Official Review: The United States of Opioids

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Spirits of the Land by Mark Gomes

Official Review: The United States of Opioids

Post by SpencerVo » 21 Feb 2019, 14:20

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The United States of Opioids" by Harry Nelson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stories about addiction used to employ the repetitive theme: either a nobody living on the fringes of society or a widely adored celebrity who lost his morals and surrendered himself to the euphoric lure of heroin. However, nowadays, things are not simplistic. As opioid abuse and opioid-related deaths have become prevalent among all walks of life, addiction should not be seen as a problem of morality anymore. We are asking the questions of how the crisis has reached this alarming peak and what we can do to alleviate the pain our loved ones are shouldering.

Harry Nelson is a healthcare lawyer having the misfortune to witness the unfolding of the opioid crisis in the past two decades. In 2017, it was directly responsible for approximately 49,000 deaths. Even worse, it is creeping up on one of the most innocent demographics: children aged ten to twelve. In The United States of Opioids, Nelson presents well-rounded observations and researches, from revisiting the first wave of opioid crisis in 1999, analyzing the underlying causes rooted in the changes of American society and economy, to explaining how we can tackle the problems from both systematic and interpersonal points of view. You can be assured that he will leave no stone unturned in the war against this “American healthcare’s self-inflicted wound.”

The book thoroughly illustrates how the crisis came to light and does not pull its punches when identifying the fundamental problems in America’s healthcare system. Nonetheless, the real highlights are the proposed solutions. He suggests drastic changes to every facet: healthcare, treatment strategies, government regulations, scientific research, and methods to build up dependable relationships and communities. The suggestions are extensive, specific, and sympathetic. I’m eager to see whether they will be implemented in real life and how they can help the victims of the crisis.

There are some arguments carrying strong impact, especially when dealing with Purdue Pharma’s aggressive and deceptive marketing schemes at the cost of patients’ health and lives, which will make you tremble with disgust and anger. Besides, the book has tiny pieces of wisdom containing insights about pain, gratification, and fulfillment. I hope some people will find them useful in difficult times to fight off depression and anxiety.

Harry Nelson has the logical head of a lawyer, the compassionate heart of a human, and the relentless spirit of an activist. The book is easy to read, understand, and digest thanks to the clear and concise writing style. In addition, he offers key takeaways for each chapter and provides many helplines and non-profit organizations’ addresses for people struggling with addiction to consult and share their stories with.

On the downside, when exploring the socioeconomic and psychological reasons for substance abuse, the author often resorts to deductions. While the insights make common sense, sometimes they resemble guesswork and subjective opinions; there are no concrete data and scientific studies to back up some statements. Such generic phrase as “many people have theorized that” may risk reducing the reliability of the book even more.

The author initially promises to recount some personal stories of his clients and acquaintances. However, they are sparse throughout the whole book. I wish there were more since there is nothing more resonant than a living person retelling the memories of a deceased beloved. The book also has many punctuation mistakes, especially concerning the misuse of commas.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The United States of Opioids is highly recommended to anyone who has acquaintances, relatives, or friends struggling with opioid addiction or those vulnerable to substance abuse. On the other hand, the book is unsuitable for impatient readers who are looking for a condensed snapshot of the crisis. It has some distressing details and challenging beliefs, so be prepared before reading it.

The United States of Opioids
View: on Bookshelves

Like SpencerVo's review? Post a comment saying so!
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.

Cecilia_L
Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Of Unsound Mind by Jennifer Cullen

Post by Cecilia_L » 02 Mar 2019, 09:00

I considered reviewing this book because it deals with such a relevant topic. It sounds like the author did a good job of shining light on the issue. Thanks for your enlightening review.

EvelynBlake
Favorite Author: Neil Gaiman
Currently Reading: Solaris
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evelynblake.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
fav_author_id: 3586

Post by EvelynBlake » 02 Mar 2019, 12:09

I was really interested in the book until I reached the half-way point of the review. I don't usually have the patience with a lot of unqualified guesswork in a non-fiction book. I am ambivalent about this one.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Post by kandscreeley » 04 Mar 2019, 10:48

I really thought hard about reviewing this one. I'm just afraid that the author and I would not see eye to eye. I am curious about what his proposed solutions are, but I almost guarantee that we would differ regarding the cause of the problem. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 04 Mar 2019, 21:30

There are some arguments carrying strong impact, especially when dealing with Purdue Pharma’s aggressive and deceptive marketing schemes at the cost of patients’ health and lives, which will make you tremble with disgust and anger.
Within the last year I watched a documentary about the opioid crisis. It supports the above statement; in fact, big pharma companies also played on the doctor's guilt of not doing everything they could to control the patient's pain. I remember feeling disgusted with the lies and deception committed by them. This sounds like an informative book. Thanks for the comprehensive review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Emjopin
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2018 Reading Goal: 11
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emjopin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Emjopin » 10 Mar 2019, 11:25

The review gave me an insight as to the author's analysis and gathered facts about opioid. Opium has caused almost 90% of the world's woes -- bloodshed, narcopolitics, and psychosocial problems. This is a sensitive issue as it deeply involves the healthcare system. Thanks for insinuating the gruesome effects tackled. It laid bare the alarming morbid consequences of drug addiction.
Based on its relevance and global urgency I give it a 4 out of 4.

Eva Darrington
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html
Latest Review: My Rabbit in the Moon by Mandy Mazure

Post by Eva Darrington » 11 Mar 2019, 11:15

It's a shame the author didn't do his research about the work that has been done on the roots of addiction. There is scads of research that shows a strong neuropsychological component - that a history of trauma underlies addiction. There are people who take their Vicodin like the doctor said to and never become addicted. And there are those who end up heroin addicts. History of trauma is a key factor. While it sounds like this book has good aspects, it could have included better research. Thanks for the great review.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. -Scott Adams

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”