Official Review: Forensic Foraging

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Official Review: Forensic Foraging

Post by HRichards »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Forensic Foraging" by William C. Crawford and Jim Provencher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finding the beauty and artistry in everyday life has become popular with photographers and artists of late. Crowded streets and urban settings have a poetry all their own. Abandoned buildings and deserts evoke a similar mood in a different way. All of these locations have the similar theme of finding the extraordinary in the commonplace for photographers. Forensic Foraging by William C. Crawford and Jim Provencher provides not only a handbook for those interested in this type of art, but it also shows a variety of mediums of expression for the curious.

Forensic Foraging is a collection of essays, photography, and poetry that reveals the beauty in the mundane. Pictures include rusted signs, abandoned houses, broken windows, individuals in crowds, and colorful buildings, all of them showcasing a certain stunning quality of their own. The essays included in the book mostly ruminate over the adventures or methods that the photographers used to get their pictures. The last section of the book features poetry that evokes a similar mood to that of the photography. The pictures and poems feel worn and gritty, but also evidence a unique style that isn’t unpleasant.

I ended up giving Forensic Foraging 4 out of 4 stars. The writing is exceptionally good. I was unable to find any grammatical errors in it, and the poetry is all well-formatted. People interested in art or photography should really enjoy this book. The pages are colorful and the neat, and I enjoyed the variety of mediums that the authors used. I admit I’m not a huge fan of poetry, but this book had a very enjoyable selection of poems. The essays mostly describe the ideas behind the style of “found” art that celebrates beauty in the mundane. The authors clearly enjoy the style of art they are making, and they encourage others to try out this type of photography. The poetry might not seem to go along with a book of photography, but I found the addition of this section to fit right in. The photography is stunning in its own unique way.

The only downside I could find to this book is that it might not be for those uninterested in art or photography. This is an art book, and those looking for a heart-pounding read might want to look elsewhere. The poems and essays are to set a mood, not provide a lot of excitement.

On the whole, I found Forensic Foraging a very interesting read. Not only is the book very professionally edited, but it provides a fascinating spin on what people consider traditional art. I may never look at an abandoned building the same way again.

Forensic Foraging
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like HRichards's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

I am not a fan of poems as I always find them hard to portray, however the art in this book has piqued my interest. Thanks for an informative review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not sure about the essays, but I would be very interested in the photography. It's amazing that such dilapidated things can become beautiful through the lens of a camera. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I was able to attend an exposition of "Photo of the Year." How the photographers were able to capture such amazing scenes is intriguing to me. Other than the pictures, I would be interested in reading about the photographers "secrets." Your review has piqued my curiosity.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

What an interesting book! I know very little about poetry or photography, but I do enjoy things that "reveals the beauty in the mundane." This seems like a great book for people interested in this kind of art. Thanks for the review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am interested in viewing the photographs in this book, as I thoroughly enjoy the beauty found in everyday things viewed from creative angles.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I'm a photographer and this book sounds perfect to improve my expertise in the architectural field. Looking through a camera lens, at its end is another world. Great review! Thanks!
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

I may never look at an abandoned building the same way again.
That's a powerful statement and says quite a bit about William C. Crawford and Jim Provencher abilities. I like looking at photographs and can't wait to get this book. Thanks for the great review! :techie-studyingbrown:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

This sounds like a wonderful offering! I love photography, and this book seems to be a wonderful combination of photos and written work. Thanks for your review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Finding the "beauty in the mundane" - as you put it - makes it feel like reading the book would be an enriching experience. Thanks for this review!
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

This book sounds like it would be a perfect read for a rainy day, and I'll probably check it out! Thanks for the review :)
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

It's interesting to see a non-fan of poetry enjoy a collection of poems - speaks volumes about the book.

Loved reading your review, as always!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Beauty in the mundane sounds interesting.

Thank you for the detailed review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Oh, I think I would love this book! Found art, photography, and poetry. Sounds luscious. I would enjoy the poetic explorations about discovering the images. I imagine not everyone would relate to that. For me, it would be great. Thanks for the fun introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

An art book about digital photography and other mediums sound cool. Mixing poetry, essays, and photography in one book is unique. Colorful and the neat pages add to the enjoyment. That it was well edited is another plus. I am not a fan of poetry or photographs, but I am glad you enjoyed the book. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”