Official Review: Blue Sky Lightning by Jeff Kuhn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: Common Sense and Reasonable Answers by Warren William Luce

Official Review: Blue Sky Lightning by Jeff Kuhn

Post by prospero360 » 28 Feb 2019, 17:14

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blue Sky Lightning" by Jeff Kuhn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blue Sky Lightning: How To Survive And Thrive When Life Blindsides You, by Jeff Kuhn, is a true motivational story that details the author's near-death experiences. The author uses the title, Blue Sky Lightning, as a metaphor to describe the events surrounding his struggles with an over eighty percent body surface burn and a rare neuromuscular disorder. Jeff shares his story of how hope, putting up a fight, and love in unexpected places helped him overcome death. He also shares different lessons he learned on the road to recovery. He hopes that sharing his story will inspire victims of physical and mental trauma to fight their battles, make it through, and share their stories to inspire others, as he has done in this book.

Picking up this book, I could tell that it would be an emotional read for me, as I know a few people that have suffered some form of trauma and some that didn't survive it. Telling his story in chronological order, the author begins by giving the reader two important lessons he has learned. The first lesson is that "you are not alone." The second lesson is that "you have the strength to make it through." While it's easy for one to say these things without understanding how difficult it can be to believe them when you're in the position of a trauma victim, the author does well to help the reader feel how difficult it was for him on his road to recovery.

I feel like the way he described his emotions in this story is one of the most important features of the book, and this makes the book very relatable and will help drive home his lessons, especially the first lesson. The author also talked about the first step to going into depression and accepting defeat, which is asking the question "Why me?" Jeff is under no illusions, though, and he accepts that there are some conditions that ultimately lead to death, but he maintains that when there is even a one percent chance of survival, one must think of it like a hundred percent chance and fight with everything they've got.

Having written an article about his survival before this book, the author also explores the reason he didn't include God's role on his road to recovery, especially considering that he is a Christian. He also talks about compartmentalization as a key tool in the recovery process, and he recommends that the process should be simplified and one should reward themselves for small victories in the process. Another part of the book I enjoyed was the author's relationship with his dog, Sparky. Sparky's love and loyalty was another source of strength Jeff explored in this book.

Furthermore, I also found Blue Sky Lightning educative on different degrees of burns and some of the treatment procedures for burn patients, like debriding. The author also includes his contact information for people that want to reach him to share their stories when they are ready. Blue Sky Lightning is well edited. I found a few errors in the book, but none of them affected my reading in any way. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, as there was nothing I disliked about the book. I would recommend this book to people that have suffered different forms of physical and mental trauma. People that love to read inspirational stories will absolutely love this book.

Blue Sky Lightning
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jessacardinal » 03 Mar 2019, 08:13

Our thoughts are so powerful and important. The author has provided an inspiring and uplifting message in his book. I can't help but be reminded of wounded service members who benefit from the company of emotional support dogs. I have no doubt wounded warriors and others suffering from PTSD could relate to and benefit from having access to this book at places such as VA hospitals.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shielasshi-93.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Shielasshi_93 » 04 Mar 2019, 05:49

I think this a very inspiring book specially for those who are facing the same trials as what the author experienced.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Post by kandscreeley » 04 Mar 2019, 11:08

Now this sounds like one I should read! Over 80% burns? I can't imagine. It sounds quite inspirational. Thanks so much.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Jojie1966
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jojie1966 » 05 Mar 2019, 19:16

The word for it is determination...so focused and determined that no matter what happens he will fight.

chiefsimplex
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by chiefsimplex » 21 Mar 2019, 05:45

A really inspirational read .I think the authors experiences can help a lot of people who have met with similar misfortune ,to keep up the struggle.I believe the real disaster of men is what hits us when we do not have the most critical resource -hope.Thanks for sharing.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”