Rion and his mother

Use this forum to discuss the September 2021 Book of the month, "The Fourth Kinetic: Clairvoyants Book 1" by Brady Moore
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Rion and his mother

Post by Astral Magi »

I think that had they been open with each other, it would certainly have led to a completely different story. So the secrecy is in essence a fundamental part of the plot.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

If they had been more open with each other then things WOULD NOT have been different. I am not convinced that they would have been better. Rion and Diana still would have had to leave, they still would have been chased, Diana would still have pushed Rion out of the car, he still would have had to run, and still would have met the other clairvoyants.
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

I definitely understood why they hid their abilities from each other, but you're right - the story would have changed drastically! Keeping secrets makes for great plot points and suspense though. And the secret keeping between child and parent is, unfortunately, relatable and realistic, which made their relationship feel more genuine than it could have felt.
Amynwankwo_
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amynwankwo.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Amynwankwo_ »

It would have definitely made all the difference. I really can’t understand why his mother would keep all of that a secret. I’m guessing it was needed for the progression of the plot.
Hhannahh
Currently Reading: The Smartest Person in the Room
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hhannahh.html
Latest Review: The Whaler's Daughter by Jerry Mikorenda

Post by Hhannahh »

Certainly, if there had been more openness, things might have played out differently. For one, Rion would be less reserved and shy.
On another hand, the non-disclosure between Rion and his mom created some suspense, which was good for this book.
I think the story turned out fine, regardless.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that the fantastical abilities that were in both Rion and his mother could be used as a metaphor for emotions. When we are not open and honest with one another especially our family we become more isolated. We also fail to deal with problems effectively which makes it more difficult for us to move on to other important matters in our lives. If Rion and his mother were more honest with one another, the story could have turned out much differently.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

Trust is the bedrock of any relationship, and in this case, a parent and child relationship. Honesty can come when trust has been established. I believe Rion and his mother lacked a great deal of trust between themselves, which lead to their lack of honesty. However, in this context, the dishonesty and secrets propelled the plot
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Mwatu »

Honesty between Rion and his mom would have made it easier for Rion to understand his gift and adapt better. I feel it would also have made their relationship much better since their powers were such a huge part of themselves.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree that his mother should have been more open with Rion. Secrets always create distrust. Rion interpreted his mother's secretiveness as a lack of love. When a person knows the truth, they can deal with it and grow. That's why the doctor tells the patient that they have a disease - so they can find the best treatment to recover. Rion would have had more confidence knowing about his past and his powers.
Chetna_Kharbanda
Currently Reading: Unsound
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chetna-123.html
Latest Review: "Are You a N****r or a Doctor?" by Otto E. Stallworth Jr. MD MBA

Post by Chetna_Kharbanda »

Little secrecy between mother and son was necessary for the flow of the plot. Had it been real life, they would have led a much peaceful life if they have clearly expressed themselves.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

I agreed with you on this. It will be a lot better if Rion had discussed his ability with his mother. Unity gives strength. Telling each other about their abilities will foster support for effectiveness.
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

I don't think it would have changed anything. Dr. Grean knew about Rion's abilities all along. The only thing that would have happened if Rion knew everything is that his life would have descended into chaos sooner. At least he had 17 years to almost lead a normal life, which is what I believe his mother was trying to do for him.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

I believe they would have definitely benefitted from more communication. However, I think the onus was on his mother to start as she was the grown-up. She perpetuated a culture of silence that shackled Rion.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I totally agree with you. If Rion and his mother had been open with each other they would have helped each other emotionally. Perhaps Rion wouldn't have felt so much like a freak and maybe, just maybe, he would have tried harder to make friends knowing he was not the only one with abilities.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

Yes! As most of the narrative revolves around the secret, it would have been a lot different if both of them were open to each other. But then it could have been an entirely different story. I like the plot as it is.

Return to “Discuss "The Fourth Kinetic" by Brady Moore”