Official Review: Christianity from the Eyes of a Child

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Official Review: Christianity from the Eyes of a Child

Post by Cecilia_L » 31 Jan 2019, 17:56

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Christianity from the Eyes of a Child" by Floy fenelon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Genesis 1:1

"The first time I read and understood these words about how God created the universe brought a peaceful feeling inside my heart and mind, and the conviction that a puzzle I had worked at for almost twenty years had finally been solved. Reading these biblical facts initiated an eye-opening effect that would snowball over the next ten years, resulting in the revelation of the full truth about creation and my purpose here on earth."

Christianity from the Eyes of a Child: Creation's History from the Bible: Science Had It Right All Along by Floy Fenelon will challenge readers’ fears and beliefs related to creation, religion, and God. As a child, Fenelon pondered where God came from, and as a young adult, temporarily rejected the Judeo-Christian beliefs of his Catholic upbringing. However, after studying science, evolution, time, and the Bible--which he previously hadn't read--Fenelon arrived at a different conclusion. Now, he shares his journey with readers in hopes of helping them prepare their hearts for Christ's return.

Fenelon introduces interpretations of certain scriptures that may be viewed as controversial. However, I appreciate that he prepares readers in advance. I won't expound any further, as the synopsis offers few details, and I don't want to expose any spoilers. Fenelon has a knack for stringing together thought-provoking passages that balance his research of science with scriptures; consider the following lengthy, but apt excerpt. "Yet the fact that Christ came to earth born of a virgin, died a brutal death, and arose three days later from the dead is perhaps the most scientifically unreal story; yet time on earth is recorded around that single event, the birth, death, and resurrection of Christ, and this is perhaps the best collection of events that help to transcribe the divine existence of the Bible, in how unreal it sounds, and yet how integrally tied to our daily life it is."

On the other hand, I find it disturbing that Fenelon seems to place more emphasis on good works than faith in Christ, which in itself, is contradictory to the scriptures he references. Considering the topic of the book, I am also baffled by Fenelon's statement, "Some can do just fine and attain eternal life without openly accepting that there is a god..." Say what? While I respect his choice of beliefs, I object to the contradiction of his carefully documented content throughout the rest of the book. Also, regarding Fenelon's use of scriptures, the book contains pages and pages of scriptures listed verse by verse, as well as several parables, to prove his points. I certainly have no objection to scriptural references, but I prefer to read the Bible for these types of passages. As it is, the book seems longer than necessary and would have been more concise and easier to follow minus the excessive pages.

Overall, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. It appears to have been professionally edited and may serve as an excellent resource for readers who prefer a scientific approach to scriptural teachings. However, it may not be the book for Christians who identify with the biblical teaching of salvation by grace through faith in Jesus.

Christianity from the Eyes of a Child
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 02 Feb 2019, 09:26

I love your insights on this book! The contradictions would frustrate me too. As you point out in your comments, the Bible is not meant to be scientifically proven but simply accepted by faith. Thanks for your impressive writing and analysis.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 02 Feb 2019, 11:05

kdstrack wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 09:26
I love your insights on this book! The contradictions would frustrate me too. As you point out in your comments, the Bible is not meant to be scientifically proven but simply accepted by faith. Thanks for your impressive writing and analysis.
Thank you. :tiphat:

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 02 Feb 2019, 11:27

I agree with many of the points you make in your review. Scripture is best straight from the Bible. I prefer to go to other books to read additional material as opposed to repeated material. I am concerned about the author emphasizing good works over faith-based salvation and, therefore, truly appreciate the last sentence of your review.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 02 Feb 2019, 12:59

This is not really what I thought it would be based on the title. In addition, I'm questioning some of the ideas he spouts. I don't agree with him. Therefore, I doubt I'll read book. Thanks though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 02 Feb 2019, 13:43

Jessacardinal wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 11:27
I agree with many of the points you make in your review. Scripture is best straight from the Bible. I prefer to go to other books to read additional material as opposed to repeated material. I am concerned about the author emphasizing good works over faith-based salvation and, therefore, truly appreciate the last sentence of your review.
Thanks, Jessa.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 02 Feb 2019, 13:44

kandscreeley wrote:
02 Feb 2019, 12:59
This is not really what I thought it would be based on the title. In addition, I'm questioning some of the ideas he spouts. I don't agree with him. Therefore, I doubt I'll read book. Thanks though.
I appreciate your comment.

Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Chrystal Oaks » 03 Feb 2019, 20:10

Considering the topic of the book, I am also baffled by Fenelon's statement, "Some can do just fine and attain eternal life without openly accepting that there is a god..."

This is baffling. How can someone have eternal life and not admit there is a god? Also the part about good works only and no faith is troubling. I know in the Book of James, the author states that faith without works is dead, but it sounds like Fenelon doesn't state this concept. I want to read this book to learn more. Thanks for the great review!

:reading-6:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 05 Feb 2019, 09:58

Chrystal Oaks wrote:
03 Feb 2019, 20:10
Considering the topic of the book, I am also baffled by Fenelon's statement, "Some can do just fine and attain eternal life without openly accepting that there is a god..."

This is baffling. How can someone have eternal life and not admit there is a god? Also the part about good works only and no faith is troubling. I know in the Book of James, the author states that faith without works is dead, but it sounds like Fenelon doesn't state this concept. I want to read this book to learn more. Thanks for the great review!

:reading-6:
Thanks for your comment Chrystal. :tiphat:

Evb621
Currently Reading: A Long Walk to Water
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Evb621 » 10 Feb 2019, 22:27

A scientific approach sounds like it may help the scriptures make more sense to those that may feel lost or confused. May be worth taking the time to read the book.

PGreen
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
Currently Reading: Silence in the Age of Noise
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: Salt of the Earth by Kate Moschandreas

Post by PGreen » 17 Feb 2019, 15:22

Thanks for your candid and honest review. Before I pick up the book, I would like to know his method of Biblical interpretation. Is he a literalist or does he interpret metaphorically? While this might be considered a spoiler, I would like to know upfront.

Evb621
Currently Reading: A Long Walk to Water
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Evb621 » 18 Feb 2019, 01:59

I just finished the book. Very well written and challenging. I guess if you only read what you agree with your mind will never grow...Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”