort by Brian Kaufman

Post by Oluoma C »

I wish I came across this book before now,I would have been more informed on healthy eating habits.

Return to “Discuss the "Preppers Medical Handbook" by William W Forgey”