Review by nonamer_miss -- Bluewater Walkabout

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review by nonamer_miss -- Bluewater Walkabout

Post by nonamer_miss »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Bluewater Walkabout" by Tina Dreffin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A lot of us dream of getting away, sail, put the life we always live behind and travel without much thought. Enjoy every activity that new places offer, sink with the beautiful sceneries we always take for granted and meet new people, but only a few get up and embark for the adventure, one of them is the author, Mrs. Tina Dreffin and her family.

Bluewater Walkabout: Into Africa is a travel memoir of Tina Dreffin narrating her, and her family's adventure and misadventures in their journey to the wild safari in Africa, Capetown, to a tropical island rich in history located in the southern Atlantic called Saint Helena, then to Brazil, Grenada and finally Back to the USA. This book will take your emotions on a roller coaster journey. It is hilarious, heartwarming and inspiring.

I don't usually read memoirs because I don't really give much thought on how other people live their life and most of the time, I find them boring.  I'd rather read a fantasy or crime fiction and poems, but this book is different, It is enchanting. I find it hard to put down this book once I started reading it. The author is a stellar storyteller. She did more than just writing, describing or narrating. She made me feel like I was there on their journey, that I was with them. I cried and laughed with them. I felt her pain when she shared about her excruciating experiences. She let me in their catamaran and sail with them and I truly enjoyed the ride. This book gives a real account of what it is like to live on a boat.

Whilst others may find some contents of this book disturbing like sexual assault, miscarriage, depression and foul language. I believe these are essential because these things happened to the author and what made her who she is today, some may even relate to her and I appreciate her sharing these painful and dark experiences. I also like that the author takes her time to include references to help rape and sexual assault victims as well as those who suffer from miscarriage and people diagnosed with cancer.

What I don't like about this book is its misleading title. People who pick this book because they are interested in Africa may be warding off the fact that the things that happened in this book does not solely happened in Africa . Nevertheless, I still give this fantastic book a 4 stars out of 4. I really enjoyed reading this book, I also did not notice any grammatical error. I recommend this book to people who enjoys reading memoirs and people who likes to travel and adventures.

Bluewater Walkabout
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like nonamer_miss's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
2021 Reading Goal: 105
Currently Reading: Joey - The Man from Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 526
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Sister Jane by Irmgarde Brown

Post by kdstrack »

It is always wonderful when an author makes you change your mind about a certain genre. This author's powerful writing really draws the reader to her story. Thanks for your interesting and compelling review.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I like that you make the case for this book even for those who don’t like memoirs, although I confess to being a memoir fiend. :-) I agree that it sounds like the more painful or serious content is relevant and necessary. Thank you for this thoughtful review!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”