Review by allisonpat -- How to Define Yourself

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
allisonpat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allisonpat.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Review by allisonpat -- How to Define Yourself

Post by allisonpat »

[Following is a volunteer review of "How to Define Yourself" by Chuck Clifton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How to Define Yourself by Chuck Clifton is a self-help book on how to define yourself in a way that makes you proud of who you are. Clifton explains how to define yourself by using the Stimulus-Space of Time-Response model. He uses this model throughout the book in his examples in order to explain how it is used effectively. Clifton uses examples, definitions, ideas, and experiments (things that you can try on your own) to guide you in defining yourself.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book because I learned a lot about myself. I also found some of the experiments relevant to my own life that I cannot wait to try. I liked that the headings were very explanatory without being too long, and the strong heading titles made it very easy to find a specific idea. I also enjoyed that the headings were in color, even though it did not affect the book in any way, it still was a fun touch to the normal black and white books. My other favorite thing about How to Define Yourself was that Clifton used many different examples that were all from different genres. He talked about sports, shopping, school, children, and many other topics that allows the book to relate to anyone and everyone.

There was not a lot that I disliked about this book. I felt better about myself after reading it and am so far benefitting from the content. However, if there was one thing I wish were different, it would be that the book went into more detail. There was a lot of good content, but there were times when I wanted a longer or more detailed explanation of the different ways to define myself.

I recommend this book to anyone who needs help in deciding who they want to be. If you have trouble finding out who you are, this book is extremely helpful to get you to where you want to be. It is also great that the book is on the shorter side, so it does not take long to read and then apply it to yourself. I would also recommend this book to anyone who needs a self-esteem or self-confidence boost as Clifton shows us how to make choices that make us confident in ourselves.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is very well-written with minimal to no errors. Clifton has a strong voice throughout the book, and it is an easy read. Besides wanting a little more detail, it was a great book that taught me how to respond effectively to the world around me in order to define myself the way I want instead of what other people try to tell me to be.

How to Define Yourself
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like allisonpat's review? Post a comment saying so!
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I just read the first ten pages of this one and do also like the general applicability of the text and terminology. Real-world scenarios are something that bombard us daily with stimuli. Thanks for providing your insights as well!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”