Official Review: Bare Feet, Chicken Beaks and Blackberry ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Official Review: Bare Feet, Chicken Beaks and Blackberry ...

Post by Cecilia_L » 03 Feb 2019, 08:37

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bare Feet, Chicken Beaks and Blackberry Pie" by Marti J. Powell Shrigley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Memories, no matter how large or small, by themselves seem insignificant. But when collected and placed in a mental collage, they manifest into an intricate picture of what we call life."

Bare Feet, Chicken Beaks and Blackberry Pie by Marti J. Powell Shrigley is a collection of "modern-day parables." Written in first-person narrative and from a Christian perspective, Shrigley shares memories of her family, childhood mischief, school, holiday celebrations, and life on a farm. She reflects on her feelings as the middle child between two sisters and her struggles with typical sibling rivalry and jealousy, as well as learning acceptance of herself and others. Some chapters are peppered with humorous family anecdotes while others address life’s challenges. Though Shrigley has faced loss and illness, she chooses to focus on the positive while sharing her faith with those she encounters along the way.

With 146 pages and occasional family photographs, this uplifting collection is a relatively short read that I finished in one sitting. While mediocrity is the term Shrigley uses to summarize her life, " ...the middle child of three sisters in the middle of the century to middle-class parents," I found nothing mediocre about the book. It's well-written, exceptionally edited, and entertaining. Shrigley's conversational writing style reads as though she might be sharing her story over a cup of coffee with a friend. Readers will be amused by the mischievous antics of three sisters living on a farm during simpler times, as well as the nicknames Shrigley gives her teenage boyfriends, "Mr. Muscles," and "Green Eyes." Her insight is also impressive; Shrigley describes looking through opposite ends of an old pair of binoculars and offers a poignant comparison of their views with aging and looking back over one's life.

I particularly enjoyed the author's light-hearted approach and positivity despite having faced some formidable challenges in her life. Shrigley is outspoken about her Christian beliefs but doesn't sugarcoat her experiences or flaws, and readers will appreciate her transparency. Shrigley consistently prioritizes sharing her faith with those who cross her path and practices what she preaches by forgiving those who have wronged her.

I honestly can't name a thing I disliked about this inspirational book. I am pleased to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It's a reflective read with a touch of humor--perfect for curling up with on a quiet afternoon. I recommend the book to readers who appreciate Christian memoirs. It will also appeal to those who enjoy stories related to farm life and growing up during the fifties and sixties. On the other hand, readers who dislike reading scriptural references will prefer to pass on this one.

Bare Feet, Chicken Beaks and Blackberry Pie
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!

Rose Harebate
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Rose Harebate » 07 Feb 2019, 05:16

It seems like a great read that holds the author's memories of her family, childhood mischief, school, holiday celebrations, and life on a farm. Nice review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 07 Feb 2019, 08:51

Oh I'm definitely intrigued!! Modern day Christian parables? I can't wait to see what the author comes up with! I think parables are a great way to get a point across, but I think we miss some from the Bible because we just don't live in that society any more. Thanks so much for introducing us to this book!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 07 Feb 2019, 11:06

I like the author's perspective of writing parables about her experiences on a farm. People who work with the earth often have a different perspective on life. Her positive outlook is also motivating. This book sounds like it would be a good weekend read as you suggest it can be finished in one sitting. Thanks for this wonderful recommendation.

PGreen
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading: Silence in the Age of Noise
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: Salt of the Earth by Kate Moschandreas

Post by PGreen » 07 Feb 2019, 11:31

I love parables as an entertaining way to convey a life lesson. Combine parables with memoir, and this sounds like an amazing book. I just moved it to the top of my list!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 07 Feb 2019, 13:18

Rose Harebate wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 05:16
It seems like a great read that holds the author's memories of her family, childhood mischief, school, holiday celebrations, and life on a farm. Nice review!
Thanks, Rose.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 07 Feb 2019, 13:18

kandscreeley wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 08:51
Oh I'm definitely intrigued!! Modern day Christian parables? I can't wait to see what the author comes up with! I think parables are a great way to get a point across, but I think we miss some from the Bible because we just don't live in that society any more. Thanks so much for introducing us to this book!
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 07 Feb 2019, 13:19

kdstrack wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 11:06
I like the author's perspective of writing parables about her experiences on a farm. People who work with the earth often have a different perspective on life. Her positive outlook is also motivating. This book sounds like it would be a good weekend read as you suggest it can be finished in one sitting. Thanks for this wonderful recommendation.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 07 Feb 2019, 13:20

PGreen wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 11:31
I love parables as an entertaining way to convey a life lesson. Combine parables with memoir, and this sounds like an amazing book. I just moved it to the top of my list!
Thanks for your comment.

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 07 Feb 2019, 15:33

I am drawn to others who are able to speak of the misfortunes in their lives without seeming defeated by them. These types of people are inspiring to be around.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Mbrooks2518
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading: Angels and Demons
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by Mbrooks2518 » 07 Feb 2019, 16:29

Sounds like a well written memoir, but not one I'd want to read. Great review, though!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 07 Feb 2019, 16:48

Jessacardinal wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 15:33
I am drawn to others who are able to speak of the misfortunes in their lives without seeming defeated by them. These types of people are inspiring to be around.
I agree. Thanks for your comment, Jessa.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 07 Feb 2019, 16:49

Mbrooks2518 wrote:
07 Feb 2019, 16:29
Sounds like a well written memoir, but not one I'd want to read. Great review, though!
Thanks for your comment.

CLM1978
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clm1978.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by CLM1978 » 16 Feb 2019, 17:40

This sounds like a good read. I will check it out if I get the opportunity. Thank you for sharing!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 18 Feb 2019, 17:40

CLM1978 wrote:
16 Feb 2019, 17:40
This sounds like a good read. I will check it out if I get the opportunity. Thank you for sharing!
You're welcome. Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”