Official Review: The Transformation of a Lost Soul (secon...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
LV2R
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: Accelerated Stroke Recovery!
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: The Transformation of a Lost Soul (second edition) by Forrest J. Beverly Sr.

Official Review: The Transformation of a Lost Soul (secon...

Post by LV2R » 10 Feb 2019, 06:31

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Transformation of a Lost Soul (second edition)" by Forrest J. Beverly Sr..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Transformation of a Lost Soul: My Spiritual Journey (second edition) by Forrest J. Beverly, Sr. got my attention because of the title. Transformation means change, and I like to read about true stories of people changing.

Forrest shared about his life in an orderly and intentional way. He grew up in a small town of Texas with his parents and three siblings in the ‘40s. His father was an alcoholic and very abusive to Forrest and his older brother. However, his mother, who had a lot of common sense, had a positive influence on him. Forrest described his interest and involvement in playing music, attending college, working as an undercover cop with the DEA in Miami, and other experiences in his autobiography.

Forrest not only shared about his father’s abuses, life’s tragedies, and encounters with racism but also he recounted the many people who had a good influence upon his life. He learned early in life that not all white people were bad and not to judge people by the color of their skin. He was disgusted with church people who acted evil and who were non-caring. For most of his life, he felt that God abandoned him and thought he had to depend only on himself. He was quite angry with God, not understanding how God worked in people’s lives. Read the book to find out what changed Forrest’s mind about God. You will be inspired as you read his honest and open accounts of his life and experiences.

I best liked that the author wrote in a very interesting, engaging, and story-telling way. His life was truly interesting! Though he is not a famous person, he has met several famous people. I learned a bit of history, facts, and tidbits of many different topics. The way he wrote made me like him, and it seemed like I could actually know his character and personality.

I least liked the parts about his father’s abusive, selfish, and unbelievable actions toward his family. However, Forrest was able to learn a good work ethic from his father and made decisions to be a better man than what he saw and experienced from him.

Though there were several errors in the PDF, they did not distract me from enjoying the story. It read smoothly and was easy to read and understand. The inclusion of so many people in his story made it more interesting as well as the lessons that he has learned from difficult and good times. Therefore, I rate The Transformation of a Lost Soul 4 out of 4 stars. This book would appeal most to people who enjoy reading autobiographies that have a purpose in sharing life (though sometimes really difficult) lessons. Though the author’s story is not a religious one, it is a heartfelt and down-to-earth story that gets to the matter of true faith.

The Transformation of a Lost Soul (second edition)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 12 Feb 2019, 03:08

Transformation means change, and I like to read about true stories of people changing.
Me too!

Sounds like Forest’s life and personal journey is interesting indeed. I’m interested in how he was able to take the good lessons and overcome the bad. Thanks for your thoughtful review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

SamSim
2019 Reading Goal: 120
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 3
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: Motivational Spirit : How to Keep Yours Solid as a Rock! by Robert L Kirby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 12 Feb 2019, 08:48

"For most of his life, he felt that God abandoned him and thought he had to depend only on himself. He was quite angry with God, not understanding how God worked in people’s lives. Read the book to find out what changed Forrest’s mind about God. You will be inspired as you read his honest and open accounts of his life and experiences."
I'm eager to find out what changed his mind. I love stories like this one. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 12 Feb 2019, 09:19

I'm glad this one is written in an interesting way; books like these can often be boring. I'm also interested in the fact that the author shared the positive and negative influences. Still, this genre isn't appealing to me at this time. Nice review, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 12 Feb 2019, 09:35

This book really intrigues me. I would like to discover what changed his mind about God being angry at him. I appreciate your high praise for the author's compelling writing style. Thanks for this excellent review.

Rose Harebate
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Rose Harebate » 12 Feb 2019, 14:11

Most of the people who grew up in abusive families turn to mirror what they encountered with. However, I like the fact that instead of being just like his father, Forrest chose to be a better man. Enjoyable review!

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 12 Feb 2019, 21:05

I wish more people would learn early on not to judge people by the color of their skin.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

PGreen
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading: Silence in the Age of Noise
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: Salt of the Earth by Kate Moschandreas

Post by PGreen » 14 Feb 2019, 13:38

I love autobiographies and memoirs where I can step into another person's shoes and experience life from their perspective, but it is important that the person be easy to relate to by some common element. It sounds like the author achieved this and I'm eager to read to find out just how he was transformed. It also sounds like a painful read, given his family circumstances and experiencing blatant discrimination. Thanks for the thorough review!

Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: Nobody's Safe
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: White Night by J.J. Holt

Post by Amanda Deck » 14 Feb 2019, 18:18

What I think I'll like most about this is finding out just HOW he managed to overcome abuse in childhood. I've known too many people who had to deal with that and would love to see what helped Forrest be able to change the mindset that often brings about.

InStoree
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by InStoree » 15 Feb 2019, 10:28

It's interesting how people find God, most of the time, in hard times, through suffering. And Forrest had enough of those. I do wonder if he is one of those who discovers spirituality in a moment of extreme happiness moment. Thanks for your nice review!
'You just have to Trust Your Own Madness' - Clive Barker :tiphat:

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: The Sparrow
Bookshelf Size: 594
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » Today, 04:20

I'm not interested in biblical or books about God, but a person who has a transformation in life is worth looking at. Thank you for your valuable critiques!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”