Official Review: A Playboy Bunny and UCLA

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 496
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: A Playboy Bunny and UCLA by Vikki Richardson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Official Review: A Playboy Bunny and UCLA

Post by CatInTheHat » 26 Feb 2019, 16:32

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Playboy Bunny and UCLA" by Vikki Richardson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In A Playboy Bunny and UCLA, Vikki Richardson will rid you of any preconceived notions you might have about Playboy Bunnies. Richardson opens up her memoir by sharing that, “This book is about a baby girl who grew up facing many scary monsters and won.” Her memoir sheds light on her life before becoming a Bunny, as a Bunny, and her life afterward.

Richardson shares her life through stories. She spent her early childhood in poverty, part of which was in a home without running water or walls that kept the snow out. She suffered from many kinds of abuse at the hands of various people. Her musings about what it takes to be a Playboy Bunny, her unique application and the intensive training involved, and her divorce, as well as why she wanted to be a Bunny, are inspiring. Her life after being a Bunny is full of many transitions and dreams, with many interesting jobs and experiences. Throughout her life, the men in her life, both husbands and boyfriends, help her to grow as a person. For example, El Jabber and Richardson did some particularly interesting things in the intellectual realm (read the book to find out what!). Readers will learn a bit about her involvement in an NYC theater that expressed the Civil Rights Movement through acting. Eventually, life takes her back to California and UCLA. The time spent at UCLA helps Richardson realize her destiny.

Friendship is an overriding theme in Richardson’s life. Wherever she went, Richardson always seemed to be able to make friends quickly. Her closet bonds were so strong that even distance didn’t destroy them. This was especially true with a few of the other Bunnies that she met early on. They were each other’s family long past the time they were Bunnies and starting to make their way in the world.

Richardson writes in the first person, using her own vernacular, talking voice. She is an amazing storyteller. Her exuberance for life shines through many of her experiences. The descriptive imagery is remarkable. When describing what she had to do to help with hog killings, she states, “We squeezed all of the excrement out of the guts, and it plopped on the ground as if the pig pooped.” My favorite part of the story is how she makes connections with her current life and the past. For example, riding in a luxury limo is compared to the mule-drawn wagon of her childhood.

She often compares what is going on in the Civil Rights Movement with what is going on in her own life as a young black woman. For example, Freedom Riders were at their peak, fighting for their rights, while she experienced an equality climate as a Chocolate Bunny. Bunnies and other Playboy employees came from many ethnic and racial backgrounds, working together despite the climate in the country.

Before reading this memoir, I had some misconceptions on what it means to be a Playboy Bunny. I thought they were just sexy decorations for wealthy men. One couldn’t be a Bunny if they weren’t a hard worker, but there were many perks. Perks included special trips where they were treated like queens, like a big-wig’s houseboat, or simply hanging out at the Playboy Mansion during their time off.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. A Playboy Bunny and UCLA is an engaging story of hopes and dreams. With every transition, I was rallying for Richardson. There isn’t anything to dislike in this memoir. It is well-edited and worthy of a high rating. This story would appeal to those who like inspiring real-life stories, seek hope for their own future, or just like learning about lives that are different from their own.

A Playboy Bunny and UCLA
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CatInTheHat's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

sonya01
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya01.html
Latest Review: The Reluctant Duke of Kingsford by Earnie W. Rowell

Post by sonya01 » 10 May 2019, 02:44

The story of the pig poop had me chuckling to myself. Sometimes it’s nice to read an informal account of things without the language being too ‘dressy’. You make this sound like a charming and entertaining account of life as a Playboy bunny and I’m sure many will enjoy this one. Thank you.

DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by DogoMulla » 10 May 2019, 04:40

Memoirs are quite interesting. This one seems much more interesting. It seems you truly enjoyed reading this one like I enjoyed Beneath the Muscle. It already screams MUST READ! Your review is superb - to say the least.

Rachel Lea
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Rachel Lea » 10 May 2019, 07:07

I enjoy reading first-hand accounts about lives that are very different from my own, as I always feel that I can learn something new from the experiences these people have gone through. In Richardson's book, she reveals an entirely new side to a career that many people have misconceptions about. Great review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Descent of the Phoenix by Morgan Paul Cooper

Post by kandscreeley » 10 May 2019, 11:27

It sounds like the author had quite an interesting life. I guess I have some misconceptions about Playboy Bunnies as well. What kind of training do they have to go through? Thanks for a great review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Reflection by Titan Frey

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 10 May 2019, 12:16

This book looks very entertaining. I like how the author has used her own voice to narrate the book. This sounds like a rags to riches type of book! Great review!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Three Graves by Zack Kaplan

Post by Prisallen » 10 May 2019, 12:40

I also like reading about other people's lives that are very different from my own. I had misconceptions about Playboy Bunnies, myself. This book sounds like it would be an interesting read. Thanks for the wonderful review!

Nisha Ward
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: The Three Witches and the Three Headed Dagger by Henry Regnault
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 10 May 2019, 12:45

There tends to be a lot of misconception about the type of women to participate in this kind of job. That Ms. Richardson put this out and clears up a lot of that through the story of her life is commendable and it sounds absolutely fascinating to read about.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Fazzier
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 17
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fazzier » 10 May 2019, 16:13

This memoir seems to be an intriguing read. I particularly like the fact that the author is still outgoing despite having come from a humble background. Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

Quickstudy
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quickstudy.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Quickstudy » 11 May 2019, 00:59

This book is easy to judge it by the cover. However, within in the pages of the book is a amazing story. One of struggle, friendship, and success. I found your review detailed and informative.

Great review.

brown09
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brown09.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by brown09 » 11 May 2019, 22:12

Friendship is an overriding theme in Richardson’s life. Wherever she went, Richardson always seemed to be able to make friends quickly. Her closet bonds were so strong that even distance didn’t destroy them. This was especially true with a few of the other Bunnies that she met early on. They were each other’s family long past the time they were Bunnies and starting to make their way in the world.
Ms. Richardson sounds like an amiable person, which would make sense. Amiability is a huge factor in the whole PlayBoy Bunny appearance, as well as physical beauty and mental acuity.

I've always wondered how the social dynamic of the PlayBoy Bunnies worked, and now I can find out through this book!

raniya23ahmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raniya23ahmed.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by raniya23ahmed » 13 May 2019, 11:42

This book sounds very interesting. I love reading books that can change your mind about things, and this book seems to do just that. Thank you for the amazing review.

Shielasshi_93
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shielasshi-93.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Shielasshi_93 » 16 May 2019, 19:59

The author seems like a fun person to be with, I'm glad she write this book to erase the common conotation about her past occupation.

CatInTheHat
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 496
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catinthehat.html
Latest Review: A Playboy Bunny and UCLA by Vikki Richardson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by CatInTheHat » 18 May 2019, 20:48

kandscreeley wrote:
10 May 2019, 11:27
It sounds like the author had quite an interesting life. I guess I have some misconceptions about Playboy Bunnies as well. What kind of training do they have to go through? Thanks for a great review.
As far as training goes, it is in-depth. Think "finishing school" types things, such as being an excellent hostess, conversationalist, etc. They are expected to carry on educated conversations. They are also trained to serve in their clubs as well and must do so with extreme perfection. There is quite a bit more to it...
Life without a good book is something the CatInTheHat cannot imagine.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”