Official Review: The New Face Of Entrepreneurship

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Official Review: The New Face Of Entrepreneurship

Post by Cecilia_L » 27 Jan 2019, 08:54

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The New Face Of Entrepreneurship" by Michael Taylor.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"An entrepreneur is simply someone who receives compensation for a product or service," Michael Taylor defines the topic of his nonfiction book, The New Face of Entrepreneurship: An Entrepreneurs Guide to Joy, Passion, and Profits in Business. The concise book offers a comprehensive look at defining entrepreneurship in a new light and prioritizing the types of compensation as spiritual, emotional, and financial.

After experiencing success as a manager for a multi-million-dollar building company in his early twenties, Taylor went through a divorce and bankruptcy. Based on the 25-year experience of transforming his life, he shares insights on the needed requirements for being an entrepreneur, making a difference as a compassionate entrepreneur, and learning to trust your intuition. The importance of relationships, being fiscally responsible, embracing failure, and dreaming big are also addressed. Additionally, the author includes resources for seeking additional income as a “solopreneur,” the benefits of being coached and mentoring others, and ultimately, serving others while experiencing joy, passion, and profits in your business.

The book is organized, well-written, and flawlessly edited. The author's writing style is informal and conversational, and his presentation of information is easy to follow. He is particularly adept at creating metaphors to illustrate his thoughts. For example, he uses the computer as a metaphor by comparing body, mind, and spirit with the computer's hardware, software, and operating system, respectively. His point is further exemplified by explaining that computer software and programming can be changed, as can thoughts and spiritual understanding.

My favorite aspect of the book is the author's unique perspective of prioritizing compensation as an entrepreneur. Based on his belief that everyone has a divine purpose, spiritual compensation is his first priority. When we discover that purpose, the rest will follow. However, the author clarifies he is not advocating, "...sitting around praying, visualizing, and believing things are going to just show up for you." I particularly like Chapter 10, "Side Hustles and Solopreneurs." In this chapter, the author addresses the high percentage (85) of people who hate their jobs--not dislike--hate. The staggering stat from the 2017 Gallup Poll is an eye-opener, but it's the author's response and the creative resources he shares that I appreciate, including his interesting play on words--”solopreneurs.”

On the other hand, while the author appropriately cites his references, nine of the twelve chapters include paragraphs and in some instances, articles, from other sources. My issue isn't with the quotes the author uses to introduce each chapter; I dislike the too-many-chefs-in-the-kitchen element created by a disproportionate amount of content written by someone other than the author. Also, I found some of the terms the author coins as proper nouns off-putting, such as "Massively Transformative Purpose" and "Universal Radio." Personally, I tend to view these buzzwords by a more humorous term the author also uses, "spiritual woo-woo." For these reasons, I rate the resourceful book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who are interested in a fresh approach to entrepreneurship. It may also appeal to those who are interested in seeking extra income as “solopreneurs.”

The New Face Of Entrepreneurship
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!

DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by DogoMulla » 28 Jan 2019, 05:56

I certainly feel the urge to read this book. As an entrepreneurial spirit myself, it's very likely I'd have much to learn here. Good work.

nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss » 28 Jan 2019, 08:11

I am curious about how the author's spiritual compensation and how to apply that in real life. Thanks for the review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 28 Jan 2019, 08:36

I dislike books that rely too much on other sources, as I would rather just read those other sources. Add to that the fact that I'm not an entrepreneur and I probably won't read this book. I'm glad that you were able to find something useful, but it's not for me. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Anthony__ » 28 Jan 2019, 09:30

I think I love how the author simplified things. From your review, it is very easy to follow the author's instruction. I totally agree with this statement "he uses the computer as a metaphor by comparing body, mind, and spirit with the computer's hardware, software, and operating system, respectively." I am going to read this book. Great review!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 28 Jan 2019, 10:20

DogoMulla wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2019, 05:56
I certainly feel the urge to read this book. As an entrepreneurial spirit myself, it's very likely I'd have much to learn here. Good work.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 28 Jan 2019, 10:20

nonamer_miss wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2019, 08:11
I am curious about how the author's spiritual compensation and how to apply that in real life. Thanks for the review!
He makes a good point. Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 28 Jan 2019, 10:21

kandscreeley wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2019, 08:36
I dislike books that rely too much on other sources, as I would rather just read those other sources. Add to that the fact that I'm not an entrepreneur and I probably won't read this book. I'm glad that you were able to find something useful, but it's not for me. Thanks.
I understand. Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 28 Jan 2019, 10:21

Anthony__ wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2019, 09:30
I think I love how the author simplified things. From your review, it is very easy to follow the author's instruction. I totally agree with this statement "he uses the computer as a metaphor by comparing body, mind, and spirit with the computer's hardware, software, and operating system, respectively." I am going to read this book. Great review!
Thanks, Anthony.

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 28 Jan 2019, 13:54

I love that the author expands the discussion beyond financial compensation. Spiritual and emotional compensation is much more rewarding in the grand scheme of things.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 28 Jan 2019, 16:17

It's interesting that the author includes a spiritual aspect to his learning curve of failures and successes. His focus isn't only on financial success. This approach intrigues me Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful review of this book.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 28 Jan 2019, 20:25

Jessacardinal wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2019, 13:54
I love that the author expands the discussion beyond financial compensation. Spiritual and emotional compensation is much more rewarding in the grand scheme of things.
I agree. Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 28 Jan 2019, 20:27

kdstrack wrote: ↑
28 Jan 2019, 16:17
It's interesting that the author includes a spiritual aspect to his learning curve of failures and successes. His focus isn't only on financial success. This approach intrigues me Thanks for the thorough and thoughtful review of this book.
He makes some interesting points. Thank you. I appreciate your comment.

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Journey Through Hell Almost to Heaven by Mel King

Post by teacherjh » 30 Jan 2019, 11:35

I mentor clients on financial success, and some of them want to start businesses. This could be a good resource.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 31 Jan 2019, 07:41

teacherjh wrote: ↑
30 Jan 2019, 11:35
I mentor clients on financial success, and some of them want to start businesses. This could be a good resource.
I agree. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”