Was the story too fast paced, or too centralized around the main character?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Re: Was the story too fast paced, or too centralized around the main character?

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I was satisfied with how the characters were developed. The storyline and self was intriguing enough for me to follow each character’s purpose. I liked Rion and felt like the author did “just enough” to develop each character. The pace was perfect for me and I definitely did not think it was too centralized on Rion
MayorE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayore.html
Latest Review: Remarkably Intact by Celia Belt

Post by MayorE »

In as much as I liked Rion’s character, I agree the book was fast-paced and some characters were not properly developed. Since there is a sequel to the novel, I think the author might just developer the characters properly and that would explain the fast pace of the novel
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I think that the rest of the characters could have been more developed, but that would have meant a much longer book which would not have bothered me in the least. While they weren’t given much detail, Rion sure was. I didn’t think of that as a problem when I was reading I can see how it might be for others.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I loved the pace of the story. It really kept me engaged. I can, however, appreciate the opinion that it moved too quickly. There was not much room for character development. I’m just not too worried about the backstory of the characters.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Peace Chux wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 18:18
Sushan wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 00:29 It felt like the story jump from one point to another too quickly without giving any time to develop the supporting characters. At most occasions all the changes, actions, or the decisions of other characters occurred just to support the needs of the main protagonist. Sometimes they felt like forced and done with no real motivation of their own.

Did you feel this lack of character build up and the story being 'too-centralized' around Rion? Or was it simply because of the first-person narrative?
True, I felt similarly. And not because of the narrative either. The transition was too fast especially when I would expect more from the character. It felt like there was so much unharnessed potential for a better storyline with more depth which would have been utilized if they characters were allowed to take root, develop and blossom.
Maybe it was the first person narrative. When you only use a single person to tell the story the author certainly get limitations in what can and what cannot be revealed without harming the realistic nnature. Rion could not have known the background, history, and many other personal details of all other characters. So the readers who here the story through him too do not have that chance.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Courtney Hughes wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 22:42 I actually liked that the story was fast paced. I accepted that Rion was the focus of the book and didn’t really mind that most of the supporting characters weren’t fully developed. The important ones were prominent enough, like Aries and Ara.
Sometimes a story being fast paced is a relief. Spending too much time on scene and character ddevelopment will exhaust the reader. Yet the logical nnature of the story has to be maintained. Let's keep character build up aside. But the author simply could have stated something to rationalize various actions of the characters, which were simply seen as forced and just done to support the main protagonist with no real reason.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

i actually enjoyed the fast paced book. maybe because i’m busy with work and also reading as well but i was glad that the author didn’t dwell on one point for too long. I hope i’m not the only one who felt this way though.
vanique23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanique23.html
Latest Review: Always Before Me by John Servant

Post by vanique23 »

I agree with your point. The story developed too quickly. Rion was the main character and no focus was placed on other characters, also the author tried to cover so many points and failed to give much details.
Sushan Ekanayake

Ethan Howe wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 00:40 I am a fan of fast paced books, and that explains why I enjoyed this book. Although the characters were not well developed because of the pace, I still enjoyed it because Rion as the focus of the book was well developed.
I too like fast paced books because I like to see the end without beating around the bush. But a book should be fast paced as well as logical at the same time. I agree that Rion's character was developed enough as the main protagonist. But the plot too seemed as only supportive of Rion's progression, which is highly unrealistic and impractical.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

I think that the author had too much to say. I didn't feel, however, that the characters are not well-developed. By definition, the focus is on the central character but I find this natural.
Kaushiki Parihar
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaushiki-parihar.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kaushiki Parihar »

I like stories if they are fast- paced. But poor character development ruin my enjoyment to the book. And it was same for this book. I also felt that the supporting characters were not properly build up and we're just forced to support the main character Rion.
Basant Zaghlol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basant-zaghlol.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by Basant Zaghlol »

I agree with you but I don't think that the story was focused on Rion too much, maybe because there's many characters and the story was fast
Not much was said about them.
the author maybe did that for a purpose in the story by hiding them.
Sushan Ekanayake

Medhansh Bhardwaj wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 09:10 I can't say about fast-paced, but I definitely agree with the story being too centralized on Rion. It was like the other characters weren't even given enough lines to give a taste of their nature. I think the story seemed fast-paced because of the poor character development of the other characters. The author should have either reduced the number of plots and characters, or increased the length of the novel.
There were many different scenarios and many characters. So it is inevitable for many of them being just references. Yet, when many characters become mere names the reader starts to wander about the reason for even mentioning them. For an example Rion's differently abled and poor peers were never mentioned later. Instead the author could have used that time to develop some other important side character.
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

To say it was fast-paced book so it is acceptable for it to have unbalanced character development would be so wrong. I’ve read book with less than 200 pages and still be able to develop the characters. Honestly, if the book provided a better development of the supporting cast, then it would have not come out to be forced.The supporting cast is way too cool to not develop in this one. At times, we can feel the forced nature of the supporting part just to support what Rion has to deal with.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I think the book would have been better if time was given for the development of characters. I generally like fast-paced books, but this one went on a bit too fast for my liking. It would have been better if all the focus was not put on Rion.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”