Official Review: Finding Your Coach by Melinda J. Kelly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: Finding Your Coach by Melinda J. Kelly

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding Your Coach" by Melinda J. Kelly.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In life, people hope to reach certain goals and make some changes that will benefit them. It can be a difficult task to figure out how to attain these goals, and for some people, knowing which direction their lives should be heading in isn't their strong suit. This is where a coach comes into play. One can employ the services of a life coach, financial coach, career coach, sports coach, or health and wellness coach, and the choice of a coach depends on what one aims to achieve. However, finding the right coach is an even more difficult task. In Finding Your Coach: Diving Deep Within, Melinda J. Kelly offers advice on the things to consider when trying to find a coach. In three parts of the book, the author summarizes how one can find the right coach by knowing one's self, knowing the coach, and defining success on one's own terms.

I've worked with several coaches to achieve a few things. From my parents to teachers at school, supervisors at work, and fitness coaches. Some experiences worked out well and some didn't. But I've never really settled down to think about why some of them didn't work out, until now.

The book begins by asking a series of questions that help us determine if we are introverts or extroverts. The author believes that determining if we are introverts or extroverts will help in self-discovery and development when answering some interesting questions featured in the book, like "Do you seek parental approval? Do you need to be a nice person? Do you need to be the smart person? Do you need to have everyone like you? Do you have issues with authority figures? Do you need to be loved? Do you think you are so smart already that you don’t listen?" The author goes further to give us advice on how to go about answering each question with real answers and not just answers we want to hear.

I really enjoyed reading the first part, as it was like I was having an interaction with the author. The book didn't feel like it was just about finding a coach. It went beyond that at times by giving the readers useful life advice, which made it feel like the book was a coach. The question I really related to the most was the one about seeking parental approval always. The author stated that "we learn to please our parents, then our teachers, then our professors, then our bosses, and then our spouses." There is always the tendency to transfer this attitude towards a coach, but Melinda adviced us to focus on ourselves more than pleasing the coach.

The author includes several personal stories that will make the book more relatable to the readers, like when she used comparisons between her, her mother, and her grandmother to help the readers to better understand how the definition of success differs to different people. Including John F Kennedy Jr's motivational story to show the importance of doing things at your own time also helped. However, there were certain stories I didn't relate to, like the story of the person who had a mental health issue and favoured working with an energy/healing coach over seeking professional medical help. There were also a few abbreviations that weren't explained in the book, like MD, LCSW, and MFCC. This wasn't a common occurrence, but it disrupted the flow of my reading when it occurred, and this was what I least liked about the book.

Finding Your Coach is exceptionally well edited. I didn't find a single error throughout the book. I also liked the way the book was organized. I liked the quotes from philosophers, like Aristotle and Lao Tsu, included at the beginning of each chapter. These quotes gave me a lot to think about and set the tone for each chapter.

Finding Your Coach is an educative book. Even though I've known about some of the things the author talked about before now, there were still a lot of things that I learned. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I mentioned a few complaints above, but I don't think they are good reasons not to give this book the maximum rating. I would recommend this book to people who are interested in acquiring the services of a coach and people who want to know more about self-discovery and development.

Finding Your Coach
View: on Bookshelves

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

I feel like I need to find a coach already; not by reading the book, but your review. We certainly need to read educative books as much as any other. Bottom-line, good job on the review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am intrigued by the quotes appearing at the beginning of each chapter along with the questions to help lead to self-discovery and development. Thank you for the great recommendation.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is a bit of a different direction for a self-help book. It's not something I wish to pursue at this time, though. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
chewy4uto
Currently Reading: Betrayal of Justice
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chewy4uto.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by chewy4uto »

I have heard about people hiring a life coach, but never read about one. I suppose in some ways we all in one way or another could benefit from having a life coach. But for those of us who can't afford one what better way to acquire the benefits of one than by reading about it. I enjoyed reading your review. Great job!
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I haven't really thought of finding a coach but I think I need one ASAP. I'm very much intrigued by this book, I am interested about the stories that were given. Thanks for a wonderful review!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Interesting! This seems useful as various "coaches" became a common aspect of modern life, and choosing what will make sense for a given person to pay for becomes more difficult to discern. Good review.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book could be a useful took for people searching for direction in their life. Th author's questions are insightful to get readers started down the right path. You did a great job summarizing this book.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

The book addresses a very important issue and from your review, i can figure out the the author has done a really good job to give the solution of the problem.
Thanks a lot for the review Prospero☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”