Official Review: I Think My Dad Was Born in a Barn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Cecilia_L
Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Of Unsound Mind by Jennifer Cullen

Official Review: I Think My Dad Was Born in a Barn

Post by Cecilia_L » 27 Feb 2019, 07:45

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Think My Dad Was Born in a Barn" by Tony E. Windsor, as compiled by Aaron Windsor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"I am certainly prone to nostalgia and find reminiscing to be a welcome relief to the challenges of my daily life. I realize that when I think back to the days of my youth the sun seemed to shine brighter, the grass was greener, the breeze was so much cooler in the summer and the house was toasty warm during the bitter winter." Tony E. Windsor

I Think My Dad Was Born in a Barn by Tony E. Windsor, as compiled by Aaron Windsor, is a humorous collection of memories based on newspaper columns. Although Aaron wasn't particularly interested in his father's columns when he was younger, he has since come to appreciate the humor and insight offered by his father's trips down memory lane.

In the foreword written by Aaron, he relates trying to persuade his father to write a book featuring his newspaper columns. Tony replied, "That would certainly be egotistical, now wouldn't it?" When Aaron realized his father wasn't going to budge, he compiled the columns himself. The result is 282 pages of heartwarming tales complemented by occasional family photographs. The featured columns fill chapters with reflections on humble beginnings, a childhood spent primarily outdoors, and humorous poetic idioms spoken by the adults in his life. Other highlights include Tony's love and admiration for his grandmother, his lifelong nostalgia for the home he grew up in, and snippets from his mother's diary when she was dating his father. He also conveys his respect for his father, Tom. As a former state trooper, Crisfield Chief of Police, and Somerset County Sheriff, Tony compares his father to the popular Gunsmoke character, Matt Dillon. "Everything that I have accomplished today and whatever I am that is good in a man, I owe to my father."

I found this nostalgic collection to be a breath of fresh air. I most liked Windsor's gift for storytelling. As I read his memories of growing up during simpler times, I could practically hear the narrator's voice from The Wonder Years. I can't remember the last time I laughed so much while reading a book. My favorite story involving a portable record player had me in stitches. In another instance, Windsor described the unorthodox moving methods of his father and uncles. "I think I recall heading down the highway with the stove in the back of the truck with biscuits still baking in the oven and a bed with my brother still sleeping in it." Windsor's recollections of "spider monkey" antics climbing a less-than-sturdy staircase banister with his brothers, musings on the necessity of an outhouse until their family got indoor plumbing, and speculations about Miss Addie's "two-seater" kept the laughter coming. It was professionally edited, and I can't think of a thing I disliked about the book.

Additionally, Windsor responded to readers who may object to his casual depictions of the "whoopings" and "beatings" that were a normal part of his childhood. "I guess there are some who feel we were 'abused.' I disagree. No, it was not child abuse, it was discipline, and I cannot recall any time that I got it that I had not needed it for several weeks." As someone who was also spanked with a belt in the late 60s, I can relate. However, while there was a different mindset then, I disciplined my own children differently.

Overall, I am pleased to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars for its humor and entertaining stroll down memory lane. I recommend it to readers who enjoy nostalgic reads. It will appeal to fans of The Wonder Years and A Christmas Story. Aaron suggests a recommended audience of 35 and older, and I agree; many of the nostalgic references may be lost on younger readers. Also, those who may be triggered by Windsor's depictions of discipline may prefer to pass on this one.

I Think My Dad Was Born in a Barn
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!

ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 21
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Wasn't There
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Moon Dark by Patricia Barletta
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 28 Feb 2019, 20:56

What a great labour of love to put together all the different writings. It's so important to preserve them for posterity. Apparently now that so much is in electronic form, it might be lost to future generations, which is quite a thought.

Cecilia_L
Member of the Month
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 28 Feb 2019, 21:53

ButterscotchCherrie wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 20:56
What a great labour of love to put together all the different writings. It's so important to preserve them for posterity. Apparently now that so much is in electronic form, it might be lost to future generations, which is quite a thought.
That's so true. Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

Morgan Jones
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: The Dark Beginning by RaJean Anderson

Post by Morgan Jones » 01 Mar 2019, 04:09

I absolutely LOVE when an author shares pieces of themselves in a book. These are always the most genuine and heart-warming stories. I can't wait to check this one out. I really enjoyed reading this review, your writing is very unique and I loved how you could relate the story to some of your life experiences. Thank you for sharing this.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Post by kandscreeley » 01 Mar 2019, 08:33

I'm sad to say that I'm within the age range on this one. The thought of him compiling his father's newspaper columns is heartwarming. Still, it doesn't really appeal to me. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though. It sounds inspiring.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Cecilia_L
Member of the Month
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 01 Mar 2019, 08:38

Morgan Jones wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 04:09
I absolutely LOVE when an author shares pieces of themselves in a book. These are always the most genuine and heart-warming stories. I can't wait to check this one out. I really enjoyed reading this review, your writing is very unique and I loved how you could relate the story to some of your life experiences. Thank you for sharing this.
Thanks for your kind comments, Morgan.

Cecilia_L
Member of the Month
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 01 Mar 2019, 11:38

kandscreeley wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 08:33
I'm sad to say that I'm within the age range on this one. The thought of him compiling his father's newspaper columns is heartwarming. Still, it doesn't really appeal to me. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though. It sounds inspiring.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

booklearning65+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by booklearning65+ » 01 Mar 2019, 13:24

Love nostalgia and history stories. This was great. :techie-reference:

Bianka Walter
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Bookshelf Size: 337
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: And We Never Met A Nazi by Rose Tuchmann, Oscar Bing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 02 Mar 2019, 04:12

We got 'hidings' when we were younger. I got more than my sister, but my parents handed them out, nonetheless! So I can relate to this aspect very easily :)
This is a wonderful review - thanks, Cecilia!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Cecilia_L
Member of the Month
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 02 Mar 2019, 06:47

booklearning65+ wrote:
01 Mar 2019, 13:24
Love nostalgia and history stories. This was great. :techie-reference:
Thank you.

Cecilia_L
Member of the Month
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 02 Mar 2019, 06:50

Bianka Walter wrote:
02 Mar 2019, 04:12
We got 'hidings' when we were younger. I got more than my sister, but my parents handed them out, nonetheless! So I can relate to this aspect very easily :)
This is a wonderful review - thanks, Cecilia!
Thanks for your comment, Bianka. It's interesting to hear from someone else who can relate to this aspect.

Eva Darrington
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: My Rabbit in the Moon by Mandy Mazure

Post by Eva Darrington » 03 Mar 2019, 19:39

What a beautiful thing this man did for himself and his father. Sometimes we don't figure out how to honor influential people until it is too late. A beautiful review for a beautiful book!
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

Cecilia_L
Member of the Month
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 04 Mar 2019, 14:29

Eva Darrington wrote:
03 Mar 2019, 19:39
What a beautiful thing this man did for himself and his father. Sometimes we don't figure out how to honor influential people until it is too late. A beautiful review for a beautiful book!
I agree. Thanks for your comment, Eva!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”