Review by zukylala -- The Biblical Clock

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
zukylala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zukylala.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Review by zukylala -- The Biblical Clock

Post by zukylala »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Firstly, a notable work like 'The Biblical Clock' always comes off as ambitious. The subtitle does suggest as much: 'The untold secrets linking the universe and humanity with God's plan'; it reads. It also feels apparently derived as such inquiries tend to be. Part convincing and grandiose in turns and daresay deserving of interest; howbeit, there seems to be a guild of scholars who are sworn to secrecy, that laymen like the rest of us ought to listen to or otherwise shoot! If we must.

And even as all the expedient theorizing on the aforesaid is necessary to get across the message, it is easy to get lost in it for the not so well read. People will surely be piqued at the subject matter like I was but unlike me, their enthusiasm might wane as they trudge on through its pages. Thus I recommend it to the more intelligent beings among us.

True its intentions are good and this sort of topic has a large following the world over to the extent that this work might feel tedious even tiresome. Yet from what I gather, it does reflect new light albeit only just and attempts to connect the dots which hitherto were disparate or random even. Maybe this same train of argument only reinforces the eternal notion of a streak of predestination liable to nature and God. Even Isaac Newton, of all people makes an appearance at some point in this tapestry of events. As are less well known characters like Kaplan, Gosse, Isaac Samuel, Vital etc But tellingly, Jesus the Christ doesn't feature or did I miss something? Namely, my adopted Jewish bone!

And for what its worth, the tag team in the persons of Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon do seamlessly deliver the material where narration helps to convey their point of view in good cadence. The caveat being chapter 10, chiefly because of the fictional factor as alluded to by the same. As such the concluding 'end of days' argument sounded a bit too speculative as it was laid out, as if the most brilliant exposes on the subject will always come up short by default. Hence, a quote from the book itself stating; "every plan becomes suddenly self-evident when enough of it has played out", thus suggesting both scholar and layman ought to imbibe some patience towards the cycle of seasons or else this book is merely one more in as many attempts to decipher the signs of the times. To that effect, we might as well stop looking but only hope.

Aside from its more intellectual bent, it presented a good enough diversion, at least to me. I liked that the authors were resourceful to the point of enlightening us, and realigning the core theories, even if that was all they were able to achieve. Therefore, I give this work a rating of 3 out of 4, seeing its a more esoteric work that not everyone can entirely appreciate.

The Biblical Clock
View: on Bookshelves

Like zukylala's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”