Review by NuelUkah -- Dibs and Dabs of my Life

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Review by NuelUkah -- Dibs and Dabs of my Life

Post by NuelUkah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Dibs and Dabs of my Life" by Gertrude Coulter.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gertrude Ellen Shapard and her twin brother, James Edward Shapard were born on March 15, 1927, at Baptist Memorial Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee. Gertrude and Jim loved their grandparents so much, likewise their parents. At the age of six, Gertrude begged her mum to teach her crocheting. Mama was adamant, but later taught her daughter. And at the age of eight, Gertrude became a good crocheter. I found it weird that her grandmother, Mamie Plumlee, had to quit teaching to get married because as at that time, schoolteachers were not allowed to be married.

Gertrude later got married to her boyfriend, Thurman Coulter, and had four kids: Jimmy, Wayne, Carolyn, and David. Quite a pity her marriage didn't last long. She said,
Eventually, Thurman began to seek female friends outside of our marriage. He also became irritable with me and the children. I will not go into details, but this led to very touchy and physical situations. I came from a loving home, where parents did not mistreat their children or spouses, and I could not and would not get used to this behavior, nor would I subject my children to it.
In January 1958, she divorced Thurman.

In Dibs and Dabs of my Life, Gertrude Coulter highlights the simple way of life in the good old days when anyone could walk around the block after dark without feeling afraid; most children lived in two-parent homes; children walked to neighborhood schools; life was family-oriented; and mothers were stay-at-home moms.

Jessie May Bridgeforth was their maid for several years—from the time Gertrude was about three years old until she was about ten or eleven years old. They loved Jessie because she was sincere and loving. I laughed when Gertrude tried making pancakes for Jessie to travel with to Detroit, but the pancakes didn't come out good. Good thing she reread the recipe and found out what she missed. Gertrude and James mimicking Mae and Mr. Henley were funny scenes as I imagined them.

Things were much cheaper then. As the author said,
Bread cost five cents a loaf, eggs were twelve cents a dozen, and we could buy a week’s supply of groceries for five dollars. That would feed our family of five as well as the beggars who came to our door.
It was quite a pity how Grandma Gertrude lost her immediate family members mysteriously. Her dad died of heart attack. Her twin, Jim, died of heart attack. Her mum suffered broken hips, ruptured appendix, broken arm, and eventually died. Her son, Wayne, died of cancer. I felt hurt as she kept losing her close ones, even her best friend.

The book was quite engaging. Her writing style was very descriptive and expository. And the pace was well developed. However, the book was not proofread carefully. I noticed several errors such as missing punctuations, wrong spellings, and wrong words. These do not diminish the impact of the book on the reader. I must commend the author for her detailed memoir of her eighty years of life on earth. Hence, I rate Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of memoirs.

Dibs and Dabs of my Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NuelUkah's review? Post a comment saying so!
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Sounds like a sweet, simple and heartwarming book. The author sounds like an opinionated, grounded woman and nostalgic by nature. This was a great review, thank you!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

The rating shows how good the book is. Thanks for a great review.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Gertrude later got married to her boyfriend, Thurman Coulter, and had four kids: Jimmy, Wayne, Carolyn, and David. Quite a pity her marriage didn't last long. She said,
Eventually, Thurman began to seek female friends outside of our marriage. He also became irritable with me and the children. I will not go into details, but this led to very touchy and physical situations. I came from a loving home, where parents did not mistreat their children or spouses, and I could not and would not get used to this behavior, nor would I subject my children to it.
In January 1958, she divorced Thurman.
Filing for a divorce in the 1950s was not an easy feat or such a common thing to do as nowadays, so I think Gertrude must be a strong and interesting woman. I'll be glad to read about her life and much simpler times. It seems like an uplifting book, thanks!
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

This is one of the books that has a very simple objective yet interestingly delivered. Nice review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I love Getrude already, from your review! To decide to divorce when the norm was for children to be in 2-parent homes must have kinda stigmatized her. She was a strong woman, though I feel her grief, losing close family members. Thanks for the great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

In Dibs and Dabs of my Life, Gertrude Coulter highlights the simple way of life in the good old days when anyone could walk around the block after dark without feeling afraid; most children lived in two-parent homes; children walked to neighborhood schools; life was family-oriented; and mothers were stay-at-home moms.
Now, I am really feeling my age. I've seen that same kind of life she had. Thus, I couldn't help but wish that our future generations, not just those in first world countries, could have the best possibilities as well. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”