Official Review: The Values String by Ukpeme Akpan Okon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Kelebogile Mbangi
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 145
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: The Values String by Ukpeme Akpan Okon

Official Review: The Values String by Ukpeme Akpan Okon

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi » 28 Jan 2019, 06:02

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Values String" by Ukpeme Akpan Okon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Values String is a motivational nonfiction book by Ukpeme Akpan Okon.

Within the pages of this short, creative book, the author urges readers to shake off feelings of self-condemnation, guilt, and regret. She presents readers with a simple, implementable technique to turn their lives around. With this technique, you use your core values as affirmations, which in turn motivate you to action.

I enjoyed the author's presentation of "the tripod" system, which states that to attain success, one must balance and maintain their mental, spiritual, and physical health. This system complemented the implementation of the technique discussed in the previous paragraph.

I loved the author's tone. Her voice came across as strong, motivational, and warm. Reading The Values String feels like getting that well-needed pep-talk to help you get back on track. The feeling of the book was further enhanced by the songs that the author wrote and included in some of the chapters. Some of these songs help you to feel calm and at peace, while others help you to muster up the courage you need.

I disliked the author's choice of diction. The words used are unnecessarily complex, which might put off some readers altogether. I feel a simpler choice of diction could have improved the flow of ideas and improved the efficiency with which ideas were conveyed. Some of the quotes included also used very complex language, causing them to go right over my head.

Overall, I believe The Values String reaches what it sets out to do. The techniques explained have helped me. I also loved that I was able to complete it in one short sitting. Thus, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. I am going to deduct a star for the grandiloquent language use. However, this book was well-editted. I recommend it to readers who would like a quick, yet long-lasting dose of motivation. However, it only works if you implement the techniques.

The Values String
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss

Rose Harebate
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Rose Harebate » 07 Feb 2019, 06:51

The author seems to be passing the great tips like shaking off feelings of self-condemnation, guilt, and regret. Too bad the language is complex. Great review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 07 Feb 2019, 08:40

I can't believe the author wrote an included songs. That sounds incredibly interesting! Still, I'm not sure I'm in the mood for another self-help book at the moment. Thanks, though!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”