Rion’s inability to keep a secret

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
cluetop
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cluetop.html
Latest Review: Mysteries you can't put down by Brad Bennett

Rion’s inability to keep a secret

Post by cluetop »

Throughout this book, I was dumbfounded at how easily Rion trusted the people around him and divulged secrets. He was quick to explain anything and everything (flash drive, powers, info about mom etc.) to each person he met whether it was Pavo, the Predators, or Psyriin. What do you guys think? Was his almost constant cooperation surprising to you?
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

I am not too surprised by this simply because I know someone who acts similarly. Although I don't behave the same and neither do I approve, but I have to admit that it sometimes pays off. Trusting people can sometimes be what makes people replicate trustworthiness. However, I have to say that if you overly trust people you would oftentimes be let down. But Rion is just a character in the author's and the readers' minds, so I guess his fate lies in the hands of the author.
Courtney Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-hughes.html
Latest Review: Summer in the City by Kevin Phelps

Post by Courtney Hughes »

I think there were different factors that played into Rion divulging the information he did. However, I think I would react differently in a couple of the situations. If I were being tortured or held hostage, I might give up information as well after a certain point. But just to gain replicated trustworthiness, I don’t think I would be so willing.
Ethan Howe
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-howe.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ethan Howe »

I think that because Rion is a good person, he thinks everyone is good and thinks that everyone can be trusted with secrets. Or he was not mindful of who he was telling his secrets and just wanted to talk.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I think that Rion divulging information has deferent factors in different situations. However I don't appreciate him giving away information so easily. But trusting easily can be a positive point in earning back trust.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

cluetop wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 00:49 Throughout this book, I was dumbfounded at how easily Rion trusted the people around him and divulged secrets. He was quick to explain anything and everything (flash drive, powers, info about mom etc.) to each person he met whether it was Pavo, the Predators, or Psyriin. What do you guys think? Was his almost constant cooperation surprising to you?
No, it was not surprising to me. Rion was my favourite character and I believe he really was a good person. I could relate to Rion because I'm just like him. I also trust people very easily. However, giving information too easily is not good.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I am not that surprised with this characteristic of Rion. Yes, he should have kept his mouth closed in multiple instances throughout the story, but I guess the author has made the character of Rion as an innocent little boy who trusts too easily. Anyways, the way he gave away information repeatedly in the story was a bit foolish.
ej_author
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ej-author.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by ej_author »

I'm really glad you brought this up, as this was surprising to me, too! My overall opinion is that Rion's character isn't very consistent. He is extremely closed off and shy at the beginning of the book, but then, as you said, he suddenly starts divulging everything to people. If he hadn't been so tight-lipped at the beginning of the book, I think I could have believed his inability to keep a secret because he is pretty naive, especially since he's been shut away from the world his whole life. But keeping in mind Rion's character as a whole, this issue seems to be the author sacrificing the consistency of the character for the sake of the plot, at least in my opinion.
"No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader." --Robert Frost
mohamed benziane
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohamed-benziane.html
Latest Review: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life by Lewis Kempfer
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by mohamed benziane »

Actually it is, it's a little confusing how from one hand he is a social introvert ND shy and does mingle with people or talk to them or make eye contact, and on the other hand he spills everything about everyone to anyone, maybe that's why he does chat with people because he can't keep his mouth shut :lol:
Ndive Mzamo
Currently Reading: The Price of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndive-mzamo.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ndive Mzamo »

Rion keeps spreading secrets because he believes in people and wants their opinion. Sometimes when you keep secrets, becomes your burden, so he wants to let go of burden and get relief.
Rosefarid
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Rosefarid »

His mother brought him up innocently. He's just 17 and he himself shocked by his abilities,we know how the author shows him naive and he 's flexible either and that's why he was so open and share everyone about his secrets, finally if he keep himself the secret author cannot finish the novel..
Mutai Marshal
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 518
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai-marshal.html
Latest Review: Supercharge Your Production with 5 Time Management Hacks by Lucy Ledet

Post by Mutai Marshal »

I am not that surprised at all. Taking into consideration his age and upbringing, Rion was gullible. I used to trust people easily at the same age. It is upon parents to groom children at a young age about the people in the society and why they cannot trust everyone, or else they will learn the hard way.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

It does not surprise me. I believe that he self walled as protection to keep from being hurt by constantly moving, but secretly, he wanted the attention of those around him. Spilling secrets so willingly was perhaps an effort to please those currently giving him much craved attention that he hadn't previously acknowledged himself wanting.
Favour AN
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-an.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Favour AN »

Rion is a good person. He believes everyone is good. However, it did not seem realistic for someone to trust that easily. It seemed very unrealistic for me. I still don't get why he would give out secrets that easy.
Virginia Mati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-virginia-mati.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Virginia Mati »

That was a very risky thing that Rion was doing. Despite himself being a good person, he needed to understand that not everyone carries such goodness. The repercussions of the unrealistic trust towards everyone would be great if anyone decided to mess things up.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”