Rion's problem in social mingling, was it because of him or his mother?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Killian Nichilo
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-killian-nichilo.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Rion's problem in social mingling, was it because of him or his mother?

Post by Killian Nichilo »

Sushan wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 00:32 Rion did not have any long-term friends. And it seems like he is not even trying to have any. Seemingly he is an introvert who is shy to talk with strangers, and also content with his loneliness. His unusual ability led him to think of him as an alien, and it too supported his nature to remain further.
I ignore them before heading to my favorite classroom position. Nothing says don’t talk to me like the back corner window seat.
(Location 91 - Kindle version)
I give an apathetic nod, coupled with my best faulty smile, before turning back toward the window. I avoid making eye contact with any other student. The chirping birds have my attention for the next few minutes,[/quote] (Location 113 - Kindle version)

But we see how he could not remain in one place (or one school) because of his mother's job. It is common for a student to feel awkward when going to a new school, and it is fair for a usual student to require some time to make new friends.
New schools. New surroundings. I’ve done them so many times they’ve become as much of a routine as tying my shoes.
(Location 66 - Kindle version)
This is my sixth school in four years
(Location 84 - Kindle version)

Ultimately these reasons made Rion a lonely fellow. Even the connection between him and his mother was not too strong. Which component contributed his loneliness the most? Was it his nature? Was it his mother's frequent change of locations? Or was it because his mother was never really open with him?
[/quote]

I think it had more to do with the fact of how he was raised. He talks about how as long as he has known it’s moving from place to place. Even his mom kept him distant so he probably developed an avoidant attachment style from it. He never really saw his mom with friends around, so as a young child it’s what he would learn. Not only that but I’ve done the moving from place to place thing; and you develop trust issues and abandonment issues. Even if you are the one leaving you still feel abandoned when people don’t make an effort to keep in touch. There is a high probability that because of having to start over and over again rion just build up the emotional shield of “it’s better to keep people at arms length”. I think it’s very much a nurture rather than nature. People can be introverted but they still want to have someone they can trust. Rion seems to be having a strong case of self isolation; probably due to trauma.
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

My thought is that Rion held himself back, whether consciously or subconsciously, from making friends. Although the frequent movement with his mum contributed to that, he could have freed himself up and let people into his life. A few months is more than enough to build friendships.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

This question revives to the debate between nature and nurture. In this case, it is whether Rion's shyness is caused by his constant moving due to his mother's job or genetics. I think that both of the points that you came up could be turn at the same time. Rion could have been born with a personality more consistent with an introvert than an extrovert. He could have furthered developed this personality trait because of the constant moving that he did for his mother job. There could be another option which is that Rion does not see the value of having relationships since he seems to value his alone time.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I think making friends was a thing of choice for Rion not necessarily the constant moving around caused by the mother's job. There is always a way of communicating with a distant friend especially in this modern age but Rion chose not to mingle.
Alyssa Wakefield
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa-wakefield.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Alyssa Wakefield »

Personally, I believe it was a combination of both. I think Rion’s nature is inherently antisocial, but I also believed that his mom enabled this behavior. Although people can be naturally extroverted, people skills are also built over time and through practice.
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

I do think it was because of his mother and her constant need to move. That would make it hard to socialize for any kid in any circumstance, especially when hiding a secret. I also think it had to do with the fact that he may never see those people again. He could choose to go out and have friends but would eventually have to move. This would mean leaving people he cares about behind, constantly, which would be hard on anyone. Also, having friends makes your life more grounded and I feel like he didn't want to get used to a grounded life because he would have to leave it anyway.
Ayomid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomid.html
Latest Review: A Spiritual Dog: "Bear" by J. Wesley Porter

Post by Ayomid »

I think time is needed to form strong bonds of friendship. Having to move so much might also discourage Rion from making the effort, since he would eventually have to move. So I believe his mother carries some of the blame.
19blueofficial
Favorite Book: Kalayla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-19blueofficial.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by 19blueofficial »

Sushan wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 00:32 Rion did not have any long-term friends. And it seems like he is not even trying to have any. Seemingly he is an introvert who is shy to talk with strangers, and also content with his loneliness. His unusual ability led him to think of him as an alien, and it too supported his nature to remain further.
I ignore them before heading to my favorite classroom position. Nothing says don’t talk to me like the back corner window seat.
(Location 91 - Kindle version)
I give an apathetic nod, coupled with my best faulty smile, before turning back toward the window. I avoid making eye contact with any other student. The chirping birds have my attention for the next few minutes,[/quote] (Location 113 - Kindle version)

But we see how he could not remain in one place (or one school) because of his mother's job. It is common for a student to feel awkward when going to a new school, and it is fair for a usual student to require some time to make new friends.
New schools. New surroundings. I’ve done them so many times they’ve become as much of a routine as tying my shoes.
(Location 66 - Kindle version)
This is my sixth school in four years
(Location 84 - Kindle version)

Ultimately these reasons made Rion a lonely fellow. Even the connection between him and his mother was not too strong. Which component contributed his loneliness the most? Was it his nature? Was it his mother's frequent change of locations? Or was it because his mother was never really open with him?
[/quote]

I can't totally blame Rion's mom for anything. But I have to agree; she played a really vital role in Rion's life. But if anyone was to blame for him not being social, then it's him and him alone. In the real world, many children grow up without their parents there for them 24/7, but they still interact with others, while for some kids it's different. Everyone differs. So if Rion doesn't actively participate with people like we read in the novel. Then it must be part of his nature.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Michaeljerry309 wrote: 07 Sep 2021, 12:17 i believe that despite moving so much that if he was an extrovert he’d have made friends. he wasn’t trying to make any friends. However his introverted behavior may have come about from either moving a lot or not having a strong relationship with his mother.
I am not sure Brady Moore has given enough details of Rion's past life (his childhood), the social aspect, to see whether he begun as an extrovert or an introvert. So it is hard to decide whether he converted himself or not. Anyway we see how he see other kids and the rest of the world. It is like they are not accepting the new appearance, and also not accepting this black kid. So he has enough experiences of being subjected to bullying. Maybe that lead him to decide not to mingle with others and remain alone.
BookishWorld
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by BookishWorld »

I think what he has become is a combination of all factors and not just a single one. Sometimes, even a tiny or seemingly -insignificant factor could tip a person to veer towards a certain angle. We are all unique in our own ways and what could be applicable to us or to someone we know may not always be applicable to others even if the similarities are too stark or the tendency to generalise is more compelling.
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

I feel it has a lot to do with his relationship with his mother. As that was a relatively surface-level type of relationship, there was little to draw inspiration on how to relate with others. Couple that with the frequent moves and it was hard for Rion to pick up any social skills that would alleviate his loneliness outside of his family dynamic.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

I think it was definitely because of his mother's job and constantly changing school and environment. I think that is the sole reason for rion to isolte himself from his pers.
:tiphat:
Daniel Jembi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-jembi.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Daniel Jembi »

I think Rion's personality would have been shaped by the frequent movements and the need for secrecy. Having to keep secrets would not encourage friendship anyway.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

Change affects us all differently, especially if you have separation anxiety. I can empathize with Rions situation. It can be exhausting to have to make friends everywhere you go and then have to leave them all of the time. His mother was intended to urge him to become less introverted and more sociable, but his teachers were also expected to help him by providing psychological assistance. Rion's refusal to establish acquaintances is a form of self-defense.
Cynthia Olyy
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-olyy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cynthia Olyy »

I believe that both are factors to Rion not making friends. There is the problem of constant moving and there is the problem of being an introvert so that little time is not even maximized by him to build a friendship. It's both of them; they both played.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”