Is this another coming-of-age fantasy about a super-powered teen, his friends and rivals?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Re: Is this another coming-of-age fantasy about a super-powered teen, his friends and rivals?

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

You are right. The book's premise is trite. I suppose there is an unending demand for such stories - it's probably why they are so popular. I like that the protagonist is black, though.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

We share the same viewpoint on this; most books that delve into this genre frequently provide me with the same perspective and ideology. However, after reading everything about this piece, I assume that the author has equipped some intriguing and distinctive concepts. Notwithstanding, in comparison to other sci-fi fantasy books, the author could not add flavor and more swirls. It almost entirely revolves around the clairvoyants and their adversaries, and the provisions of the riveting new episode are lacking. Nonetheless, this is an excellent novel worth your time because everyone will learn a lot from it, especially the plotline's denouement.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

mohamed benziane wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 16:16 I think it most definitely is, i hate books that have almost the exact same consent and story of other well know and published books, this one for instance is practically the bad version of the X-Men series, authors need to come up with something new and exciting, it's ok to have the same concept, like teens with super powers but you need to add the spice to make it stand out
I agree. X-Men was the first thing that came to my mind too. I won't go to the extent of saying that this is the bad version of X-Men, but this clearly resembles that. This is less in action and also there is no deep story. Brady Moore could have done a far better job by adding some unique stuff for this book, atleast by introducing some new powers as the mentioned ones are already seen in many sci-fi fantasies.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

This is definitely another 'coming-of-age' sci-fi! The same plot as other books of this type, just different characters. I am still enjoying reading it, but it is very similar to other books I've read! Maybe I am enjoying it because it feels familiar. The relationship between Rion and his mother is an unfamiliar touch to others I've read, but otherwise, it is the usual story!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Kim Jek
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kim-jek.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Kim Jek »

While there are many similarities with the common classics of this genre, there are differences as well. Of these, I particularly like Rion's trusting nature. This trait is rare in other similar stories. It gave Rion a human touch rather than a superhuman one.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now

Booklover547 wrote: 03 Sep 2021, 16:35 He didn’t suddenly get powers in high school, he suddenly was forced to use them. The focus shifts to the reason why, which sets this apart from the sci fi genre.
I am not sure about this. If we take X-Men, all of them are born with those powers and that is why they try to hide from the rest of the world. And some realize them later and accidentally. I do not see any difference in that aspect related to Rion. He too born with the abilities and used them in full power only when he had to, and that is what makes him a hero, not merely having super powers, but using them for the betterment of the others.
Sushan Ekanayake

Ndive Mzamo wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 09:10 Yes. After separation Rion finds other Clairvoyants. They all on Psyriin, an agency with unknown agenda.This is all about mingle power with other adolescent.
The blessed ones with super powers (clairvoyants) had a rival group, as usual as all the other super powered ones we see in many other fantasies. But in addition to them we see the struggle for power and domination within the subgroups of clairvoyants. And it is shown how some became predators that hunt their own people, and those who became prey had to merely hide from the unknown rival group as well as their own kind.
Sushan Ekanayake

Devalsodha wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 12:34 I agree that the concept of the story is common like fantasy, teen with super power etc. But yes the author added a spice by mixing up mother son relationship along with the Science fiction.
Rion's character and his style to tackle his setbacks is interesting too.
But do we see much of a mother-son relationship? I did not see there relationship even as a one in between close friends. Rion's mother was too busy and too tired when she was back at home. Their conversations were limited to few words, and the emotional support is really scarce. We can put that in a way that when you are blessed with one thing, you have to sacrifice some other things. Both of them did not want to share thier secrets because they actually were not aware about other's personal life.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I think Rion's story has a couple of factors that set it apart from the run-of-the-mill coming of age and getting superpowers trope. First, Rion didn't get his superpowers in high school. He already had them; his mother had just insisted that he suppress and not use them. Secondly is that very relationship. It's not unusual for there to be tension between the teen and the parent(s) in these books, but it is unusual for the 'evil ones' to be the CAUSE of that tension. The author has taken a well-used trope and given it a few twists to create something unique.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Sohana Hasan
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: shadow and bones
Currently Reading: The Beautiful
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sohana-hasan.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Sohana Hasan »

I have to admit - this storyline is very, very similar to others. However, I must say that this book takes a fresh twist on the very overused "teenager gets superpowers" trope.
Virginia Mati
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-virginia-mati.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Virginia Mati »

I agree with you @Sushan. This reminds me of two things. One is a headline statement which I came across today on social media which read, "Supernatural things to fall on earth soon" :). Two is my times in high school - it was so common to hear stories of people battling with super powers. I guess this is the same sci/fi stories. I wish there would be a newer concept to thing of.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Sushan Ekanayake

Reader-247 wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 14:50 I think this book has used the recipe for trending commonalities fron teen and/or young adult hits, it gives X-men-esque vibes. Super powers, good versus evil, teen drama, all over uttilized, all quite redundant.
Though I agree with you for a certain extent, I won't go to the length of saying this a redundant book. Yes, the author has used a common recipe, but the rest of the story is unique (or atleast not a copy or an adaptation). Rion was a totally new character with different character qualities, and most importantly he is a black kid, which we do not see much in young adult sci-fi fantasy. So I think there are credits that the author earned with his book though he used a common core as the base for it.
Sushan Ekanayake

Black Jewel wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 20:14 I lean heavily towards this being just another sci-fi/fantasy coming of age story that has been so heavily done in the past. This concept has been heavily done, and I don't really feel that Rion's story added anything truly new to this category.
I agree. For the particular sci-fi category per se it actually added nothing new. I think that is not because this book was bad, but the category was heavily done in the past and there is nothing left to be added. But we have to appreciate the author discussing some other topics like mother-son relationship in a commercialized society, importance of connections, racism and gender discrimination, etc.
Joseph Mutuku 1
Currently Reading: TBD August 2022 Book of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-mutuku-1.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Joseph Mutuku 1 »

I think the story has been built on a common old concept of most YA novels. However, despite the fact that the story of Rion and his Clairvoyant friends mimics what happens in X-Men, Avengers, and many others, I think Moore did a great job in making the story enjoyable. It may be not totally unique in its concept but creativity is never lacking in any work, it's only its levels that vary.
Chinaka94
Currently Reading: Making Her His
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaka94.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chinaka94 »

I agree. We're used to it already. Teen with a complicated life trying to figure things out. Suddenly he realizes he's special with special abilities and there's more people like him. He becomes the hero and there's someone out to get him. Same story every time.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”