Featured Official Review: The Bible says Saviors -- Obadiah 1:21 [by the author of the May Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Re: Official Review: The Bible says Saviors -- Obadiah 1:21

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I admire the author's commitment to critically examining the Bible like you would other historical texts.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 23:04 I admire the author's commitment to critically examining the Bible like you would other historical texts.
Thank you so much for stopping in and sharing a comment.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Interesting review and even more interesting book. I enjoy seeing what "evidence" that people have discovered, sometimes just to cross reference with basic beliefs and other "evidence" that researchers have found. Strong in my faith I still enjoy reading others work.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
jlrinc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlrinc.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jlrinc »

Im a big fan of Erhmans but Eisenman is really sketchy as a scholar. For instance his bokk about James the lords brpther doesnt contain a single reference to a contemporary biblical scholar and makes a lot of unsubstantiated claims he bases on his intuition rather than evidence. Most mainstream biblical scholars avoid
Him. This and what Ive read in the other book review make me pretty sceptical about his research methodology. This is exactly what a good book review is supposed to do so well done. A very informative review and well written even if it lets me know its probably noty cup of tea.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

This sounds right up my alley. Connecting historical context to any religion is always very fascinating. In order to completely understand the teachings, it is very important to know where the world was when it was written. A lot of cultural and societal issues play key roles in every religious book, issues that may not be as relevant by today's standards, so it's easy to misunderstand or confuse subjects that were thought of very differently hundreds or thousands of years ago. It's very interesting to read something that takes a look at that context and reapplies a modern take to issues formerly held as closed, especially ideas that might have had reason to be suppressed at earlier times in history.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

I'm not sure this one is for me as well. I'm open to reading about other religions but I'm not ready for an in-depth study that interprets Christian text into mysticism. The books sounds interesting though and nice review.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Ayanfe4luv
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayanfe4luv.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ayanfe4luv »

EvaDar wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 10:57
kandscreeley wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 08:46 Robert Wahler has another book that's been reviewed on here - Misreading of Judas. From what I've read, it doesn't seem like he and I would agree about many things; therefore, I think I'm going to skip this one. To each his own, I guess, but this isn't for me. Thanks.
Yes, Wahler's work is edgy and challenges many people's long-held belief systems. I read Misreading Judas as well. I find his research really interesting, but it's not for everyone. Thanks for stopping by, though.

I have my reservations though... Kindly share objectively some issues he raised. I am interested.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”