Is the story cliched?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Re: Is the story cliched?

Post by Elon Gathungu »

The story has an interesting storyline with great twists. It definitely has some cliched moments in the romance aspect of the book. Most romance stories are cliche, there are only so many ways of writing a story of people falling in love. So, I think the book is not entirely cliche but contains some cliche moments.
Buk Nerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buk-nerd.html
Latest Review: Ribzkniks by Y M Georges

Post by Buk Nerd »

I don't think it's a cliched story. It's hard to find an original plot that does not contain a handful of cliched scenes, but that does not necessarily make the book as a whole a cliched story. I also think the author stayed true to Zia's having an anxiety disorder. It was quite clear from her actions.
"Literature is the most agreeable way of ignoring life." - Fernando Pessoa :techie-studyinggray:
Namuddu Erin
Favorite Author: Pen Patience lovely
Favorite Book: God’s Victorious Army
Currently Reading: Cracker Jacked
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 224334

Post by Namuddu Erin »

The introductory part of the story doesn't show the cliched way with Bryce going after Zia.
Baxter is not cliched. There should be normal courtship Zia's anxiety disorder, reaction of a young lady in this world.
I agree with the author, he used these cliches by turning them into suspenseful plot points and drove the story on the map.
Dustin Stopher
Currently Reading: Perk's of being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustin-stopher.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dustin Stopher »

There are definitely cliché elements to the story. You mention the elevator scene, which definitely qualifies, but there are other ones throughout the book. The setting up of a love triangle is a classic one, but there is also the trope of “falling for a billionaire” and “the love interest has a dark secret” that stood out to me. Both of these are found in Fifty Shades of Grey for example.
Rocfella
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rocfella.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Rocfella »

Romantic novels generally have cliche elements; Chameleons is no different. The elevator scene is cliche, but Zia's anxiety disorder is absolutely not a cliche. The novel has some cliche scenes, but generally it is quite creative and unique; the author did an outstanding job.
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

I found the book quite unique. Adding murders into a romance novel was a nice twist to me. Her cheating on the good guy with the bad boy was in the cliche range, but it added to the story well.
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

Amanda Dobson wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 10:12 It does seem a little cliche but as far as the overall story goes you need some cliche moments to make the story plausible. If you think about it some of the scenes real people have lived.
Yes! I’m reading this genre, so I’m expecting certain cheesy things here and there. But I loved how the whole story was crafted with a balance of all things, including the love triangle.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

This is why I usually avoid this genre. The woman is "not interested" in the guy at first, and then there's a cheery side character to add color to the character setup. The guy is typical, and I'm not a huge fan of such character. But Zia's job is not cliche, and this is why I'd like to know more about her background in the story. Her personality at the beginning of the story is VERY relatable to me. Stereotypes exists for a reason. Besides, the book can have its own twists and turns.
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
collinsogw555
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-collinsogw555.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by collinsogw555 »

I don't think the entire book was cliched, but then, the cliched part still sounds interesting. It was awesome reading this book.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

The story is appreciably cliched, with the elevator scene and the story theme. But it had it's own unique moments as well. The psychopaths role and Zia's anxiety disorder were parts that are noon-generic and unique. So, this book had cliched stuff, but it was in a limit. So, it works well.
Satwik Mohanty
Favorite Author: H.P. Lovecraft
Favorite Book: My Living Will
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-satwik-mohanty.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 6063

Post by Satwik Mohanty »

Well, it's true that the romance and the anxiety disorder Zia has is a bit overused, but the story as a whole is not exactly a cliche. It starts as a cliche but the author has been very creative with the rest of the story, especially with the character depth.
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

The romance part of the book and Zia's anxiety disorder is totally a cliche. But the book also included serial killer and murders. This was unique. Normally romance and murders are not mixed.
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

As far as love triangles go, they are cliches within themselves, so it would be quite difficult to write a book about a cliche subject without there being an element of cliche in some parts.
Zia's anxiety is quite real to me because I suffer from PTSD and can relate.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

It'll be cliched, coz at one time or the other, we must have come across a similar scenario. However, I still believe that there's still a sense of originality present in this book.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

The story, as a whole was not clichéd. But I do agree that there are definitely scenarios that fit this definition. There are parts that are commonalities in life.I don’t think the book would be interesting if they were not included.

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”