Official Review: Bloom Where Planted

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Bloom Where Planted by Winifred Grace and Ava McCarthy

Official Review: Bloom Where Planted

Post by teacherjh » 21 Feb 2019, 19:01

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bloom Where Planted" by Winifred Grace and Ava McCarthy.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Real change must come from first recognizing that there is, in fact, a problem; then, through planning and hard work, through fortitude and tenacity, through resilience and sheer will, change happens. It comes from pushing through the hard lessons and constantly reaching for a better life.” Ava McCarthy

Bloom Where Planted by Winifred Grace and Ava McCarthy is a true story of change. It is the story of an abused child who is lost in the system of foster care and the judicial system. She spends her first eighteen years fighting the world and destroying herself. Then she slowly decides to put the pieces back together and create a better life. It is story of tragedy and of hope.

The story is told by Winifred Grace, the mother of Ava’s girlfriend. She admits that she judged Ava negatively when she first met her. She did not want her daughter dating a tattooed pole-dancer. It is a testament to the power of Ava’s story that it changed Winifred as well. They hope to help others start seeing people from the inside instead of judging by externals. Ava also hopes her story will help other victims of abuse to have hope and know that they are not alone.

Ava came from generations of abuse. It was a dark thread throughout her family. Her mom was a lost soul who didn’t know how to protect or parent her children. She lost custody of Ava several times. Physical and sexual abuse, along with drug use, play prominent roles in Ava’s childhood and teen years. All of these things left lasting psychological scars on the young girl. Ava learned to lie, steal, and fight to survive. She even pretended to commit suicide and staged the event to get attention from her mom. Ava spent years in foster care, psychiatric facilities, and group homes. Her anger and violence eventually landed her in a lock-up facility. When released, Ava turned to striptease dancing to earn a living. Ava’s life changes were not instantaneous. She spent years in counseling learning to face her own brokenness and finding a path to peace. Eventually she was able to find a new career, get custody of her own daughter, and build a stable relationship with someone she loves. She broke the cycle, and built a new life.

I was deeply touched by this story. Ava makes no attempt to cover up anything including her own faults and mistakes. It is a raw look at a tragic life. There are times with the story seemed a little factual and lacking emotions, but this can be attributed to the need to remove herself from the memories. Unlike so many victims of abuse, Ava sees the balance between things that happened to her and the choices she made that made things worse. I am impressed with her brutal honesty which is such a key component to true healing.

Ava has a strong belief in God, and this is a key piece of her story, but it is not preachy or overbearing at all. She was also blessed with a few people in her life that treated her with compassion and respect. Reading about these people who saw past all her pain and anger to the person inside was inspiring. I also enjoyed the portions of the book that Ava wrote herself. There was a poem about tattoos that explains how the needles were a release from her own hidden pain.

The only part of the book I did not enjoy was a lengthy section detailing a series of failed relationships. I think the authors wanted to include all possible relevant details, but I would have preferred a shortened list of only the most impactful relationships.

Despite this one small criticism, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is well written with very few editing errors. The story is heart-wrenching and inspiring at the same time. Readers need to know that there are strong language and explicit topics such as rape and physical abuse as well as extensive drug use. Anyone triggered by such topics should not read this book. However, anyone looking for a truth-filled, inspiring story that will encourage you to be more accepting of others will not be disappointed.

Bloom Where Planted
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like teacherjh's review? Post a comment saying so!

labibliofile
2019 Reading Goal: 52
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by labibliofile » 24 Feb 2019, 02:48

The book sounds very intense and I especially like how Winifred's prejudice towards Ava changed! Sounds interesting!

Thank you for the recommendation!
"Growth is the essence of life."

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 24 Feb 2019, 04:53

Sounds like a great book, although not one that I would read. Great review!

eunice nihita
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by eunice nihita » 24 Feb 2019, 10:09

this book seems incredible and really an encouragement and based in real life situations

Kibetious
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Life Experience of a Self-respecting Black Man
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Kibetious » 24 Feb 2019, 11:36

Thanks for this enthralling and very balanced review. Nice to read that Ava never gave up and that she has been able to build a new life. It is so great of her to become vulnerable to the point of revealing everything in her life. I would love to read this book.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Lexii_kiitty

Post by Lexii_kiitty » 24 Feb 2019, 18:49

Not bad. I think it’s great that you don’t hide the violence of the real world!

Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shielasshi-93.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Shielasshi_93 » 24 Feb 2019, 20:54

This book is an inspiration to people who go through the same ordeals as Ava.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: TimeWorm by Brenda Heller

Post by kandscreeley » 25 Feb 2019, 08:21

I can only imagine what Ava has been through, but I love that she overcomes. It's interesting that she even changes those around her. Good for her! Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 26 Feb 2019, 03:00

Wow, I’m so glad Ava was able to come so far and forge such strong connections after such a difficult start. Thanks for the excellent review of this well-titled book!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

gen_g
Currently Reading: Cry Baby Cry or Not
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Comrade Netai and the chronology Of His UG Days by sanjay Lahiri

Post by gen_g » 26 Feb 2019, 10:23

This sounds like an enlightening and inspiring read indeed! I love that there is so much emotion present in the book, and I'm sure that it will definitely hit me hard. I'm certainly going to keep an eye out for this book; thanks for the lovely review!

Salenahypolite

Post by Salenahypolite » 27 Feb 2019, 21:11

Bloom where planted

This story sounds enlightening and has an inspirational touch.
It shows how Ava has come to terms with the truth of her realities , she chooses to face them. It sounds interesting and I can’t wait to read the book. Thanks for the review.

Eva Darrington
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: Connecting With My Inner Me by Keesha Clayton Harris

Post by Eva Darrington » 28 Feb 2019, 01:08

This sounds like serious subject matter: trauma, abuse, addiction. I am always grateful to see these issues handled well by authors. Thank you for the great introduction to this important book.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

Morgan Jones
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: The Dark Beginning by RaJean Anderson

Post by Morgan Jones » 01 Mar 2019, 04:24

These days, I find it very rare that authors actually educate themselves before writing about sensitive topics. The book sounds like a breath of fresh air, and I'm grateful the author took the time to talk about trauma and abuse with the caution needed. Thank you for reviewing this.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 04 Mar 2019, 16:11

I'm in absolute awe for the abuse and trauma Ava endured and still overcame. It sounds like an inspiring read, but for right now I think I have to pass. Great review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq » 06 Mar 2019, 12:19

The Stories like Ava's are scattered around in societies. That's good that she was able to get out of her present condition with faith in God. Insightful review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”