Rion's problem in social mingling, was it because of him or his mother?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Rion's problem in social mingling, was it because of him or his mother?

Post by Amy Luman »

I really don’t think that his problem was anyone’s fault. Some people just prefer to spend time by themselves and don’t feel the need for any social interaction other than what they have without seeking it out. Perhaps the bond he has with his mother was enough for him.
Courtney Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-hughes.html
Latest Review: Summer in the City by Kevin Phelps

Post by Courtney Hughes »

Seroney_ wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 05:47 I believe that Rion played a bigger role in his personality. Just like any other person, his mother and environment played a role in making him the person he is. To add to that, I feel Rion would have been a different person if his mother had been a more centric figure in his life.
To add to your point, his mother should’ve been more central in his life AND been open about his father. It could’ve helped shape him to have answers about the male figure that was supposed to be around.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I strongly believe it to be due to moving around so much. I suffered from moving during my childhood years, and it created a feeling of disconnect. I don't believe my new friendships were a strong as the ones I had to leave behind, and that was only from moving once. Had I moved again, it would have been even more difficult. Six schools in 4 years? That's extremely difficult, and a huge contributor to Rion's loneliness and anti-social nature.
Favour AN
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-an.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Favour AN »

I changed school so much as a child due to my dad's job. It did not affect my ability to make friends, unlike Rion, I'm an extrovert. So, I would not blame his lack of a social circle on his mum or her job. I would not also say it is because he did not want any friends, I had thought this was the reason until the time he was waiting to see Dee at the weekend. This showed he wanted to have friends. I think he was shy, too shy. That is the reason, we may call it being an introvert but, that is the main reason he found it hard to make friends.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Ethan Howe wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 00:33 I think that having special powers caused him the problems and made him fear that other people will see him as a stranger. His mothers failure to motivate and talk to him about his powers also caused this.
But it shows how he came to full realization of his powers at a later age, though some random showings of power have been occurred. Rion did not use his powers even in front of his mother. And also he showed a good control over his powers, so he did not have the risk of accidentally using them whenever he was among others. So I don't think his telekinetic abilities were a hindrance for his social mingling.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Hhannahh wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 01:35 Well, this is an easy one; Rion's social problem stemmed primarily from moving so often. Remember when his mom got him a dog, which died after three weeks, and once again, after six weeks, they moved out. A child will certainly never form deep connections with things if they are taken away so quickly.
With all due respect, did the dogs die because they moved too often? A small kid may find it difficult to form new friends when he gets to move too often. But Rion showed no interest in making friends even when he was a teenager. Let's keep aside deep bonds. But he was even reluctant to befriend with Dee who readily approached him expecting mere friendship with no intention of a deep bond.
Sushan Ekanayake

Pearl Hijabi wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 03:13 Changing schools and environment frequently may be one of the reasons for Rion not having any friends. But frankly I think he's more of an introvert because I don't think a teenager would need any assistance from teachers or parents to make friends.
I am glad to find someone who think alike. I too don't see any lacking area of Rion for needing any assistance for him to make new friends. He is a music lover and will be a favourite among similar friends. But he shows an introverted character, and for no specific reason he loves to be alone.
Harshi4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harshi4.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Harshi4 »

It is human nature to want to belong, to be loved and cherished. I do not think that Rion did not want to have friends. I believe that he did not have friends due to multiple reasons including, the contant traveling, not wanting to lose people and get hurt, and his mother's silence. All these reasons played their part in affecting Rions life one way or the other.
MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Post by MayorE »

I think it was just in Rion’s nature to be introverted. Although he's moving around due to his mum's nature of job contributed greatly to him not having many friends, it wasn't the determining factor as there are many ways to keep in touch with friends these days
Crescent Gold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Crescent Gold »

I believe it changing location very often. Believe no one would like to be emotionally devastated after leaving their friend whom they have already become attached to. I also believe his mother also contributed to his introverted nature. Rion's mum interaction and support would have bring him "out of his shell".
Sushan Ekanayake

B Creech wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 04:49 I think Rion had a hard time making friends because he was constantly having to move from school to school. When I was growing up my family moved rather frequently, causing me and my siblings to change schools frequently and it affected me with making new friends. Also, he knew he was different and didn't want others to know so he didn't even try to make friends.
I think it is more because of Rion not attempting to make new friends. Though he was the target of the many jokes in his new school, Dee tried to befriend with him. It seemed like he appreciated the company, but had second thoughts too. Maybe Rion thinking of himself as a different person was the reason behind his this behaviour.
Sushan Ekanayake

Rosefarid wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 05:13 Introduction starts at least with the glance.. If Rion purposely avoid having eye contact then how could he have friends.. I felt that Rion understood he wasn't one of them and no one looked like him and that's why he couldn't mingle with anyone.. She gave birth to an Eagle and an Eagle cannot mingle with chicken.It's not his mother's fault.
We see how Rion thought of him as an alien. So what you say is correct. As per Rion an eagle cannot mix with chicken. But it was not because he thought of himself in a superior manner, or the other way round. We see how he sits at the corner most seat of the class and remain llooking outside the window. With that behaviour how can he make friends?
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

Moving around a lot does that to most kids. They simply assume it is unnecessary to make new friends when they would lose them again. More so, Rion's super powers played a major role in that since he was seeing himself as different and confused about it for that matter.
jaym_tan
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaym-tan.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jaym_tan »

His mother did contribute to his introvertedness and I can see why as she only wanted to protect him. Plus, he also had to move again every school year. In my opinion, he didn't feel the need to interact with others since he would just be saying goodbye if ever get to have a meaningful friendship with them.
Valerie Garske
Currently Reading: the girl who know Davanci
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-garske.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valerie Garske »

We can blame our parents all we want, but eventually, we have to recognize it is our life and our choices. Rion did not mingle because he did not want to keep losing friends, but still, it was his decision, not to keep in touch long-distance. Today's world, with technology, makes it easy to keep in touch albeit not face to face, but through social media. Therefore, it was Rion who did not make the effort to make or keep friends. Nevertheless, we don't all need hundreds of friends, and with Rion's special talents, he was hesitant to share with outsiders who would not be able to relate.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”