Official Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Official Review: Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose

Post by Cecilia_L » 06 Feb 2019, 11:45

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Get Out of My Bed" by Shirley Wooten Rose.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Get Out of My Bed by Shirley Wooten Rose is the nonfiction account of the author’s marriage to an abusive partner. From early warning signs to the progression of the emotional, mental, and physical abuse she experienced, Rose candidly shares her story and how she finally managed to escape. Although she wrote her memoir thirty years ago, domestic violence continues to be a relevant social issue.

The book begins with a list of ten "rules" related to the care and cleaning of the refrigerator alone. Rose relates that failure to strictly comply with any given demand might result in a "reprimand" from her husband and abuser. Regardless of her diligence to maintain a spotless home, she was unable to please him. Rose and her daughters constantly walked on eggshells. The tension and stress emotionally drained her and physically affected her health. Despite her pleas to go to marriage counseling, her husband only went three times, then refused to go anymore. Rose hopes her memoir will prevent others from entering or staying in abusive relationships.

Rose's writing style is informal and sincere. At times, she even manages to infuse a touch of humor despite the horrific circumstances she endured. Rose conveys an accurate portrayal of an abuser's manipulative mindset and patterns of control, which I recognize from a previous abusive marriage. I most liked the practical advice she provides for those dealing with abusive relationships. Rose offers insight regarding the early warning signs of an abusive personality plus the importance of documentation and financial acumen.

In addition to the abuse Rose suffered at the hands of her husband, her divorce attorney's actions can only be described as negligent. I empathize with the frustration and helplessness she experienced. I also understand that writing about the circumstances was probably cathartic. However, I felt the author crossed a line by filling pages with copies of every legal document, itemized details of her ex-husband's debt, and disputes of her attorney's fees. Summarizing the issues and providing a sample would have made the point without requiring readers to wade through pages of financial paperwork. Unfortunately, because of oversharing in this regard, six of the sixteen chapters read like one long rant. Even so, the book is a helpful resource for victims of domestic violence. Overall, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars.

The book appears to be professionally edited. I recommend it to readers who are concerned about warning signs of an abusive personality and those seeking to end an abusive relationship. However, I caution readers who may be triggered by sensitive content pertaining to domestic violence.

Get Out of My Bed
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!

Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Anthony__ » 08 Feb 2019, 07:43

I really feel for Rose. Based on your review, I think some information about legal documents should have been excluded. Great review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 08 Feb 2019, 08:24

It sounds like the author had quite an experience. I can't imagine going through something like that. I definitely agree with you about the pages of court documents. I think that's a bit much. Still, if you skip that, it would probably be an interesting book to read. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 08 Feb 2019, 08:37

Anthony__ wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 07:43
I really feel for Rose. Based on your review, I think some information about legal documents should have been excluded. Great review.
Thanks for your comment, Anthony.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 08 Feb 2019, 08:38

kandscreeley wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 08:24
It sounds like the author had quite an experience. I can't imagine going through something like that. I definitely agree with you about the pages of court documents. I think that's a bit much. Still, if you skip that, it would probably be an interesting book to read. Thanks.
Thanks for your comment.

Nyambura Githui
2018 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby

Post by Nyambura Githui » 08 Feb 2019, 11:09

The author's experience is saddening, I feel for her. Having gone through such abuse and coming out strong is such an encouragement to many. Great review.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 08 Feb 2019, 11:45

Nyambura Githui wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 11:09
The author's experience is saddening, I feel for her. Having gone through such abuse and coming out strong is such an encouragement to many. Great review.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 08 Feb 2019, 13:43

My eyes widened in astonishment a couple times while reading your review. I am glad Rose was able to escape such awful abuse and hope the book helps others free themselves from similar circumstances.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 08 Feb 2019, 14:05

It seems like the author is still struggling with the aftereffects of her relationship. She had the courage to write about her past and publish her book - something which would probably trigger her ex!! I admire you for choosing this book knowing what you were getting into. Hopefully this book will be a useful tool for many others. Thanks for your sensitive review of this moving story.

BoookWorm616
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by BoookWorm616 » 08 Feb 2019, 16:04

This whole book suggests the author has been through an eventful past but I agree with what you say about the legal documents regardless a good read all in all

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 08 Feb 2019, 16:18

Jessacardinal wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 13:43
My eyes widened in astonishment a couple times while reading your review. I am glad Rose was able to escape such awful abuse and hope the book helps others free themselves from similar circumstances.
Thanks for your sensitive comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 08 Feb 2019, 19:10

kdstrack wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 14:05
It seems like the author is still struggling with the aftereffects of her relationship. She had the courage to write about her past and publish her book - something which would probably trigger her ex!! I admire you for choosing this book knowing what you were getting into. Hopefully this book will be a useful tool for many others. Thanks for your sensitive review of this moving story.
Thank you for your kind comment. :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 08 Feb 2019, 19:10

BoookWorm616 wrote:
08 Feb 2019, 16:04
This whole book suggests the author has been through an eventful past but I agree with what you say about the legal documents regardless a good read all in all
Thanks for your comment.

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 10 Feb 2019, 13:35

The book begins with a list of ten "rules" related to the care and cleaning of the refrigerator alone.

Good God.

I am so sorry that she did not have a divorce attorney who had her back, but I agree that the inclusion of so many detailed documents sounds inappropriate.

Anything that brings additional attention and allows survivors to share their stories is a good thing, though. Thank you for your thoughtful review. :romance-heartbeating:
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 10 Feb 2019, 16:34

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote:
10 Feb 2019, 13:35
The book begins with a list of ten "rules" related to the care and cleaning of the refrigerator alone.

Good God.

I am so sorry that she did not have a divorce attorney who had her back, but I agree that the inclusion of so many detailed documents sounds inappropriate.

Anything that brings additional attention and allows survivors to share their stories is a good thing, though. Thank you for your thoughtful review. :romance-heartbeating:
Thanks for your comment, Belle.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”