Was the story too fast paced, or too centralized around the main character?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Orji Gift 1
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orji-gift-1.html
Latest Review: The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Re: Was the story too fast paced, or too centralized around the main character?

Post by Orji Gift 1 »

The story wasn't fast paced; but everything about this book revolved around Rion. I would say it was centralised on Rion. It didn't affect the book though.
addicted reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-addicted-reader.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt

Post by addicted reader »

As much as the story focused more on Rion, I think the author needed to have considered the other characters as well. Having many characters in the story which are not fully developed may leave the reader hanging.
vitalisvicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitalisvicky.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by vitalisvicky »

The author's usage of many characters in the story to support the needs of main character is alarming, and I do agree that most of the characters in the story were not well-developed. The story could have been more interesting if the author had provided more information about them.
fiona monroe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fiona-monroe.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by fiona monroe »

I think the story is centralized around Rion. However, I did not think this is discredited. I enjoyed reading the story from Rion's point of view.
Jack Watson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-watson.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jack Watson »

I think the book s fast-paced and centralized on Rion. In some sections of the book, I felt the story was so fast-paced it created loopholes in time. Also, some of the other characters could have enriched Rion's story. I think that author could have made a good story better if the plot's timeline was consistent and supporting characters fully developed.
Luke Howard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luke-howard.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Post by Luke Howard »

I definitely think it lacked the development to create wholesome characters. It definitely moved very quickly and was very plot centered,and I think that the stories of the characters needed more elaboration. Did you think the author did a good job of revealing them through dialogue? I thought it still could've used more characterization.
doley
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doley.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by doley »

I consider the pace of the story perfect. Perhaps, it might have been somewhat fast pace, but it was paced appropriately. This is a really good one by the author. He was able to touch all the necessary aspects of the story without leaving much out. He also did that in a short period of time. It is a job well done. If the story had gone any slower, I fear it might have gotten bi=oring at some point.
Lily Baker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-baker.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Lily Baker »

The story is centralised around Rion. But the author makes it work well for the story. The pace is a bit fast. But the book is still good despite the pace. Somehow the author makes otherwise discrediting aspects work for the book.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

Yeah it felt a bit too fast-paced and to me this was because there was more of a focus on the plot that character building. I would've enjoyed it more if the character growth and arc was more of a focus.
Blucabana
Currently Reading: The girl that loved carravalagio
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blucabana.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Blucabana »

The character development of the supporting characters like Aries, Pavo, Leo, Ara and Lyra was really poor. It seemed like their personalities and actions were centered around Rion. Their motivations were not believable, and the entire plot is focused on Rion. I do not think the pace is too fast, infact I think it was slow in the beginning of the story.
Halimat Thanni1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halimat-thanni1.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Halimat Thanni1 »

I concur. I honestly felt like the whole story was too fast paced. I wish that more light was shone on the characters. I know that doing this would have made the book a bit lengthy, but I honestly don't mind that.
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

I know that book revolves around the protagonist. But in this book was highly focused on Rion. We deserved to know more about other characters and to feel what they felt whenever they put Rion's needs first. Their connection to Rion should have been well portrayed.
Stephen Ikimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-ikimi.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Stephen Ikimi »

Yes I do. With the jump from one situation to another,one circumstance to another,the book doesn't give enough room for character development. The whole story was too lengthy and fast paced and it could just have been a short story line
B Sheila Holt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: One Christmas Eve
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-sheila-holt.html
Latest Review: Open Heart by Akil Taher

Post by B Sheila Holt »

I agree with some others above in that the author had a reason for not developing all the characters and giving more focus to others. Maybe he was seeing what readers reactions would be to Rion and some of the other characters in the story, if they had medium and smaller roles in this fast-paced book. I’m sure as his series goes on, he will develop some and let others just fall away. I enjoyed the book just as it was, getting a glimpse of everyone, a feel for each person and how the story was playing out. I’ll be interested to see what a next story will look like.
Shivansh_007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shivansh-007.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Shivansh_007 »

Although I agree with some people that tha author could've given a better character development to other characters, but it was just enough for the story to keep moving. The other factor is if it had discussed all that then the story would've expanded quite a lot. But it's all upto you if you enjoy a short and good story or if you want a long and complex one.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”