What are your opinions on this quote?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Book of the month, "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold
Mwatu
Currently Reading: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwatu.html
Latest Review: Protectors of the Black Prince by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Re: What are your opinions on this quote?

Post by Mwatu »

I see this as the sacrifices that Zia makes to fulfil her sexual desires leaving her to deal with the consequences of a few moments of passion with the wrong person.
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

Sushan wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 23:35 Epigraph 1 of the book says,
Flesh demands sacrifice for its existence.
(Location 43 Kindle version)

I see this as a reference to various sacrifices you have to offer when you choose to go after forbidden flesh. What is the relevance of this quote to Zia's story? Did she have to make a sacrifice or was she, her body and soul, was the sacrifice in fulfilling her desires?
I think that sometimes our desires can only be fulfilled after sacrificing something, not necessarily something material or physical but rather a part of ourselves that needs to be sacrifice in order to obtain what we want. Perhaps Zia lost herself in fulfilling her desires.
ReaderAisha2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeraisha2020.html
Latest Review: Your Adventurous Life Awaits by Maryann Remsberg and Brian Remsberg

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

Maybe the quote means that something has to be done or carried put to satisfy ones desires.

However, I don't really agree that this is for all people. However, it probably fots in well with the plot of the story
El_limitless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-limitless.html
Latest Review: Public Hostage Public Ransom by William Bronston MD

Post by El_limitless »

Zia's body was the sacrifice she made to fulfil her sexual urges. She gave her body to the wrong people while still risking her relationship in the process.
Lomyders
Currently Reading: Multiple streams of internet income
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lomyders.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Lomyders »

This quote reveals that sacrifices must be made in order to fulfill fleshly desires. In Zia's case, the sacrifices she made were not commensurate with the fleshly fulfillment she got. For fleshly gratification, she went too far with the sacrifices.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

The body needs food which a person will need to grow or buy to obtain it. Additionally, bodily desires bring conflicts with others. In almost all the animal kingdoms, the mating season brings carnage and death. This is equally so with humans. Therefore, I would say the author is spot on because there is a risk to be taken and an effort to be made to fulfil bodily desires as well as to nourish the body.
peace_m
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peace-m.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by peace_m »

"Flesh demand sacrifices for its existence," To me, I believe what the author was trying to teach the readers is that our body which is the flesh have desires and urges which wont stop until we yield to it or overcome it. Case study is Zia from the book.
Praise George-kayode
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-george-kayode.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by Praise George-kayode »

Brandy_Nyongesa wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 11:12 I believe the word flesh has been used to mean body desires. In Zia's context, she goes through a lot of risks just to fulfil her desires. She even takes a risk of being a love triangle just to attain sex. For one to satisfy the flesh, one has to get out of their comfort zone.
This is a deep quote, that can be interpreted in so many ways. "FLESH DEMANDS SARCRIFICE"
I agree with this too, because we all have a flesh, soul and spirit and not necessary the 3 have to agree. The flesh most times wants something out of our zone, but then to please the flesh, a sacrifice is made. Either good or bad.
kirthana_shivakumar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirthana-shivakumar.html
Latest Review: Depiction of women characters as Victims of Oppresion and Agents of action in selected short stories by Rushika Gill

Post by kirthana_shivakumar »

I think this speaks about how every human alive goes through many bad experiences throughout the course of their life. So, the implication that being alive or existing demands sacrifice seems quite accurate to me. The quote itself could sound extreme or pessimistic but I think it's quite true.
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

The very existence of flesh necessitates sacrifice. I believe the quotation alone carries a great deal of weight. From Zia's perspective, she put her relationship with Bryce at risk as well as the chance of catching sicknesses in order to satisfy her sexual fetishism. While on the spiritual side, whether good or negative, people make sacrifices to ensure their survival.
Luchris_michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchris-michael.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by Luchris_michael »

I believe that the quote has a context. The flesh in this quote signifies our desires. Sacrifice is needed for the existence of flesh. We need to make certain decisions that would help in satisfying ourselves.
Jack Watson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-watson.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Jack Watson »

Assuming flesh means bodily desires, I think the quote is spot on. In Zia's case giving not her carnal desires cost her and the people around her. Her relationship with Bryce was disrupted because of her indulgence with another man. Love triangles generally leave one or more people hurt.
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I think the author reminds the readers that everything you do, there will be a consequence that you need to face. For instance, Zia to reach his love will do everything even mixed in a love triangle.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Sushan wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 23:35 Epigraph 1 of the book says,
Flesh demands sacrifice for its existence.
(Location 43 Kindle version)

I see this as a reference to various sacrifices you have to offer when you choose to go after forbidden flesh. What is the relevance of this quote to Zia's story? Did she have to make a sacrifice or was she, her body and soul, was the sacrifice in fulfilling her desires?
In my opinion, it's true. Flesh demand sacrifice for its existence, for a forbidden act to be committed, actions must take place, and you have to lose something to get it, it could either be time, peace of mind, or just anything valuable to you.

So Yeah. This statement stands true for me.
Fajarr
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fajarr.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Fajarr »

In Zias context i think it refers to the fact that she gives into her body's sexual desires which leaves her with a hefty price to pay for getting caught up in a few moments of ppassion with the wrong person.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Discuss "Chameleons" by Onyx Gold”