Official Review: Forensic Foraging

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Re: Official Review: Forensic Foraging

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

I don't find that it sounds interesting when I read a book it needs to be a story or I quickly become disinterested. Poetry can be interesting but reading about art doesn't catch my interest.
Lana Shea
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lana-shea.html
Latest Review: The End-Time Foretellers by Ran Weber

Post by Lana Shea »

Sounds like a worthwhile read for those who enjoy photography and poetry. A great combination of interests. Thanks for the review!
Mabongajoan2019
Currently Reading: Arsenic and Old Men
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Mabongajoan2019 »

The review is super perfect.I am not a poetry type but I love the part of essay and photography. I am looking forward reading it.Thank you.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Combination of photography and poetry! That one of the amazing thing about this book that I like. All showcasing the beauty in the mundane. Great review, But I don't think I will read the book. I am not a fan of poetry.
darbybj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 803

Post by darbybj »

"Forensic Foraging," by William Crawford and Jim Provence is a collection of essays, photography and poetry. This book is a philosophical approach to modern digital photography. The authors are saying that borrowing approaches some of the best American photographers in history used and applying them today to show they are still useful is what photography is all about. The authors feel that different places are similar in one aspect for all photographers in that they look at them each to find the out of the ordinary in them. Some of the pictures in this book are colorful buildings, rusted signs, broken windows and crowds with individuals that stand out. The essays are mainly about the adventures the photographers have had or the methods behind getting their photographs. The poetry makes up the last section in this book. The poetry is similar to the pictures. They are both colorful and unique. I think anyone who likes art and photography will really enjoy this book. The authors definitely make you look at art and photography in a different way after reading this book. This was well written. I will give this book 3*'s.
abarrett775
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by abarrett775 »

This sounds like an art photography book I have never knew I was looking for. Despite my interest in photography, I have not found my nisch with it or the reason behind my interest. Now being informed on this photography style I realize those kinds of pictures are the ones that capture my attention; those photos of condemned houses, old rusted signs on streets that aren't as busy. They capture my imagination and bring on a mystical feeling of another's long lost memories, of times long gone and forgotten. I can't help but wonder, "What kind of life and of how many did these mundane things bare witness to? What stories could they hold?" Forensic Foraging is where I am going to start my journey into the world of photography. Very curious on what the poems would be about; the essays sound informative much like the 'behind the scenes' from a movie. Maybe I now have found my perferred area of photography, if not, it could direct me to it.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

Admittedly, when I read the synopsis on the Amazon page and started flipping through the first few pages of the book I thought it was going to be more of a "how to" sort of introductory guide to photography and tips and tricks relevant to getting the best shots. I'm glad I got to read your review, or else I likely wouldn't have given this book a second chance. I love art and photography, but a book dedicated to telling you how best to do anything artistic really disinterests me.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A collection of essays, photography, and poetry that reveals the beauty in the mundane sounds very engaging. Poetry and essays with cololorful pages is eye-catchy. I'd love to check this one out. Thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

I think that I will be passing on reading this book. While enjoy taking pictures and photography as a whole, it doesn't sound like this is a book that will one that interests me. I'm not interested in essays and poems concerning how a photographer is inspired or comes across something to use in their pictures. I'm sure that others will enjoy but this book is not a good fit for me.
unidhi05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unidhi05.html
Latest Review: Voice of the Elders by Greg Ripley

Post by unidhi05 »

Great review. Describing images in the form of poetry - sounds amazing for me. A definite read, saving it on my bookshelves right away!
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I had no idea that there exists a style of photography called forensic foraging. So cool! The formatting of this book is alone worth a perusal: just gorgeous!
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I like seing pictures of a random busy street or a person in the middle of a crowd, and its so interesting that there is a book like this which tells us what are behind those photographs and how they do it. I am not really into photography and the art behind it, I am just an audience of these masterpiece. However, I am a fan of poetry, so I'll give this book a chance.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

I enjoy a good book of poems and these poems sound exceptional according to the review. I like that the photographers found beauty in every day life or a place most shy away from.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The cover (though not shown here) is fascinating. I found the Amazon sample interesting, too. I only wish there were more photographs.

I enjoyed your review. "Found art," "beauty in the mundane," and pictures of precious scrap are calling my name.
Kimberly Grow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberly-grow.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Kimberly Grow »

I have a friend who partakes in this type of art. The photos in this book are exceptional and I could look at them all day. I love poetry and the essays telling about the shots sound fascinating. I will definitely be giving this book a read. Thank you for the wonderful review.
"If you don't see the book you want on the shelf, write it." -Beverly Cleary :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”