Official Review: Shifting Perspectives

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
KristyKhem
2019 Reading Goal: 150
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 120
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Emergence of Modern Brain and the Build-Up of Imaginary Civilization by Dan M. Mrejeru

Official Review: Shifting Perspectives

Post by KristyKhem » 03 Feb 2019, 13:25

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Shifting Perspectives" by Lavitia Brunson-Arnold.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shifting Perspectives by Lavitia Brunson-Arnold is a non-fiction book designed to help people understand their belief patterns and change their outlook on life. In this way, they can overcome challenges and create the life of their dreams. The book includes personal anecdotes, advice, and motivational quotes. Readers will find new meaning in these as the author bridges the gap between old and new perspectives of daily living. Parts of the book are also dedicated for notes which encourage readers to engage in healthy self-reflection.

I am someone who is always looking for new ways to metamorphose into the best version of myself so I really enjoyed this book. What I enjoyed most in this book was the way the author described thoughts, words, actions, and interactions. She compared them to seeds in the garden of life. According to her, we can intentionally plant positive seeds which will ensure that we achieve positive results. This was extremely profound. Although I have never come across this metaphor for positivity before, it makes the concept of self-development seem relatable and easy.

There was also a quote in the book which I really liked. It said:
“Do something every day
No matter how small
That gets you one step closer to realizing your dreams”

This quote was the most motivating one in the entire book. It summed up one of the author’s insightful experiences. She used to come home from work every day with the need to relax and unwind from the day. Then one evening she realized that she wasn’t putting any effort towards her goals. From that day, she began to map out her life and take the steps required to achieve her dreams. After reading this anecdote and the quote, I felt inspired to begin mapping out my own plans for the future.

I also liked that the book was reader-friendly. It was written in simple language and the concepts discussed were easy to understand. The text was typed in a large font which made it easy on the eyes. Moreover, there were spaces for readers to make notes. This was an interactive feature which many readers will appreciate.

There was nothing that I disliked about this book. It seemed professionally edited because I only came across one minor typo. I am awarding the book 4 out of 4 stars because it was inspirational, reader-friendly, and the concepts put forth by the author helped me to view my life in a new way. I would recommend this book to anyone who is working on their personal development. Teachers and counselors may also find useful advice in this book which they can impart to their students and clients. However, Shifting Perspectives may not appeal to readers who don’t like self-development books.

Shifting Perspectives
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!

Nyambura Githui
2018 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby

Post by Nyambura Githui » 05 Feb 2019, 00:46

I always enjoy a book of encouragement to improve in life. The author seems to have put things in perspective. Great review.

Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Susmita Biswas » 05 Feb 2019, 04:31

I don't like non-fiction but the use of quotes attracted me. So now I really want to read the book.

nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss » 05 Feb 2019, 06:27

I also like reading quotes and books that will easily make me feel good. I also commend the author using simple words. Thanks for the review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 05 Feb 2019, 08:42

I do enjoy the quote that you included. It's simple and yet thought-provoking. I'm really not in the mood for yet another self-help book at the moment. However, this one is enticing. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 05 Feb 2019, 10:06

I agree with your analysis that we can learn something new from each new author who shares their experiences with us. The advice of making one small daily effort towards our goals can result in great achievements. The idea of planting positive seeds in our minds is so motivating. Thanks for this inspiring review!

BelleReadsNietzsche
2019 Reading Goal: 36
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche » 05 Feb 2019, 12:37

I also like the quote you included! I enjoy books about being one’s best self, and the struggle to do more than just go to work and then unwind and then reset is real. Thanks for the review and the recommendation !
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

KristyKhem
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Emergence of Modern Brain and the Build-Up of Imaginary Civilization by Dan M. Mrejeru

Post by KristyKhem » 05 Feb 2019, 13:21

Susmita Biswas wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 04:31
I don't like non-fiction but the use of quotes attracted me. So now I really want to read the book.
You'll really enjoy reading it! Its simple to understand and really motivating. Thanks for commenting Susmita!

KristyKhem
Currently Reading:

Post by KristyKhem » 05 Feb 2019, 13:22

kdstrack wrote:
05 Feb 2019, 10:06
I agree with your analysis that we can learn something new from each new author who shares their experiences with us. The advice of making one small daily effort towards our goals can result in great achievements. The idea of planting positive seeds in our minds is so motivating. Thanks for this inspiring review!
You are most welcome! Thank you for sharing a thought on my review! Have a great day :)

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 05 Feb 2019, 22:38

KristyKhem wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 13:25
I am someone who is always looking for new ways to metamorphose into the best version of myself so I really enjoyed this book.
I also enjoy finding new ways to try to better myself. This sounds like a very interesting book. Thanks for the review!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 08 Feb 2019, 01:08

What I enjoyed most in this book was the way the author described thoughts, words, actions, and interactions. She compared them to seeds in the garden of life. According to her, we can intentionally plant positive seeds which will ensure that we achieve positive results.

It's interesting that Lavitia Brunson-Arnold encourages self-motivation, self-improvement by comparing thoughts, words, actions, and interactions to seeds. It makes sense because any personal success doesn't happen overnight; it starts slowly. Thank you for the insightful review. I've put the book on my want to read list.

:techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”