Official Review: Lean culture for the construction industry

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: WINDFALL Tax Savings APPROVED for Small-Business Owners by Dr. Ronald Mueller, MBA, Ph.D.

Official Review: Lean culture for the construction industry

Post by prospero360 » 26 Feb 2019, 09:01

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lean culture for the construction industry" by Gary Santorella.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Lean" can be defined as the process of eliminating waste. There are many sources of waste in companies that the management is not aware of, and if they are left unchecked, they could result in a lot of financial loss. A lot of executives focus on reducing labor instead of waste, in a bid to try to reduce the way their company loses money, but this doesn't leave room for expansion of workforce and profit growth. There are a lot of companies that have adopted a lean culture in recent times, but failure to properly adhere to lean principles has resulted in a lack of progress in eliminating waste. In Lean Culture for the Construction Industry: Building Responsible and Committed Project Teams, Gary Santorella, an expert in lean implementation, team building, and strategic planning, aims to guide construction companies on the proper way to implement lean culture to eliminate waste and increase profits.

The author thoroughly touches on a wide range of lean principles, like waste identification, lean tools, like value stream mapping (VSM), standard work, and the Kaizen event, and most importantly, various forms of interpersonal waste and how to tackle them. The author considers interpersonal waste as the pillar to lean culture. Interpersonal waste includes work stoppages that occur as a result of any issues between workers, like finger-pointing, an unclear sense of purpose, and misplaced value, and failure to tackle interpersonal waste properly is the reason most companies fail when adopting a lean culture.

The first thing I liked about Lean Culture for the Construction Industry was how easy it was to follow what the author was saying from the first chapter. While I have an interest in construction, I am not too familiar with a lot of terms used in the construction industry. However, there was hardly ever a disconnect between myself and the author's message, as all unfamiliar terms were explained. There were times when I preferred the use of more familiar words or phrases, like when the author used idiosyncratic, ad nauseam, and anathema. It also helped that abbreviations, like VSM (value stream mapping), FSM (future state map), CSM (current state map), RFI (request for information), and PPD (personal protection device) were all explained.

Furthermore, I don't think that I have read any book as thorough on a subject as this book is on lean culture. The author extensively touched virtually every problem I could think of. Using numerous examples of problems in different companies based on the experience he has garnered over the years, Gary ensures that this book will relate to any form of problems experienced in the construction industry. At times, the book felt like an interactive session, as the author followed each example with questions about what went wrong, how to tackle the issue at hand, and even going further to discuss ways of preventing further occurrences. Gary also spiced things up using interesting analogies at different points of the book. I found it interesting when he used lovemaking as an example to show the importance of the human element to the construction process. He also used New England's 2004 Super Bowl win to illustrate the importance of clearly defined roles and responsibilities.

One thought-provoking part of the book was where the author explored different philosophers' opinions on ethics. He explored Socrates and C.S Lewis' views on modeling leadership on trust and Guicciardini's opinion of using fear because of how insidious and cunning men can be. While the author shared his views and gave good reasons on which leadership model he felt was better, I can understand why one may still opt for the model the author doesn't recommend. The book also tends to get repetitive about certain things, especially on defining roles and responsibilities clearly, trying to understand things from other people's points of view, and tackling interpersonal waste. While I appreciate this attribute of the book, as it gave me a constant reminder of some things I might have forgotten through the text, it might not appeal to some people.

Lean Culture for the Construction Industry is exceptionally well edited. I didn't find a single grammatical or typographical error throughout the book. The book is also well organized. There was nothing I disliked about the book. For that reason, I will proceed to give Lean Culture for the Construction Industry a maximum rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to leaders in construction industries, including project executives, project superintendents, and project managers. Generally, workers in the construction industry will learn a lot from this book. People that are not into construction but want to learn about eliminating waste in a company to increase profits also stand to benefit a lot from this book as well.

Lean culture for the construction industry
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!

Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Amanda Deck » 03 Mar 2019, 11:27

Your review made me want to read this book even though I have zero need for it. Seriously, I started running through my head the names of all the people I thought that might be able to use it. Then I started considering what business I might want to start that could use these practices!
I do like the way the author has taken a new business culture idea that may be being dismissed when people can't make it work, and showing what the common problems are and how to fix them. Perseverance and adaptation may be the key that saves it, and it sounds like it may be a very good idea to try.

jnbgmr
Currently Reading: Blue Sky Lightning
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jnbgmr » 03 Mar 2019, 11:40

I do like the way the author has taken a new business culture idea.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Vigilatus by Brenda Heller and Jimmy Adams

Post by kandscreeley » 04 Mar 2019, 11:01

This book is too business oriented for me to enjoy. However, I do appreciate what the author is saying. I think companies should be focused on reducing waste to save money instead of reducing the work force. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Crooks Kill, Cops Lie by Timothy C. Richards
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 04 Mar 2019, 19:02

As a builder, and a professional in the construction industry, I think I'll find this book interesting to read.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shielasshi-93.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Shielasshi_93 » 12 Apr 2019, 21:05

I am very interested in construction since I like to watch lifestyle programs so I think this book will be another good source of knowledge. I like what you said that the author managed to make this book easy to follow despite your lack of knowledge in terminologies. This is a thorough review. Thanks for sharing your winderful opinion about this book.

Lizzete2_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lizzete2_ » 12 Apr 2019, 21:19

The book was not eye catching, it needed a hook, something to catch the readers attention.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”